Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   why do some men only buy and shoot 22's (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/why-do-some-men-only-buy-shoot-22s-60097/)

dmh737 03-12-2012 10:45 PM

why do some men only buy and shoot 22's

I see the thread was closed. As to the last post, there was alot of useful info on the thread. As a newcomer researching as to what will be his first gun, this thread provided me with alot of useful info into the mindset of "why a 22?"
Thanks to the OP for the thread. It provided alot of useful info.

Dave

gunnut07 03-13-2012 12:31 AM

I think it was a decent thread unfortunately started by a tiny peewee guy that's hung like a fly.

I have more 22lr's than any big boar and I drive a compact car.

22lr, the most fun you can have with cloths on.

CourtJester 03-13-2012 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunnut07
I think it was a decent thread unfortunately started by a tiny peewee guy that's hung like a fly.

I have more 22lr's than any big boar and I drive a compact car.

22lr, the most fun you can have with cloths on.

Exactly what he said except I don't know what thread y'all are referring to and I have a diesel pick up truck. The rest is a dead match though.

Txhillbilly 03-13-2012 01:17 AM

If someone has a problem with a grown man shooting rimfires,then they probably have more issues deeper within that they need to have professionally looked at.

I think I have close to a dozen 22lr and 22WMR rifles and handguns,and enjoy shooting them as much as any of my centerfire weapons.

primer1 03-13-2012 01:28 AM

I shot a ocean spray juice bottle and a gallon jug, both plastic and full of water, at 150 yards. Ammo was a federal 36 grain HP. It penetrated both and was never recovered. This surprised me, and it demonstrates how much power a 22 has.

cbibb 03-13-2012 01:43 AM

RIMFIRE the best caliber to hone and perfect proper and good shooting skills I shoot allot of 22 in 3p,bench rest,sporter also use air rifle for 3p and sporter love the rimfire military uses allot of 22 for training and air rifle check out the cmp and nra championships and allot of those guys also shoot high power at 1000k and those guys will tell you rimfire help make them the shooter they are today I have 4h kids that shoot rimfire all the time then we have them shoot vintage military guns and ar-15 in matches and out do some of the older shooters cause they use the same skills as they did while shooting rimfire going from 100 to 300 yds with the center fire some kids weigh less than 100lbs and are shooting 8mm mausers and 3006 spring field with steel but plate but they still shoot 22 I wouldn't call them wimps just dedicated marksmen.

sbitter 03-13-2012 05:34 AM

And I love shooting my 22 cause its so dang cheap to shoot. And they are really just good cheap fun. Can't shoot all the pistols and rifles all the time cause they cost to much to shoot. Well for me atleast cause I'm still young and have little money to spend in my gun area

lonyaeger 03-13-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by primer1 (Post 738413)
I shot a ocean spray juice bottle and a gallon jug, both plastic and full of water, at 150 yards. Ammo was a federal 36 grain HP. It penetrated both and was never recovered. This surprised me, and it demonstrates how much power a 22 has.

How much holdover did you need for that shot?

jpattersonnh 03-13-2012 10:53 AM

When my boys and I go out shooting we always shoot more .22lr then anything else. Great practice and fun. Trigger time is always good. .22 shows what issues the shooter is having very quickly.

primer1 03-13-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonyaeger

How much holdover did you need for that shot?

Can't tell you in inches. Gun is marlin bolt, with a 4 power tasco in high rings I put on used probably 25 years ago as a kid. I had someone spotting for me, and found out that where the thin and thick crosshairs meet is dead on at 150 yards, using 36 gr federal HP. I think my zero is 50 yards, I need to recheck. Using a homemade steel Target, I was getting 6 inch groups at 150 yds. A trigger job would probably help, along with better ammo, but I'm almost afraid to change anything. I don't wanna jinx my setup!