Why should 22 rimfire rifles be cheap? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Why should 22 rimfire rifles be cheap?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 06:15 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Interesting thread. What I really hate about people and the .22 rifle/cartridge is that many take them too lightly. Some people I know treat them like a glorified Crosman bb gun. As we found out here in Oceanside, CA, a .22 an be lethal from a long way away. An Oceanside police officer was recently killed by a .22 caliber bullet fired from a rifle at over 100 yards. The bullet penetrated the officer's armpit just above the rim of the armhole in his body armor.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:56 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We have been selling the Colts dedicated AR .22 cal for around $700. and the GSG 5s for nearly $600. IMO this is not that inexpensive. The Colt is German crafted by Walthers and would make a nice addition to any gun collection. These are not your typical grandma's opossum shooters.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:00 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

They should be inexpensive for the kids to learn with, but i don't think that is PC anymore.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:37 PM   #14

I would say because
1. Alot of rimfire ammo is cheaply made (however it is debateable, mainly talking about bulk packs)
2. Not much power to them. Yes they can cause damage, but with 1 shot, they limit "knock down" power for hunting or defense.
3. A quality, well built firearm, regardless of caliber, should be more expensive. I think alot of people would agree they'd pay more for something that'll last a lifetime than a piece of junk that'll last only a few years.

S.S.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:24 PM   #15

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Less power Yah ok. You guys believe that if you want.

More deer have been killed with a 22lr than any 3 centerfire cartridges combined.

There was a time when my family was broke down and out and needed food I took a few deer at 75 yards and less with a 22lr would I do this any other time. NO HELL NO, do I condone it. No I do not. It was a time of great need and that is what I had.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:41 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Tango, I'm with you my brother. I know a guy that lives in Upper Michigan that told my about his neighbor's son that killed a whitetail with a pellet rifle scaring it away from the bird feeder. I guess that was kind of an O $hit moment and those u-pers were scrambling to get rid of the evidence. I would of like to have witnessed that one first-hand.

As hunters we owe a lot of respect to the game we pursue. That is way it is necessary to practice, practice, practice, whether it's a .22 or a 300 win mag. The nice thing about the .22 is how inexpensive it is and it's still as good as practicing with any other cartridge. Breathing, trigger control, and proper site picture can all be practiced with a .22.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Last edited by hunter Joe; 08-10-2009 at 09:47 PM. Reason: can't spell

Old 08-10-2009, 10:04 PM   #17

I was under the impression this was an opinion thread, not a "its my thread and you better believe what I say" thread. My bad.

S.S.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:18 PM   #18

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

SS why are your shorts all torqued?

Everyone thinks the 22lr is so underpowered and such a toy that it kills more people than any other round out there.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:14 AM   #19

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Ok along the line of the disscussion I have with jiro.

I want to know why a QUALITY rimfire rifle should be so much cheaper than a centerfire rifle?
Shhhh...we don't want to pay more than we have to. I think most .22 rifles are priced to meet the expectations of the market. Millions of shooters are quite happy with mass produced Marlins and Rugers. Hell, I'm quite happy with my Granddad's single shot Ranger...

I do think there is a difference between cheap and inexpensive. I'm quite happy with my bolt action Marlin Model 25N. It ran me about $155 new. It has been a nice solid rifle for the last 18 years or so. My wife's Plinkster was cheap, but it is fun to shoot, accurate, and so far it has never failed us in any way. I believe that my .22 rifles are made with a far lower grade of metal than the Swedish steel of my Mauser. However, none of my .22 rifles seems likely to fail any time soon.

It would be fun to step up to a fine precision rifle like an Anshutz. I'd love to have one like the Olympians use. However, I'm not sure that my Marlin--perhaps with the addition of a lighter replacement trigger group--would be totally, totally, embarassed by such a rifle. When I was in college we shot some kind of heavy single shot bolt action rifle and I qualified as a collegiate marksman after a semester of class. However, I have just as much fun with my Marlin and fun is what .22 rifles are all about.

I think many of the more expensive .22 rifles are built on a more expensive centerfire rifle frame. For example, a Ruger Model 77/22 looks to be built on the frame that was built for larger centerfire rounds. I think that would be great for hunters who use centerfire Model 77s for game.

Ultimately, if a more expensive .22 makes you happy, go for it and let us know how you do with it. I'd love to know how much of a performance jump I would get if I paid 3x or 4x more for a .22. A side by side comparison of an Anschutz, an off the shelf Marlin, and a moderately tricked out 10/22 might be fun.

My Motto: Vanquish Fear & Panic!
---------------------------------
My blog: GunGator's Gun Blog

Last edited by GatorDude; 08-11-2009 at 02:17 AM.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:29 AM   #20

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you want to see MY idea of a good .22 look at "my squirrel rifle" thread OR I could take some pics of my Kimber of Oregon .22 magnum with 3 digit serial #.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!