1800's rifle & shotgun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > 1800's rifle & shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1800's rifle & shotgun

I am looking for any information on two old guns that were handed down to me. They are supposed to be from the early to mid 1800's.

The first is a musket rifle either a 32cal or 36cal with a hexagon barrel and the name (Joseph Golcher) no other information found on the side plates or the barrel.

The other is a Double barrel musket shotgun, with the name (Fred k Simes) on the side plate. On the barrel is the words (London fine twist) and the letters ( EJ65 ) ( ct ot ) ( 11xEJ65 ).

Any information on these guns or where to find information would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks PineKnot

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-06-2009, 11:33 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8835 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

Well, pictures usually help- A LOT. Joseph Golcher was from the Philadelphia area in the 1800s, and was a lockmaker- that is, he made the locks for guns. Many a local smith would get one part from one maker, another from another, add them to the parts he made, and you had a gun. That's why you have his name on the lock- good advertising for him.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #3

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I was looking into your 2 weapons yesterday and had to quite to get some other stuff done but I will try and find out more on them if possable.

What I have found so far is that the names on them are the Lock makers name. Joseph Golcher was the lock maker for your rifle and Fred k Simes was the lock maker for your shotgun.

The company that manufactured the shotgun may be an English company that used the words London fine twist to sell their guns. There is some indications that they may of had a small manufacturing company also here in the U.S.

The dates that these shotguns could of been manufactured in were between 1801 to 1900.

Take a real good close look at the barrel and chamber area of the shotgun and see if there is any stamping on or around them, look for 2 numbers one may say 12 and the other may say 13 or 14.

The rifle I would need some more info on maybe a pic or two, also does the stock of the shotgun have anything carved into the wood?

Old 02-10-2009, 02:42 PM   #4

Default 1800's rifle & shotgun

Thank's for the information you have provided. I will take pictures of them and try to get macro pictures of the number's and letter's and add them to the post..

Thank's Pinknot

Old 02-21-2012, 11:34 PM   #5

Default london fine twist

yes certenly pics will help I to am looking for more info on these remarkable firearms. Just came across a excellant one that still has the origanal ram-rod.It also has a door on the right side of the butt-stock for the wadding. Having a reall difficult time pinning down a time frame. Have you removed the foreend and looked for any makers marks. That was a comon place for these firearms.