Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   1842 Harper's Ferry ram rod (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/1842-harpers-ferry-ram-rod-97279/)

HM2Grunt 09-18-2013 07:54 PM

1842 Harper's Ferry ram rod

I need an original ram rod for my musket. The original rods are threaded on the small end to acept the worm and screw. The rod I have is a repro, and is not threaded, and too small to do so. The internet has been no help. Has anyone seen or know a good place to look for this item? I have the original worm and screw and I would like to be able to use the rod for more than just to load. I have posted this on the want section too.

mountainman13 09-18-2013 07:55 PM

Did you check Dixie gun works?

HM2Grunt 09-19-2013 01:21 PM

Yep, they only had reproduction rods

mountainman13 09-19-2013 01:39 PM

If they don't have it you may be in trouble.
Is it a steel rod?

HM2Grunt 09-19-2013 05:28 PM

It's probably iron. I guess that the only thing I can do is to get a bolt that fits the worm, and to drill a hole through it lengthwise, and braze it onto the end of the repro rod. Wish I had a lathe, could center the hole perfectly then

skip 11-14-2013 02:30 PM

Get a short, fat rod - bigger that the parts you're fitting, and long enough to hold them. Drill a tapping thread hole all the way through, reasonably close to center. Then drill a snug hole to fit the rod (or your adapter) half way through, using the first hole as a guide. Now, you can place this jig over the rod/adapter and use it to guide the tapping drill on center.

When tapping the resulting blind hole, stop frequently to clean out the shavings. You can stick a magnet on the side of an awl and rub its point around inside the hole to get out most of the shavings.

Hope this helps - cheaper than a lathe.

303tom 11-15-2013 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HM2Grunt (Post 1376135)
I need an original ram rod for my musket. The original rods are threaded on the small end to acept the worm and screw. The rod I have is a repro, and is not threaded, and too small to do so. The internet has been no help. Has anyone seen or know a good place to look for this item? I have the original worm and screw and I would like to be able to use the rod for more than just to load. I have posted this on the want section too.

http://www.lodgewood.com/1842-SpringfieldHarpers-Ferry-Smoothbore-Brass-Ramrod-_p_490.html

303tom 11-19-2013 02:16 PM

So did you find an original ramrod for your musket ? I am going to venture & say NO !.......The site I posted, Lodgewood they are premiere makers of reproduction ramrods made right here in the U.S. of A. Chances are you will NEVER find an original. If someone sells you a Muzzleloader complete & tells you that every thing is original, he`s lying to you, because I would be safe in saying 9 out of 10 of every muzzleloader ever built has had the ramrod replaced at least once, just some FYI, hope this helps you some !..............

HM2Grunt 11-20-2013 03:53 AM

Nope, never found one. I tried to contact the people at the site you suggested, and never got an answer back as to what the diameter of their rod is, ans if I can thread it to accept the original worm I have. I may have mentioned that I have a repro rod, but it is too small to thread. In the interim, I have made a 3/8 slotted aluminium rod to use for cleaning the H.F. Bore was a little rough, so I also put a Scotch-brite pad through the slot and scoured the bore. Not too may rust spots. Mainly at the muzzle,

musketshooter 11-22-2013 04:34 AM

Do a search for piano wire. It is tempered roundstock that is perfect for making a rod as close to original as possible. Original rods are tapered so diameter varies the entire length of the rod. I would just pick a piece of
"wire" that is closest to the mid point diameter of the original rods.