Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > 1857 Smith Artillary Carbine , Pietta , Pics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 12:12 AM   #1
KAB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1857 Smith Artillary Carbine , Pietta , Pics

This is the Current 2011 Civil War Smith Carbine Reproduction from Pietta .
The rifle was used extensively in the Civil War and was carried into the migration West with the Settlers also . Rifle is circa 1857 .
The rifle is .50 Caliber , but technically it takes a .522 sized down to .518 in mine , bullet is 360 grains . Original cast bullets for the Smith were 280 gr. and measure .515 , but I find these sloppy in the cases , so I use swagged bullets sized to fit my Smith Cases . Cases come in three configurations as you will see in the photos , Brass Target case , alluminim full high power load , and the rubber/plastic cases . I find the brass and alloy cases to be the best as long as you lube the entire cartridge prior to inserting them in the chamber . I use a small bench top arbor press to seat my bullets into the cases . Brass case takes between 35 and 40 gr. BP slightly compressed , Alloy can take up to 50 gr. BP slightly compressed , and the rubber/plastic cases can take no more than 40 gr. BP and will rupture if you overload them . I stick stricktly to the metal cases . I guess you could call this a 50/50 Black Powder Rifle , 50 grains BP in a .50 Barrel . With a .360 gr. Bullet , this rifle will knock you on your A$$ if your on the recieving end for sure , and makes a handy little carbine Deer Rifle .
This rifle is the example of Transitional Rifles just prior to self contained cartridge guns like the Sharps and Spencers . There is a tiny hole in the base of the cartridge case and is set off by the external Musket Cap the Smith uses , per shot . Very neet little carbine , very accurate , very expensive at $875 , but is extremely beautiful and fit and finish are near flawless as you can see on my example . Well worth the money in my opinion for such a cool Rifle . It comes in beautiful Walnut and the Color Case Hardening and blueing are flawless and beautiful too . It also comes with Ladder Style rear sight with nice german silver blade set in a nice dovetailed steel base front sight , very classy set-up . Guys and Gals that are fond of break-open Shotguns will LOVE this rifle , shoot , shuck , and load , over and over and over , its quite fast to get many shots in one minute with her . There is little surprise how many soldiers were killed by the Smith Carbines in the Civil War , this gun was state of the art fast for back then , and even now its quick with me behind it , LOL , hee hee hee .

Enjoy the Pictures :

GET YOURS TODAY THEY ARE MORE FUN THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE !

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-25-2012, 01:35 AM   #2
KAB

By the way , I noticed they are currently on sale at Dixie Gun Works for less than I paid last year , go figure !
Dang Murphey and his Law anywayz !

Last edited by KAB; 01-25-2012 at 01:40 AM.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:04 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1719 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 3624

Wow. Very cool rifle. I never heard of em before. Thanks for posting.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:15 AM   #4
KAB

Default Someones gotta do it besides us two , LORDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by towboater View Post
Wow. Very cool rifle. I never heard of em before. Thanks for posting.

Thanks Kentucky Boy , told ya you NEEEEEEEED one too
I guess all the guys and gals that shoot up the CASS and SASS shoots have mostly switched over to the Smith from the Sharps for eaze of loading , light recoil and fast follow up shots , for sure .
I just happeend to run accross an article in a magazine years ago from Navy Arms when Val Forgett' started having them built again , and that's how I found out about um , always wanted one , and my dream came true even if I kicked and screamed over the price Till I got one and now I understand how nice they are made and got no problems with the price
I wish you lived closer Towboater , we could have quite the shootout with all we got in the collections , yours growing constantly now , LOL . But it would be a real hoot no less .
I sure wish this forum would kick it up a notch on the BP Muzzloader part of it, but seams everyone is into black rifles and 1911's . Alot of learkers here and not many posters ? Hope that changes, I am trying my hardest to get things rollin here regardless , hope it inspires someone into posting something ! LOL

Last edited by KAB; 01-25-2012 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Terrible spelling , LOL