Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > What's your favorite rimfire? and Why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2010, 07:25 PM   #121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My squirrel gun. The trigger is on the way to Neil today. Look out squirrels

Old 06-22-2010, 09:05 PM   #122

Nice--the 10-22 is a fine little weapon. My wife used one till she gave it to our Grandson & now she don't have one set up with a scope yet. I guess I'm an "old timer" I still prefer a wood stock--don't mis-understand me, I see lots of beauty in the modern look but I was just born too many years ago--still like traditional.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:38 PM   #123

Know what you mean sloejoe. I also like wood. I am also an old timer of 71 and have worked in wood all my life. The reason for the stock is because of the weight to carry while chasing tree rats. This gun stock is good for weather and the whole gun is several pound less than stock. Besides my kids and grandkids think its cool The pistol grip helps with these old wrists that don't seem as flexible as they once were. Ain't gittin old great

Old 06-23-2010, 01:51 AM   #124

Gotcha Chortdraw==I'm 68 But I don't feel a day over 90 Heee-Heee.If this is our golden years what will our Platinum be like. I'll just be loading & shooting until I can't see & then I won't care what the gun looks like--just as long as I can make it go bang. Hope I have a few thousand rounds left. I grew up on squirrels & rabbits & may go out on paper but what is left let's make it fun.

It's better to be over the hill than be under it.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:37 PM   #125

You are right ...just go for it. I still do a little carving and build some bows and do some shooting and got into air guns but do these things way slower and farther between. As long as I still have some gray matter left upstairs,my sight and my hands I am going for the gusto!! At this age anything is a gamble. Thank God for what I do have!

Old 06-24-2010, 02:37 AM   #126

That is a great lookin' squirrel gun, Chortdraw! I especially like the finish.

If you're riding' ahead of the herd, take a look back every now and then to make sure it's still there.

Will Rogers

Old 06-24-2010, 05:09 PM   #127

Thanks Kansas, I sure enjoy this gun.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:18 PM   #128

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What a great thread. I loved reading about a lot of .22's that I have shot in years gone by. My favorite is a tough call. The first gun I ever shot was a Remington Model 6 single shot .22, and I'll never forget that. My dad was given that gun when he was 10, and very shortly he was able to pop a chicken's head off in one shot and deliver it to his mother for cooking. I always enjoyed shooting my dad's Remington 550-1 as well and it is still a great shooter even though both it and I turned 50 this year. But, I guess the ones I take out most often are the Nylon 66 and the Ruger 10/22. They are lightweight, especially the non-scoped Nylon 66, and accurate, but most of all fun. The Ruger offers a lot of possibilities (read $$$$$ for accessories) and most are worthwhile and interesting. The Nylon 66 (mine is the Apache Black version w/chrome receiver and barrel) is a magnet for a lot of guys of my generation because so many of us wanted one as kids, or had one and let it slip away. I was the former, and I didn't get mine until I was in my late 20's. I really need to hit the gun shows again soon and find a good example of the other models in brown and green. One more semi-favorite is a Glenfield Model 60 that I picked up off of a friend several years ago. Very economical, functional weapon. What else can you ask for from a .22?

Old 07-07-2010, 11:48 PM   #129

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'll have to go with my Marlin Model 25N Bolt Action Rifle. It's simple, it's accurate, I put a nice leather sling on it. What's not to like?

A Rifle Review: The Marlin 25N - A Classic .22-caliber Rifle

On the handgun side, I would like to say, the S&W 22A. Of course, I was just about to buy it, I was drooling over it, I was budgeting for it, and then I was laid off. So, it will have to remain my once and future handgun. In the meantime, I continue to enjoy my Ruger Single-Six.

My Motto: Vanquish Fear & Panic!
---------------------------------
My blog: GunGator's Gun Blog

Old 07-09-2010, 05:22 AM   #130

My favorite would have to be my Savage 64. Its realiable, simple, accurate, light, and fun to shoot. I added some sling swivels and such to it so I could carry it while squirrel huntin. I had a scope on it but it was a cheapy so I took it off. Ive had over 2000 rounds out of it. The only bad thing about it is the mags are made out of aluminum and they dont last very and at 15 bucks a piece they aint cheap to replace, im only on the second mag but thats the biggest draw back of the gun. Its very reliable, the only 2 jams i had were the mags fault and not the gun or the ammo. It will shoot just about any ammo you can run through it. Ive had the crappy remington value pack stuff, the 550 value pack stuff, the good CCI stuff and some unknown stuff that a friend had. There aren't any after market high cap mags that i can find which is kind of a bummer, but for 100 bucks... ya get a pretty nice rifle.

This was like my 30th firearm or something like that. I walked in to duhnams one day, looked at the rack and bought it. I didnt have a .22 so this little fella fit the bill.