Why All The Hate For Remington .22 Ammo?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Why All The Hate For Remington .22 Ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 735 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 785

Default Why All The Hate For Remington .22 Ammo?

I understand different guns like different ammo, but why are the Remington .22's hated so much? Every time someone asks about ammo or asks why there .22 malfunctioned, Theres always a comment like "Stay away from those golden turds" or "Shooting that Remington stuff gonna squib your gun"..

Why do I seem to have the exact opposite experience? I shoot the Rem bulk packs quite regularly and never have any problems in shooting them in any of my .22's. In fact they are the most accurate in my rifles. Federal (which it seems everybody "loves") I think are the worst, as they have a 7" drop @ 100 yds. compared to the Remingtons..
My .22's are even old.. Ones a Weatherby MK. XXII made in the 60's and the other is a Winchester Model 63 from 1932, even my modern cheap Taurus PT22 shoots them with no problems.. My rifles have 24"-26" barrels, If the ammo "squibs" consistently, why has it never happened to me? Wouldnt the longer barrel make it easier for the ammo to get stuck?

So, If the Remington is such "crap", Why does the Remington work so well for me and the Federal doesnt?
Maybe you guys should stop buying "crap" guns....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

To answer your question in the simplest form possible.....every gun is different. That pretty much sums it up. What works in one, won't work in another. And it can vary across different guns of the same make and model.

Having said that, I too have had guns that Remingtons worked fine in. But in general, I have had more problems with Remington ammo in more guns than any other ammo. My very first .22 pistol was a Smith & Wesson 422. It would jam just by having a box of Remington ammo in the same room with it. You could put Winchester ammo in it and it would shoot like a breeze, but if you said "Remington" out loud while shooting it would jam. My Ruger 10-22 didn't like Remington ammo at all either.

But again, all guns are different, and .22's are far more touchy when it comes to ammo than any other caliber.

Last edited by Paladin201; 02-08-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5627 Times on 2941 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Its the 10% dud rate i get with them in all my 22s. Ruger bersa gsg sw cmg walther sig everything.

Bout ten out of every hundred i run is duds. Remingtons response was thats normal for all 22lr ammo.... i fire prolly close to 10k rounds of 22 a year and only remington is consistently duds. I cant remember the last time i had a cci dud. I shoot mainly cci

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1961 Times on 1061 Posts
Likes Given: 586

High dud rate and loose bullets. Loose bullets can cause jams. I ended up shooting them in my bolt action and still had duds. I have not bought Remington since.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 02-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #5

Liked 735 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 785

I would say I get about 5 duds per 500, no mater the brand I use.. or the gun...

I lose count of the .22's a year I shoot, but all my guns seem to eat .22's all the same, It only comes down to how each bullet shoots, not "if". The two rifles I mentioned are the two I shoot the most and the Rems are the most accurate in them, so thats what I buy, but none of my other .22,s seem to do any worse or malfunction any more.

Im not disputing the fact other guns like different ammo, but just about every thread has at least one post saying how terrible the Rem ammo is.. It just seems theres an actual "hate" for the Remington, as opposed to the "Oh well, my gun doesnt like this ammo" attitude people have with other brands?? I never see "My gun didnt shoot Federals (or other brand), so there crap!!"

If the Rem is consistently "bad" and "crap" ammo, Why I dont seem to have any of the problem others have shooting them?? Im just sayin' maybe its not all the ammo's fault...
I guess im just lucky and get the "good" box of them every time I go....

Old 02-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I am a range officer and oversee many shooting compitions yearly. I have no axe to grind one way or the other. I have seen and heard untold numbers of squib loads or duds with any Remington ammo. I bought a 550 pack and counted the duds and squibs. Somewhere I have the actuall data and the failure rate was quite high. Older Winchester bulk ammo was just as bad. I have tried 2 bulk packs of the new Winchester ammo with good results. Hands down without another horse even coming close, the most reliable ammo was Federals 550 bulk pack. I must see 15 to 20 boxes of this ammo shot each year and see or hear virtually no failures (maybe 1 or 2 per box) maybe. I see it shot in about every kind of gun. Everything being equal I want only the best and from my research and experence it is the Federal.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I agree with 30-30. I have 5 different .22's, 3 rifles and 2 pistols that gobble up Federal 550 Bulk Ammo with great results. As was said, maybe 1 or 2 duds per box is all you can expect. I also get great accuarcy my guns using the Fed. 550. None of my guns are high dollar, but they are Remingtons, Rugers and Walthers. Not exactly off-brands by any means.

On the other hand, the Remington Golden Bullet bulk pack ammo has not worked well for me. Someone mentioned a 10% failure rate, but I would say it's closer to 15% from my experience. Accuarcy with the GB is just so-so. It's not the firearms being used by any of us either. If you want to see some blazing accounts on the subject Google "Remington Golden Bullet Problems".

This issue has been going on for quite some time, yet Remington has refused to do anything to correct the issue. Winchester fixed their quality issues with their .22 ammo, I'm really surprised that Remington is being so stubborn about the matter.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5627 Times on 2941 Posts
Likes Given: 371

I refuse to buy remington ammo until they fix their qc. Ive bought remington 30-06 in the past for the brass and its the only time ive actually had hangfires in a factory loaded centerfire. A hangfire is when it goes click and a few seconds later it goes boom.

Sorry but remington is making the worst ammo on the market across the board. I like some of their guns but their ammo is terrible

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #9

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I own several 22 rifles and handguns...in all types of actions. Remington ammo has a very high failure rate and is just plain dirty. I purchased a few bulk packs of the golden bullet ammo a few years back, and will never buy it again. I was using Federal bulk packs for awhile, but have now settled on the Winchester 555. If Remington decides to redesign their tooling and/or components to produce ammo on par with the competition, I will be happy to try it. At the end of the day it all depends on what your gun likes.

Winchester 100 .243; Marlin XS7 .308; Stevens 200 .223; Rossi 92 .45LC; Marlin 1894C .357M; Marlin 30AS .30-30; NEF Pardner Pump 12ga; Mossberg 500 Turkey 20ga; Winchester 1200 20ga; Savage Mark II F .22LR; Henry H001 .22LR; Marlin 60SB .22LR; Ruger 10/22 DSP .22LR; Browning SA-22 .22LR; Savage 93R17 GV .17HMR; Remington Genesis .50 cal ML; Ruger SR1911 .45ACP; Ruger Vaquero .45LC; Ruger Blackhawk .357M; Ruger SR9c 9mm; Ruger Single-Six .22LR; Browning Buck Mark Camper .22LR

Old 02-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #10
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 851 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 383

I have had good luck with both Remington and Federal and in years back preferred the Golden bullet but recently I have noticed that Remington has had an unusually large amount of factory recall items in both firearms and ammo! It seems their quality control has slipped mightily!

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.