Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Winter Olympics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 01:22 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1387 Times on 941 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Default Winter Olympics

The Winter Olympics are right around the corner. Some of the best marksmen in the world will gather for Olympic shooting. One of my favorite events is the biathlon. The biathlon is one of the harshest tests a marksman can face. The marksman will be forced to shoot with his/her heart racing from participating in a race.

Here is a link to a biathlon site that explains the basics of the biathlon and shows what equipment is used in the olympic games. Virtually all winter events are shot with a 5 shot, 22 lr, bolt action rifle that only has iron sights, no optics are allowed.
http://biathlete.org/index.html

You will need to set your DVR to see the shooting events. Shooting events are never shown at an hour when you are normally watching TV.

If you read the biathlete site you will see that it is easy to set up an informal biathlon in your own backyard. All you need is a .177 caliber pellet rifle. Some steel targets are nice but if you have no steels you can set up paper targets along the trail. If you have access to a wooded area you can just shoot trash you find in the woods. After the trash is properly ventilated it can be cleaned up to keep your neck of the woods pristine.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-28-2014, 05:44 AM   #2
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2835 Times on 1944 Posts
Likes Given: 582

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
The Winter Olympics are right around the corner. Some of the best marksmen in the world will gather for Olympic shooting. One of my favorite events is the biathlon. The biathlon is one of the harshest tests a marksman can face. The marksman will be forced to shoot with his/her heart racing from participating in a race.

Here is a link to a biathlon site that explains the basics of the biathlon and shows what equipment is used in the olympic games. Virtually all winter events are shot with a 5 shot, 22 lr, bolt action rifle that only has iron sights, no optics are allowed.

http://biathlete.org/index.html

You will need to set your DVR to see the shooting events. Shooting events are never shown at an hour when you are normally watching TV.

If you read the biathlete site you will see that it is easy to set up an informal biathlon in your own backyard. All you need is a .177 caliber pellet rifle. Some steel targets are nice but if you have no steels you can set up paper targets along the trail. If you have access to a wooded area you can just shoot trash you find in the woods. After the trash is properly ventilated it can be cleaned up to keep your neck of the woods pristine.

John, I'm a big Biathlon fan. Did it myself in my younger years when the 1st # in my weight was a "1";-)
Was on the 10th. Mtn.'s demo team in the late 80's but wasn't good enough to be invited for tryouts( with so many excellent skiers/Shooters, many who were not American born but naturalized citizens...who lived for Skiing sports....

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 01-28-2014, 08:10 AM   #3
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6761 Times on 4085 Posts
Likes Given: 8090

Biathalon.....curling........hockey........what's not to like?

Old 01-28-2014, 10:25 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2539 Times on 1485 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

Amazingly, one of my favorite things to watch is Curling. Idk what it is but I find it fascinating.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

Old 01-28-2014, 10:59 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I am looking forward to the X Games type events. I watched the X Games this weekend. A 13 year old girl had podium finishes in the snowboard events. She is not old enough to participate in the Olympic games.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:12 PM   #6
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
Amazingly, one of my favorite things to watch is Curling. Idk what it is but I find it fascinating.
I work with a woman who is from Canada. Her Dad was a curling coach. There is quite the science behind the game and the sweeping, etc. I have another friend who likes curling so much she named her dog Fenson after the curler who coached the Olympic curling team several years ago.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:03 PM   #7

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4285

Trivia-The first biathalon dates back to 1767...

Shooting was one of the original events in the first 'modern games' in 1896...

The USA dominates the overall medal count by a 2-1 margin over China, The Soviet Union, Sweden and Great Britain...*chants U-S-A!, U-S-A!*

The USA is the only country who's government does not provide funding for the shooting sports, all privately funded...(go figure...)

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 01-28-2014, 03:19 PM   #8
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
The USA is the only country who's government does not provide funding for the shooting sports, all privately funded...(go figure...)
The USA used to only send amateur athletes to Olympic events, which was the whole point of the Olympics. But then we got wise to the government funded athletes from other countries who were trained almost from birth to be good at their sport. If they could send professionally trained athletes, then so could we. We no longer get our ass kicked.
vincent Likes This 
Old 01-28-2014, 03:36 PM   #9

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4285

I remember the big flap that caused...

Very few countries have 'professional' sports like our own...

That's what made The Miracle on Ice so special...

The Soviet team just got done kicking the ever loving crap out of the Rangers and Maple Leafs in exhibition games before the US 'amateurs' took them down...

More trivia...

The used to use live pigeons in the skeet and trap competitions...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 01-31-2014, 04:12 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
Trivia-The first biathalon dates back to 1767...

Shooting was one of the original events in the first 'modern games' in 1896...

The USA dominates the overall medal count by a 2-1 margin over China, The Soviet Union, Sweden and Great Britain...*chants U-S-A!, U-S-A!*

I don't recall the exact year, until somewhere right after WWII you had to be in the military to participate in the shooting and equine events. I guess all the princesses in europe wanted in on the action.

Last edited by John_Deer; 01-31-2014 at 04:18 AM.