why dont we have'em
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > why dont we have'em

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 08:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sgtdeath66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 963
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default why dont we have'em

ok, so .17mach2, .17hmr, and .22wmr's all have rounds with ballistic tips in them. so why not .22 lr? why are we left out? i mean obviously we have the technology to do it, hell they even have .177 pellets with'em. if you ask me it is total bulls#!t

__________________

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli


He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson


"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

sgtdeath66 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 01-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Stafford, Virginia,The state of insanity.
Posts: 14,043
Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Default

Most 22lr barrels are made to shoot lead not jacketed ammo. At least that is the excuse I get when I ask the question.

__________________
cpttango30 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
stalkingbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lebanon,Ky
Posts: 3,621
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

It would represent an tremendous effort & expenditure to develop jacketed bullets that would perform as good at .22LR velocity as the standard lead bullets we now have. It simply would be damn hard to make a jacketed bullet expand. The jacket would likely be as thin as some of the current coatings, or "copper washing". I really see no problem in the different lead bullet loadings as not only do they remain very inexpensive, but also almost impossible to wear a barrel out with modern steels with lead bullets. Yes, it's true the rifling designed for jacketed bullets only MAY be slightly different than rifling designed for lead bullets exclusively, but by the same token, then that barrel wouldn't perform as well with lead bullets-in theory.

__________________
stalkingbear is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:18 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
matt g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,885
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Many .22s are tube fed. You won't see Spitzer bullets in a tube fed firearm, due to the risk of explosion inside the tube magazine when dropped or jarred.

Look at the 444 Marlin, .45-70, .32-20, .35 Rem and .30-30 Win. These were all bullets that were designed to run in tube fed rifles. None of them have Spitzer bullets.

Don't quote me on that, but it made sense to me at the time.

__________________

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

matt g is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:19 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Minionsram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 604
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Many .22s are tube fed. You won't see Spitzer bullets in a tube fed firearm, due to the risk of explosion inside the tube magazine when dropped or jarred.

Look at the 444 Marlin, .45-70, .32-20, .35 Rem and .30-30 Win. These were all bullets that were designed to run in tube fed rifles. None of them have Spitzer bullets.

Don't quote me on that, but it made sense to me at the time.
There are now!
https://www.hornady.com/shop/?page=shop/search2&keyword=LEVERevolution

It would probably be more effort than it is worth for them to make it in .22.
__________________
Minionsram is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:12 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
matt g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,885
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minionsram View Post
There are now!
https://www.hornady.com/shop/?page=shop/search2&keyword=LEVERevolution

It would probably be more effort than it is worth for them to make it in .22.
I've seen those and always wondered how well they fed. Either way, those have only been around for a year or two.
__________________

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

matt g is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:15 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Minionsram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 604
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default

They fed well in a friends ole marlin. a bit more accurate too

__________________
Minionsram is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:40 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
matt g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,885
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minionsram View Post
They fed well in a friends ole marlin. a bit more accurate too
Nice. Are the terminal ballistics improved as well? The thing I really like about the .30-30 is that fact that it hits like a brick. I've hit deer with them and got clean, one shot kills where the animal didn't even try to get up and run. That was using Hornaday's 170 gr. bullets.
__________________

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

matt g is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:47 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sgtdeath66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 963
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
It would represent an tremendous effort & expenditure to develop jacketed bullets that would perform as good at .22LR velocity as the standard lead bullets we now have. It simply would be damn hard to make a jacketed bullet expand. The jacket would likely be as thin as some of the current coatings, or "copper washing". I really see no problem in the different lead bullet loadings as not only do they remain very inexpensive, but also almost impossible to wear a barrel out with modern steels with lead bullets. Yes, it's true the rifling designed for jacketed bullets only MAY be slightly different than rifling designed for lead bullets exclusively, but by the same token, then that barrel wouldn't perform as well with lead bullets-in theory.
ok i understand that but they have lead .177 cal pellets with tips in them why couldnt they just mold the lead around the tip, also i was thinking of maybe a bb in the tip. that would even help in the mushrooming effect
__________________

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli


He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson


"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

sgtdeath66 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:31 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
stalkingbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lebanon,Ky
Posts: 3,621
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Matt-you're forgetting that the rifles you speak of are centerfire, in which the primer is directly in middle. The rimfire he's asking about is primed around the outside rim of the case.




Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Many .22s are tube fed. You won't see Spitzer bullets in a tube fed firearm, due to the risk of explosion inside the tube magazine when dropped or jarred.

Look at the 444 Marlin, .45-70, .32-20, .35 Rem and .30-30 Win. These were all bullets that were designed to run in tube fed rifles. None of them have Spitzer bullets.

Don't quote me on that, but it made sense to me at the time.
__________________
stalkingbear is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Gasp! terrorists dont want to be "reached out" to roosterjuicer Politics, Religion and Controversy 19 04-01-2009 11:05 PM
Dont Blink falseharmonix The Club House 6 12-03-2008 04:52 PM
some times it just seems they dont understand dirtysouth The Club House 24 08-19-2008 06:03 PM