Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Your opinion: Best Tactical .22

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm going with H&R.

Be Well.
lotsoffreetime Likes This 
Old 08-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilage66
I'm going with H&R.

Lol I'm not sure whats tactical about a revolver. Then again a tactical lever action and muzzle loader have been made so it's not unheard of. Throw a picatinny rail and an optic or light system on it and we'll call it tactical

Old 08-06-2011, 11:33 PM   #23

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recomm View Post
Thats pretty freakin tactical. Now just throw a fore grip on and you've got a decent looking cqb weapon
I had a Magpul VFG on it but preferred it with out.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:52 PM   #24

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recomm View Post
I bought my M&P 22 for $425 nib which was an excellent deal considering I was thinking of the .22 conversion kit for my M4 that was going to run almost as much. I have nothing against the ruger I just prefer the look and functionality of the m&p. It comes stock with a picatinny quad rail from the removable rear sight to the removable front sight which allows for lots of toys to be put on it. Along with that is a charging handle and bolt release similar to an actual AR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
If you plan to use an AR-15 or M-4 and have the extra money, it helps your muscle memory to practice with a .22 version of your larger caliber rifle. Just make sure to equip your .22 with the lasers, lights, slings and other goodies from your big gun so that you have the same weight and train your body the exact same way with your .22. Make sure all the switches, battery packs, spare mags - EVERYTHING - is in the exact same place as the big gun. You don't want to re-adjust when you go to your serious caliber. This is a cheap way to train yourself to have good tactics when you do pick up the "Big Gun" and start clearing the house!!
Recomm & TekGreg pretty much summed it up for me.

I have multiple Beretta, Springer, and Walther 9mm Pistols, and a 9mm Beretta Carbine. I also have Ruger and Beretta .22 pistols.

As for .22 Rifles, I have a M&P 15-22 I bought in November, and a Sig 522, I picked up about two weeks ago.

Nothing at all against the Ruger 10/22, as it's an exceptional rifle. I just prefer the Tactical Rifle style. My wife has a Marlin 795, which she loves.

I have my 15-22 decked out like I want it. I'm primarily a Bench-Shooter with most of my rifles, but I also like the ability to carry a lightweight rifle and shoot standing, now and then. Keeps me in practice. That's where the Sig 522 came in.

I was looking for a .22 Tactical Rifle, which would let me use it as a Trainer for the Larger Caliber version, sometime in the near future. I'm looking at either the Sig 556 or the AR-15. So, I bought the 556's little Brother, the 522, and it's been a fantastic shooter from day one.

Between the M&P 15-22 and the Sig 522, I couldn't chose one over the other. They're both outstanding shooters! A lot of Pros for both, and no Cons to speak of. Sure... they're more expensive than the Mossbergs and the 10/22's, but I'm Retired/Retired, and these are my Retirement Toys, so I can splurge a bit. Here are a couple of pics of my 15-22 and 522:

The Target is from my 15-22 with Simmons Whitetail 6.5-20x50 Scope at 75 yds. The small groups, were the round Red Bullseye Stickers that come with the Targets. Gives me multiple chances to hone my skills, and not have to change out the target every few minutes:

Of the 4 Rifles the OP mentions on the opening post, none are a bad buy. As for taking out a Meth Head breaking in..... a .22 won't cut it..... he won't even feel it. That's why I keep a 9mm Semi-Auto loaded with Federal HST's by the bedside..... THAT'LL stop a Meth Head for sure!

Cheers!

BB

"The Floggings will continue, until Morale improves!"

Old 08-08-2011, 09:39 AM   #25

Has anyone shot both the s&w and ruger 1022? I am trying to decide between both of these. Asside from looks, can anyone comment on accuracy, and feel. I see the ruger is about 3.5lbs vs. 5lbs. That actually is a lot of difference when standing for a while and not bench shooting. How about reliability, able to use any type of bullet (I have a sig mosquito and not all brands will work well). Cleaning differences? Would seem that the S&W is more complicated? I am not making my decision at all on the fact that I can get 2 rugers for one S&W. Trying to decide if I have one 22 rifle, which should it be. thanks.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:31 PM   #26

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman View Post
Has anyone shot both the s&w and ruger 1022? I am trying to decide between both of these. Asside from looks, can anyone comment on accuracy, and feel. I see the ruger is about 3.5lbs vs. 5lbs. That actually is a lot of difference when standing for a while and not bench shooting. How about reliability, able to use any type of bullet (I have a sig mosquito and not all brands will work well). Cleaning differences? Would seem that the S&W is more complicated? I am not making my decision at all on the fact that I can get 2 rugers for one S&W. Trying to decide if I have one 22 rifle, which should it be. thanks.
I shot a 10/22 in the early '70's, when I was in High School. It was highly accurate. As far as I know, the 10/22 has been around since 1964, and is a Rimfire Rifle Icon. The 15-22 has been extremely reliable for me, and extremely accurate after shooting it for the last year. The only Ammo I shoot out of it is Win 36gr 1280 fps, and it works perfectly. It's the same Ammo I use in my Sig 522. I get it at Walley World for $15.47 for a Box of 555 Rounds.

As for cleaning, looking at the 10/22, it looks like it's built similar to my wife's Marlin 795. In order to remove the Bolt for cleaning, you have to remove the Stock from the Action and Barrel assembly, then break the Bolt and internals down, depending how deep you want to get into the cleaning.

The 15-22, as with my 522, is a breeze to clean. I have two Push Pins that I can pop out, and break the rifle down into two parts, Upper & Lower Receiver, or just pop out one Push Pin, and open the Action of the rifle. Either way allows me to easily remove the Bolt Assembly for cleaning. Here are a couple of Videos of the Ruger 10/22 and the M&P 15-22 Break Down:

Ruger:

S&W:

You can decide for yourself, which would be easier for you to clean after each Range Trip.

Best of Luck!

Cheers!

BB

"The Floggings will continue, until Morale improves!"

Old 08-08-2011, 11:37 PM   #27

thank you for a nice explanation of the 2. appreciate it.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:25 PM   #28

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Ruder 10/22 you can do just about anything to them

Old 11-23-2011, 05:35 AM   #29

Here is my ruger with tapco stock.Aint finished yet but thats half the fun!

rug3.jpg   ru5.jpg  

Old 11-23-2011, 03:44 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundermonty View Post
well, i silenced .22 is the best assassination weapon but thats not what i want it for. i want one for a run and gun weapon. or, if a meth-head is breaking in, and thats all i have nearby, a flash hider makes any gun look like a much bigger caliber. i just want to see what other people prefer. i am a small shooter so i'll probably get the 10/22 tapco because of the stock.
If someone on meth is breaking into your home, a .22 isn't going to stop them. Get a 12 guage pump action shotgun and load it with #4 ... problem solved.

Closed Thread