1842 Harper's Ferry ram rod
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > 1842 Harper's Ferry ram rod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 190 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Default 1842 Harper's Ferry ram rod

I need an original ram rod for my musket. The original rods are threaded on the small end to acept the worm and screw. The rod I have is a repro, and is not threaded, and too small to do so. The internet has been no help. Has anyone seen or know a good place to look for this item? I have the original worm and screw and I would like to be able to use the rod for more than just to load. I have posted this on the want section too.

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

Did you check Dixie gun works?

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Yep, they only had reproduction rods

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,

Old 09-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

If they don't have it you may be in trouble.
Is it a steel rod?

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

It's probably iron. I guess that the only thing I can do is to get a bolt that fits the worm, and to drill a hole through it lengthwise, and braze it onto the end of the repro rod. Wish I had a lathe, could center the hole perfectly then

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,

Old 11-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Get a short, fat rod - bigger that the parts you're fitting, and long enough to hold them. Drill a tapping thread hole all the way through, reasonably close to center. Then drill a snug hole to fit the rod (or your adapter) half way through, using the first hole as a guide. Now, you can place this jig over the rod/adapter and use it to guide the tapping drill on center.

When tapping the resulting blind hole, stop frequently to clean out the shavings. You can stick a magnet on the side of an awl and rub its point around inside the hole to get out most of the shavings.

Hope this helps - cheaper than a lathe.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:56 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1344 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 1446

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM2Grunt View Post
I need an original ram rod for my musket. The original rods are threaded on the small end to acept the worm and screw. The rod I have is a repro, and is not threaded, and too small to do so. The internet has been no help. Has anyone seen or know a good place to look for this item? I have the original worm and screw and I would like to be able to use the rod for more than just to load. I have posted this on the want section too.
http://www.lodgewood.com/1842-SpringfieldHarpers-Ferry-Smoothbore-Brass-Ramrod-_p_490.html

When all else fails.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1344 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 1446

So did you find an original ramrod for your musket ? I am going to venture & say NO !.......The site I posted, Lodgewood they are premiere makers of reproduction ramrods made right here in the U.S. of A. Chances are you will NEVER find an original. If someone sells you a Muzzleloader complete & tells you that every thing is original, he`s lying to you, because I would be safe in saying 9 out of 10 of every muzzleloader ever built has had the ramrod replaced at least once, just some FYI, hope this helps you some !..............

When all else fails.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:53 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Nope, never found one. I tried to contact the people at the site you suggested, and never got an answer back as to what the diameter of their rod is, ans if I can thread it to accept the original worm I have. I may have mentioned that I have a repro rod, but it is too small to thread. In the interim, I have made a 3/8 slotted aluminium rod to use for cleaning the H.F. Bore was a little rough, so I also put a Scotch-brite pad through the slot and scoured the bore. Not too may rust spots. Mainly at the muzzle,

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,

Old 11-22-2013, 05:34 AM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Do a search for piano wire. It is tempered roundstock that is perfect for making a rod as close to original as possible. Original rods are tapered so diameter varies the entire length of the rod. I would just pick a piece of
"wire" that is closest to the mid point diameter of the original rods.