Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Whats the best ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Whats the best ammo?

What are some of your guys experiance with .22ammo, Your likes, dislikes, best performance? Thanks fellas!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-09-2011, 08:25 PM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

For what, in what gun? Pistol, Rifle, Competition, hunting, punching paper?

Personally, I buy the cheapest Name Brand 22LR bulk pack I can find.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #3

Well mostly for target shooting, thats what I usually do. I just got the gun in my avatar pic, and also have a long rifle as well

Old 01-09-2011, 08:32 PM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Buy the cheapest stuff she will run and have fun!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:13 AM   #5

The best Targrt ammo for a decent price is the Wolf MT. It's about $4.50 to $5.50 a box and outshoots a lot of the more expensive ammo.
I did some tests with a 10-22 and the group difference was amazing between the Wolf and several cheap big box ammos, like night and day.
I was getting .370", 5 shot groups from it with a mostly stock thin barreled carbine with the Wolf MT.

I think the next best in a big box type is the Federal Auto Match, about $16.00 for a box of 325.

My most accurate 22 is a savage BRJ that I had accurized. It will shoot Wolf into .1", sometimes a little under on a good wind day, 5 shots @ 50 Yds.

You have to spend a boatload of money to get a 10-22 to shoot as well as one of the new Savage 22's. For the money, I think they are the best 22 on the market. They are a bolt rifle VS a semi auto, but if you like small groups, they are the only way to go. The only money spent in addition to the rifle and scope was $180. for a very complete accurizing job that included an 8 OZ trigger that breaks like glass. If you ae interested in finding out more about the Savage rifles, check out the Savage section over at rimfirecentral.
It will be well worth your time. I just surprised that more people here are not shooting the new Savage rimfires.

John K

Last edited by rifleman55; 01-10-2011 at 04:16 AM.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:38 PM   #6

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default .22 ammo

the aquilla super max hyper velo ....do everything ammo ....only a shade off of magnum velocity and ftlbs ... they are bad ass

Old 01-10-2011, 05:39 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

For plinking I ususally pick up a brick of Federal. It's cheap and accurate enough. I prefer CCI over most anything for the price though.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #8

Also, if you are looking to shoot targets, buy subsonic ammo. It will almost always give the best groups. The hiper velocity ammo gives up some accuracy for speed.

If you do get an ammo that starts out supersonic, the it slows down to subsonic speed before it gets to the target, accuracy will suffer.

Any bullet that goes from supersonic to subsonic gets upset when the change comes, it causes the bullet to have a change in flight stibility which is not a good thing when shooting for accuracy.

John K

Old 01-10-2011, 11:40 PM   #9

Ok guys thanks for the info. So iguess the best thing is, if im just out messin around an plinkin cans buy the cheap stuff, an if im wanting to out shoot my brothers I should get somthing a little bit higher end?

Old 01-11-2011, 04:08 AM   #10

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I miss the Winchester Xpert 36gr HP. about .3 MOA @ 50 yards, .75 MOA @100 yards, and 1.5-2 MOA @ 150 yards out of my MArlin Model 60.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?