What's your thoughts on the future of the .22 mag? - Page 22
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > What's your thoughts on the future of the .22 mag?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 03:30 AM   #211
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 474
Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 237

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Its a rimmed case so it wont feed right
The rimmed cases of the 22 LR feed with absolutely no issues in my Ruger Mk II, 10-22 Rugers don't seem to have problems and my friends AMT-22 Automag with the right ammo works great. And it's an early model which were noted for problems mainly, from what I've read, the chamber holes used to retain the ammo casing in place getting powder fouled. Actually the biggest problem I see is the magazine not holding the rounds straight while being stripped from the magazine by the slide, probably in large part due to the long case on the 22 WMR ammo they can jam the bullet against either lower side of the chamber face. I'd venture to say that modifications to the magazines would probably solve a lot of the failure to chamber issues. The AMT did not like CCI "V" ammo and one other ammo manufacturer makes 22WMR rounds that just don't have enough pressure to actuate the slide. If Kel-Tec ever gets their act together and produces enough PMR-30 pistols to make them readily available I would be inclined to buy one. As far as that goes a newer model AMT 22 Automag sold made by High Standard would be something I'd buy as well, but they are not that available either.
__________________

Last edited by Viking; 04-06-2012 at 03:32 AM.
Viking is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #212
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
clr8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Central NH
Posts: 3,557
Liked 1104 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 733

Default

Yeah, so how can the quoted "it's the rounded rim" be the problem, when there are plenty of 22 LR which is almost the same thing, used in autoloaders?

__________________
clr8ter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #213
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter
Yeah, so how can the quoted "it's the rounded rim" be the problem, when there are plenty of 22 LR which is almost the same thing, used in autoloaders?
The rounded/broader rim and the longer casin are both part of the problem. Bc the case is longer it takes more tension to pull it out of the chamber which the rim bein rounded allows the extractor to be pulled off. Its pulled off bc the rim isnt able to give the extractor enough bight on it. The rim stickin out as far as they do also allows them to lock together in the mag if you fully load a mag for the pmr 30 w 30 rounds

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #214
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
clr8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Central NH
Posts: 3,557
Liked 1104 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 733

Default

HUH. Seems like a creative engineer could make some money coming up with a good solution for this problem.

__________________
clr8ter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #215
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
spittinfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maiden,NC
Posts: 9,663
Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

how did this thread end up here?

__________________

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

spittinfire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #216
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 474
Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 237

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
how did this thread end up here?
Oh probably we're all thinking of all the avenues of how to extend the use of the .22 mag and wither it will survive into the future. With the advent of other high powered small cased .22 center fire cartridges perhaps there was a feeling that the .22 WMR could go out of favor. Even though they are considerable more expensive than the .22 LR the .22 mag fills a niche for a relatively high velocity .22 round that doesn't take a stronger and thus more expensive center fire rifle or pistol platform to function. Maybe it could have all been answered in what I have written but then what's the fun of a short thread? Especially considering how many of us have been dealing with cabin fever due to snow, rain, floods, fires, tornadoes and etc. that have kept us from doing things outside. Which, if we were able to be outside all the time we wouldn't have posted anything here and this would be a DEAD thread and what the fun in that?
__________________
Viking is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:11 AM   #217
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
big shrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 1,310
Liked 72 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 539

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
Oh probably we're all thinking of all the avenues of how to extend the use of the .22 mag and wither it will survive into the future. With the advent of other high powered small cased .22 center fire cartridges perhaps there was a feeling that the .22 WMR could go out of favor. Even though they are considerable more expensive than the .22 LR the .22 mag fills a niche for a relatively high velocity .22 round that doesn't take a stronger and thus more expensive center fire rifle or pistol platform to function. Maybe it could have all been answered in what I have written but then what's the fun of a short thread? Especially considering how many of us have been dealing with cabin fever due to snow, rain, floods, fires, tornadoes and etc. that have kept us from doing things outside. Which, if we were able to be outside all the time we wouldn't have posted anything here and this would be a DEAD thread and what the fun in that?
Move to Florida, or just get a Winter Home here...solves the whole Cabin Fever issue

Heck, in some areas there's bikini-clad babes 11 months of the year...kind of difficult to resist
__________________

Calico Specialist
Marlin Specialist
I'm not just Trigger Happy, I'm Trigger Ecstatic!!

big shrek is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:28 AM   #218
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 474
Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 237

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by big shrek View Post
Move to Florida, or just get a Winter Home here...solves the whole Cabin Fever issue

Heck, in some areas there's bikini-clad babes 11 months of the year...kind of difficult to resist
Just what I need, I have a bad enough time seeing the Victoria Secret's ads on TV. My wife would probably have to carry a long stick to whack me with if I was to see that all around.
__________________
Viking is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:08 AM   #219
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Havre,Havre, Montana
Posts: 49
Likes Given: 1

Default

it's kind of funny why we didn't use the 22Mag because of the cost of ammo but it is cheaper than 17HMR. The same reason the 5m\m didn't servive: "$3.95 a BOX "? Are you crazy.

__________________
2gun is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:25 AM   #220
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
VASH1456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: YUBA CITY,CALIFORNIA
Posts: 105
Default

I was wondering, do they or did they make a FULL AUTO .22 CALIBER GUN?

__________________
VASH1456 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Is the .22mag going away? northhike .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 34 11-26-2014 01:00 AM
got another Marlin 22mag today.. fluffo63 .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 5 08-09-2013 10:10 AM
22lr Vs 22mag rfr4evr .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 14 09-30-2012 06:12 AM
Something to keep in mind for the near future. opaww Politics, Religion and Controversy 1 03-23-2010 09:16 PM