Why own or buy a .22LR firearm? - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Why own or buy a .22LR firearm?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2014, 05:27 AM   #61
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3160 Times on 2147 Posts
Likes Given: 685

I have had no issues with Golden Bullets or Yellow Jackets. As I have said in the past, I will not buy or shoot Thunderbolts...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 05-15-2014, 10:50 AM   #62

Liked 382 Times on 249 Posts
Likes Given: 4

For many years before the current shortage, dad and I would buy 22lr whenever it went on sale, whether we needed it or not. Did the same with 22mag. No rhyme or reason, just bought it. Consequently, I've still got plenty of both. Enough 22lr that I don't think twice about taking my Single-Six and 10/22 to the range any time the mood strikes.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:52 PM   #63
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 636 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 406

LMAO

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/p180x540/1797417_475687672557423_940129376_n.jpg

Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.
Airborne1 Likes This 
Old 05-15-2014, 05:01 PM   #64

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I will say that have delayed purchases of new firearms that take .22LR because its difficult to find. When I own a weapon, I want to be able to fire it.

But I still love shooting the ones I do have and would never get rid of them. The shortage will end and I'll add another 22 to the collection.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:42 PM   #65

Agreed,..+10. and prices are dropping on the used market as well......

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 05-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #66

Liked 55 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default Principles In Tact

I own several 22lr rifles and a few pistols. I have given a 22 to some of my Grand kids. One of life's enjoyments is to shoot with the kids and I find it very relaxing to shoot the 22s. For two years I have been very diligent about trying to buy ammo for them. I refuse to pay over $.08 a round but can't find it for that. I have searched 2 or 3 times a week in many area places. My main question is; why can I find any other caliber at reasonable prices but not 22lr. It just doesn't make any sense. Those of you that buy it because it is there, no matter how many thousands you have stockpiled are the problem, Just as the greedy bastards that buy just to sell at an extreme profit. I had an opportunity to buy as many 525 Federal Bulk Packs as I wanted for $50 each. This is $10 less than he wanted about a month ago. I asked him how many he had. With a sh1t eating grin he said "around a hundred" but people quit buying them. I told him I wouldn't buy them from him if they were $10 a brick and I hoped he choked on them. I know I'm stubborn but I live by my principles. It will come back, probably not at the old prices but reasonable once it levels off. Until then the kids will have an extensive introduction to BBs and pellets and we don't have to go to the range.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

People Like This 
Old 05-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #67

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts

22short, 22Long, and 22Long Rifle is not all that hard to find. Have owned 22's for decades, I've always kept two or three thousand rounds on hand.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:20 PM   #68

Default Why own or buy a .22LR firearm?

Here where I am, If you want to Pay Outrageous Prices at the "#1 Gunshop in town" or the Pawn Shop who's Family name was one of the early settlers of this area, "your paying out the nose with one Testicle" for 22LR. I have not gotten 22 from wally since the middle of 2012, almost two years, and I still have those 2-100 rd. boxes.

I have been finding Blazer fairly easily, and shooting that, along with Federal Am. Eagle & Federal Champion. I have a small Qty. of Federal Gold Medal Match, and some more on the way, to shoot Rimfire steel challenge this season, and got 2 more Bricks of the "Auto-Match" so we have 3 full-325 Rd. Boxes, and about 100 left in another.

Also have my "No Shoot" stuff. the Mini-Mags, 2-100 Packs of Winchester Super X, 2-333 Rd. Bricks of it also, and a Federal Champion 525. we use the plinking stuff with the rifles, and some pistol, and save the match stuff for competition. We also have 3 Boxes of(50 Ct) the Anguila Super Maximum(1750fps! the fastest 22Ammo Out there! Only the CCI Stingers are in the same class,(3 boxes of those as well) and the Remington Yellow Jackets are just below it at about 1500fps,...we were down as low as 2800, but Im up to around 4300 or so now,..

If I don't get it online, my "Good Guy" Pawn & Gun Place will order it for me..

Old 05-17-2014, 06:18 PM   #69

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcjcl View Post
22short, 22Long, and 22Long Rifle is not all that hard to find. Have owned 22's for decades, I've always kept two or three thousand rounds on hand.
It is not easy at all to find any rimfire ammo right now. If you do find any it is usually jacked up in price about 3-5 times. I refuse to pay that for it. I would like some more but I am not going to give more than the regular price for it.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:32 PM   #70

Liked 2846 Times on 1685 Posts
Likes Given: 1872

don't let it discourage you so much. 22 will return in bulk eventually. unfortunately, i think it will stay a bit more expensive than it has been in the past....much like gasoline....

there's nothing like zipping through 22's in a fun semi auto! however, desperate times sometimes call for desperate measures!

pull out the ol' lever, bolt, and single action 22's in your collection!!! slow down and use a bit less. i traded my cheap semi auto 22 pistol for a higher quality single action 22. it will probably take me the better part of a day to go through 100 rounds with my new single six!

next, be a part of the solution, not the problem. stop panic buying and never buy from gougers. i am seeing more 22 i the last month than i have seen in almost a year! and i actually found 22 mag the other day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPCO View Post
So I'd like to know why bother owning or planning on buying a .22LR firearm when it won't do much if there never or barely ever is any .22LR ammo available???

The way I see it is if you own a firearm and love to shoot it, then wouldn't it be great if you can actually enjoy it rather than stare at it cause you have no ammo for it or bitch online that there never is any ammo available to purchase. And what happens if you do by chance get a hold of some .22LR ammo, you go to shoot it cause you've been eager to shoot that .22LR firearm you have and all of a sudden you are back to staring or bitching that there is no more ammo all over again.

I see way too many posts about people looking to buy a .22LR rifle or pistol but do they even think about if any ammo is available???....probably not.

I owned a .22LR rifle about 15+ years ago. It was a Feather Industries AT-22 and it was fun to shoot cause back then, ammo was always available for .22LR.....but times have changed and IMO, owning a .22LR firearm is just not worth it cause I love to shoot my firearms and not stare at them wondering when will I shoot them ever again.