Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Will this ammo damage my .22? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/will-ammo-damage-my-22-a-11595/)

bushtucker 03-06-2009 03:12 AM

Will this ammo damage my .22?

Gday, just wondering if anyone can set me straight on whether or not firing .22 rat shot in my Brno mod 2 will damage the rifling. I was also wondering about .22 longs, i know you are not supposed to fire .22 shorts constantly in a .22LR gun as it burns a ring in the chamber making .22LR extraction difficult, does that hold true for .22 long as well? thanks folks

Gatekeeper 03-06-2009 05:17 PM

Im not sure. If you cant find an answer, someone at
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php
should be able to help.

Shotgun Shooter 03-06-2009 05:19 PM

ONLY use 22 long rifle ammo.
there are so many different types of 22LR and they seem to be cheaper.

S.S.

robocop10mm 03-06-2009 05:57 PM

It is a common belief you should not shoot "rat shot" in a .22LR rifled barrel. I find this hard to believe as the shot is lead and MUCH softer than the steel of the barrel. I cannot think of a REAL reason to not do it unless you have a very accurate rifle. No sense in taking a chance. Get a cheapo for the "rat shot".

bushtucker 03-06-2009 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shotgun Shooter (Post 78995)
ONLY use 22 long rifle ammo.
there are so many different types of 22LR and they seem to be cheaper.

S.S.

Shotgun, Why use only .22LR? If .22 longs aren't good for my barrel I'll cease to use them, but I like to use Winchester Long Z in areas where a minimum of noise is required, they are quieter than .22LR subsonics, otherwise I always use normal .22LR. I don't use it all the time but I want to know if it has any long term effects.... thanks for your input.

Gene L 03-07-2009 12:19 AM

I wouldn't think it would hurt one. I've shot them with varying degrees of success. I've heard the rifling kinda gathers the shot in patterns that aren't condusive to accurate shooting. Plus the shot is so fine it loses velocity at close ranges. I've had rats walk away at 15 feet or so, bloody but unbowed.

I'd like to see a pattern from a .22.

big shrek 03-07-2009 10:50 PM

Rat shot won't hurt the barrel at all. Best used in a revolver at around 5-25 feet.

It WILL, however, need cleaning after you use it.

I use CCI's rat shot in .22WMR, it seems to be a dirty (lotta carbon) round...but other than that, it's not an issue at all.

The only folks likely to have an issue are those who don't clean their weapons after use.

Pretty much the same for switching between .22 shorts/longs/lr's...clean rifle after using each type of ammo, carbon ring dissapears with cleaning.

Bear in mind a LOT of old shooters rarely cleaned their rifles...in the old days, you needed a good bit of fouling for accuracy...not so much with today's rifles. So a carbon ring made a lot of problems for those folks from yesteryear...

Shotgun Shooter 03-07-2009 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bushtucker (Post 79110)
Shotgun, Why use only .22LR? If .22 longs aren't good for my barrel I'll cease to use them, but I like to use Winchester Long Z in areas where a minimum of noise is required, they are quieter than .22LR subsonics, otherwise I always use normal .22LR. I don't use it all the time but I want to know if it has any long term effects.... thanks for your input.

Well from what I read in my owners manual, there are longs, shorts and long rifle. longs/shorts arent supposed to be used in a 22LR.

Maybe they work, I dont know. I'm not going to risk anything by shooting a "long" or a "short" through my long rifle.

S.S.

Gene L 03-08-2009 01:08 AM

The issue is case length, as a .22 headspeces on the rim of the case. Used to when .22 ammo was corrosive, it would pit the chamber at the case mouth in firing shorts, but that's been a LONG time ago. But I don't think it will hurt one to shoot shorts, just not much advantage to do it.

A .22 Long case is the same as a .22 LR, the bullet is 35 grains, if I remember. But it's an "in-between" from the short to the LR and not loaded as much any more, kinda hard to find in some places.

Some .22s won't feed a short. And for most semi-auto .22, only a LR will function the action reliably, as there isn't enough blow-back pressure with short or long ammo. Need that heavier bullet. I've fired a zillion shorts and short CB caps in my Remington for pigeon control, and no problem so far. A Stinger is a bit longer, but it won't hurt the rifle either.

A .22 Shot round has the same OAL length as a LR, maybe being a little longer. I've usually had bad luck with them in hitting anything, and feeding is a problem, but there isn't any damage in them.

montveil 03-10-2009 02:17 PM

I have shot many 22 LR CCI shot shells out of my 22's.
They are encased in a plastic cup like a pill capsule.

I find 2 things happen:
The rifling really gets fowled with the plastic and will need cleaning to restore solid bullet accuracy
The rifling really causes the shot spiral out into a wide pattern leaving a very inefficient pattern even at 15 feet.
I have shot sparrows in my barn at 20 feet and not got kills.
I do use them to discourage dogs from my yard and always shot them when they are facing away to eliminate eye damage
I don't believe the plastic cup or lead will hurt anything in the barrel or for that matter anything else