Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > WHY (c3) do barrels with the same specs ‘prefer’ different ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1449 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 1208

Default WHY (c3) do barrels with the same specs ‘prefer’ different ammo?

Their rifling, twist rate, heat absorption, cool rate. etc. doesn't change. Their tolerances should not be different. Presumably the QC of high end ammo doesn't change.

Finding the ‘right’ ammo for a specific rifle is such an accepted practice, I would've thought some investigation on this would have been done.

It reminds me of when people thought it mattered whether they used ‘Shell’ or ‘Gulf’ in their cars.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-31-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16853 Times on 9764 Posts
Likes Given: 43911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Their rifling, twist rate, heat absorption, cool rate. etc. doesn't change. Their tolerances should not be different. Presumably the QC of high end ammo doesn't change.

Finding the ‘right’ ammo for a specific rifle is such an accepted practice, I would've thought some investigation on this would have been done.

It reminds me of when people thought it mattered whether they used ‘Shell’ or ‘Gulf’ in their cars.
i like to think of rifle barrels as like fingerprints. every one of them is different. even if you took 10 rifles of the same make and same caliber, every one of them would group differently with the same ammo. each one will like a certain bullet weight or a certain ammo brand to be accurate.

honestly, even though all were built exactly the same and on the same equipment, a person would think they would perform the same, but i can't tell you exactly why they don't.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

But, but, but, . . . looking through the barrels and looking at 22lr bullets, it's clear to me that the barrels are machined and the 22lr bullets are not (at least not the ones I can afford). There is more variation in the bullets than the barrels so shouldn't the barrels be more consistent and the ammo variable?

Or is cold forging/hammering a hit or miss process?

Last edited by Vincine; 03-31-2013 at 05:46 PM.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16853 Times on 9764 Posts
Likes Given: 43911

Quote:
But, but, but, . . . looking through the barrels and looking at 22lr bullets, it's clear to me that the barrels are machined and the 22lr bullets are not (at least not the one I can afford). There is more variation in the bullets than the barrels so shouldn't the barrels be more consistent and the ammo variable?

Or is cold forging/hammering a hit or miss process?
i see what you're saying and i agree, but honestly i don't have an explanation a to why. hopefully someone much more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2176 Times on 1120 Posts
Likes Given: 188

Quote:
Presumably the QC of high end ammo doesn't change.
You'd think so, wouldn't you?
It's not just different brands of ammo. The variation from lot to lot of the same ammo can be dramatic. Some brands are more consistent than others, but variation seems inevitable. Production equipment wears, powder varies, different personnel overseeing the various processes. There are probably variables that would never occur to me. Variations amongst Match grade ammo was noticeable, even among high end makers. One lot of Eley Tenex can be noticeably worse than a great lot of CCI Green Tag. A weak lot of Green tag might not be any better than a good lot of Mini Mag. RWS Match seemed fairly consistent most of the time.
I watched my Dad test multiple lots of ammo many times. It can be surprising sometimes. Like other consumer products, sometimes even the best names kick rubbish out the door. I always liked it when CCI would perform better than the expensive Euro ammo.
Barrel making is subject to a huge number of variables as well. Quality of the steel. Content of the steel. Type of tooling used to make the barrel. Method used to create the rifling. The amount of wear on the tooling. The skill of the guy operating the tooling. The fit of the barrel into the action. The bedding of the action. And so forth.
Combine that two sets of variables, add the shooter's variables and the weather, barometric pressure, temperature. You see where this is going...
NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)

Last edited by Overkill0084; 03-31-2013 at 06:08 PM.
People Like This 
Old 03-31-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
You'd think so,wouldn't you? . . . . . etc.
Okay, this is getting to it. But it makes my point. Being off by a hundredth of an inch, or thousandth of a psi, or whatever, on a rifle is a much lower variation than the same variation on a 22lr round and that different lots of 22lr, and even different rounds of the same lot, are more variable than different barrels. So that to say a rifle 'likes' Elmer Fudd brand ammo in their wabbit wifle the best is naive.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:23 PM   #7

Liked 64 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 25

You have to take into consideration the differences in each raw barrel blank. Plus every time you pull a rifling button through a barrel it wears a little, giving each barrel its own characteristics.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 03-31-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2176 Times on 1120 Posts
Likes Given: 188

Quote:
Okay, this is getting to it. But it makes my point. Being off by a hundredth of an inch, or thousandth of a psi, or whatever, on a rifle is a much lower variation than the same variation on a 22lr round and that different lots of 22lr, and even different rounds of the same lot, are more variable than different barrels. So that to say a rifle 'likes' Elmer Fudd brand ammo in their wabbit wifle the best is naive.
Yes & no.
In my experience, Remington golden bullets have never grouped as well in my rifle (Kimber 82) as CCI Mini Mags. One can argue the reason, but at the end of the day, group size removes all doubt. The difference may be minor (it usually is), but it is there. Thus because of that, I will tell anyone who asks "My Kimber prefers CCI ammo." I shot Silhouette matches with Mini Mags because doubling or tripling the ammo cost for an extra 1/4" +/- at 100 yards wasn't worth it to me. My rifle shoots Eley products really well too, just not two to three times as well.
In all honesty, it does eventually boil down to hairsplitting (or would that be hare-splitting ) at some point. How much money & time is one willing to invest to milk that last bit out of his/her equipment?
NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)
Vincine Likes This 
Old 03-31-2013, 06:53 PM   #9

Liked 64 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Remington rimfire ammo is crap.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

People Like This 
Old 03-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #10
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png