Why own or buy a .22LR firearm? - Page 8
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Why own or buy a .22LR firearm?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2014, 04:15 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Those of you that say you can find it if you look aren't from my area. Sure I can find small amounts at extreme prices but I refuse to contribute to the problem by encouraging the scalpers. I have some 22lr but not enough to plink it off for the fun of it.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:36 PM   #72
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3380 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Where are you? It's not like we have piles of it at $3 a box of 50 either. We just happen to be able to get through one shop, what we need, at a reasonable price right now.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 05-20-2014, 05:32 PM   #73

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Why is scalping sporting event tickets, like football, illegal but scalping ammo is not? I think a few of these guys selling their ammo at the gunshows and flea markets should be arrested just like the ones who rip us off charging premium prices for football tickets.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:27 PM   #74

Agree Volfan...but until the Gun show promoters complain, and they won't, unless someone who paid an entrance fee is walking around selling at the show without a table...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 05-20-2014, 07:58 PM   #75

Liked 355 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I've several times offered scalpers ammo at a bit less than they have it on their tables for. It usually starts with a pitch about how their price is the best that I'm going to find and it is the best they can do. I then offer them the same ammo at a bit cheaper price. I'm yet to have a single scalper take me up on my offer.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:45 PM   #76

they must know something we don't.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:47 PM   #77

Liked 3228 Times on 1928 Posts
Likes Given: 2304

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094 View Post
Those of you that say you can find it if you look aren't from my area. Sure I can find small amounts at extreme prices but I refuse to contribute to the problem by encouraging the scalpers. I have some 22lr but not enough to plink it off for the fun of it.
a lot of people are in the same boat. i scored a decent amount of 22 a few months back, before that i had not shot 22 in 4-5 months, because there was NONE.

my attitude has changed about it all. i simply am not going to worry about it anymore. when i go somewhere that has 22, i will buy a bit....if there is none, i will shoot something else.

when i shoot 22 during this shortage, i will slow down and use my SA pistol, the semi-autos will just sit until this gets better....those just gobble up too much 22 when i pull it out....

i'm not panicked anymore (i was). the only way out of this is when everyone sees 22 stocked up on the shelf again. that won't happen until people stop wiping them clean. the panic has to stop.

223/9mm was just as bad for months....now that its on the shelves everywhere....i don't see people buying it all up. those full shelves tend to calm people down.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:32 PM   #78

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

What really annoys me is people screaming that $35 a brick for CCI 22LR is gouging. The same ammo was $30 before the panic. A penny a round price increase is not gouging. These people have never bought anything but federal bulk ammo and they think all 22 LR ammo is $18 a box.

You get what you pay for. When I shoot federal bulk ammo I build a fire so I don't have bent and dud cartridges laying all over the place. When I shoot CCI I don't have to build a fire and shoot all 500 rounds.

Last edited by John_Deer; 05-20-2014 at 10:39 PM.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:37 PM   #79

Default Why own or buy a .22LR firearm?

Actually, While $19 to $23 for 1 Brick of Auto-Match is somewhat of a jump in price, it's still a whole lot better then $49.95!!!!!

Edit: a Rise from $19 to $23..

Last edited by DrFootball; 05-20-2014 at 10:53 PM.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:33 AM   #80

Liked 3228 Times on 1928 Posts
Likes Given: 2304

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
What really annoys me is people screaming that $35 a brick for CCI 22LR is gouging. The same ammo was $30 before the panic. A penny a round price increase is not gouging. These people have never bought anything but federal bulk ammo and they think all 22 LR ammo is $18 a box.

You get what you pay for. When I shoot federal bulk ammo I build a fire so I don't have bent and dud cartridges laying all over the place. When I shoot CCI I don't have to build a fire and shoot all 500 rounds.
35 for 500 CCI is pre-panic prices....mini mags (100),sold for just under $7 apiece pre panic, thus 35 for 500. hell, even 40 for 500 CCI is not at all unreasonable these days, 50+ is gouging though imo.

CCI is 22 ammo that is heads above all the other bulk ammo....and i'm with you, i would give the extra 1-2 cents a round to not have to clear a jam every 50-75 rounds. in fact, i don't think CCI has EVER malfunctioned in a gun of mine. its really good stuff.

unfortunately, CCI is no easier to find than anything else these days.