Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   why dont we have'em (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/why-dont-we-haveem-9663/)

sgtdeath66 01-05-2009 08:45 AM

why dont we have'em

ok, so .17mach2, .17hmr, and .22wmr's all have rounds with ballistic tips in them. so why not .22 lr? why are we left out? i mean obviously we have the technology to do it, hell they even have .177 pellets with'em. if you ask me it is total bulls#!t:rolleyes:

cpttango30 01-05-2009 11:38 AM

Most 22lr barrels are made to shoot lead not jacketed ammo. At least that is the excuse I get when I ask the question.

stalkingbear 01-05-2009 05:24 PM

It would represent an tremendous effort & expenditure to develop jacketed bullets that would perform as good at .22LR velocity as the standard lead bullets we now have. It simply would be damn hard to make a jacketed bullet expand. The jacket would likely be as thin as some of the current coatings, or "copper washing". I really see no problem in the different lead bullet loadings as not only do they remain very inexpensive, but also almost impossible to wear a barrel out with modern steels with lead bullets. Yes, it's true the rifling designed for jacketed bullets only MAY be slightly different than rifling designed for lead bullets exclusively, but by the same token, then that barrel wouldn't perform as well with lead bullets-in theory.

matt g 01-06-2009 12:18 AM

Many .22s are tube fed. You won't see Spitzer bullets in a tube fed firearm, due to the risk of explosion inside the tube magazine when dropped or jarred.

Look at the 444 Marlin, .45-70, .32-20, .35 Rem and .30-30 Win. These were all bullets that were designed to run in tube fed rifles. None of them have Spitzer bullets.

Don't quote me on that, but it made sense to me at the time.

Minionsram 01-06-2009 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt g (Post 59908)
Many .22s are tube fed. You won't see Spitzer bullets in a tube fed firearm, due to the risk of explosion inside the tube magazine when dropped or jarred.

Look at the 444 Marlin, .45-70, .32-20, .35 Rem and .30-30 Win. These were all bullets that were designed to run in tube fed rifles. None of them have Spitzer bullets.

There are now!
https://www.hornady.com/shop/?page=shop/search2&keyword=LEVERevolution

It would probably be more effort than it is worth for them to make it in .22.

matt g 01-06-2009 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minionsram (Post 59943)
There are now!
https://www.hornady.com/shop/?page=shop/search2&keyword=LEVERevolution

It would probably be more effort than it is worth for them to make it in .22.

I've seen those and always wondered how well they fed. Either way, those have only been around for a year or two.

Minionsram 01-06-2009 02:15 AM

They fed well in a friends ole marlin. a bit more accurate too:D

matt g 01-06-2009 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minionsram (Post 59962)
They fed well in a friends ole marlin. a bit more accurate too:D

Nice. Are the terminal ballistics improved as well? The thing I really like about the .30-30 is that fact that it hits like a brick. I've hit deer with them and got clean, one shot kills where the animal didn't even try to get up and run. That was using Hornaday's 170 gr. bullets.

sgtdeath66 01-06-2009 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 59790)
It would represent an tremendous effort & expenditure to develop jacketed bullets that would perform as good at .22LR velocity as the standard lead bullets we now have. It simply would be damn hard to make a jacketed bullet expand. The jacket would likely be as thin as some of the current coatings, or "copper washing". I really see no problem in the different lead bullet loadings as not only do they remain very inexpensive, but also almost impossible to wear a barrel out with modern steels with lead bullets. Yes, it's true the rifling designed for jacketed bullets only MAY be slightly different than rifling designed for lead bullets exclusively, but by the same token, then that barrel wouldn't perform as well with lead bullets-in theory.

ok i understand that but they have lead .177 cal pellets with tips in them why couldnt they just mold the lead around the tip, also i was thinking of maybe a bb in the tip. that would even help in the mushrooming effect

stalkingbear 01-08-2009 02:31 PM

Matt-you're forgetting that the rifles you speak of are centerfire, in which the primer is directly in middle. The rimfire he's asking about is primed around the outside rim of the case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt g (Post 59908)