Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > What are your favorite Targets to shoot?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2014, 02:50 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I grew up on a farm. To this day, shooting tin cans off a fence post still makes for the perfect afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 02-28-2014, 11:33 AM   #32

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Prairie dogs are my favorite target, hit them a bit low , they fly up. How high depends which rifle I m using and at what distance. When developing reloads I use dots purchased at a office supply store that are stuck to 8.5 X11 inch heavy paper. When finding accurate rimfire ammo or reloads I shoot five shot groups off a bench rest at 60 yards for rimfire and 100 yards for center fire . After finding an accurate ammo I go out and shoot more prairie dogs. I know I m in a rut , but I like it. P dogs are also my main target when shooting my 22 LR RF and 22 WMR rifles but the p dogs don't fly when shot with them. My first rifle was a Rem pump 22 RF. With a tin or beer can set at 25 yards I would shoot fast and try to keep the can moving. Learning to shot fast with a pump or bolt action rifle is good to know when jack rabbit hunting.

Last edited by tuck2; 02-28-2014 at 12:00 PM.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:45 AM   #33
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3000 Times on 2041 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I like the disappearing silhouettes that we shoot at IDPA. You will shoot a steel target that activates another target. The activated target is usually a cardboard silhouette that turns sideways so you can see it for a couple of seconds and then it is gone.

One time I was at a public range. There was a metal gong out at the 500 yard mark. There were guys with their AR15s shooting at distances of around 30 to 50 yards. I fired a shot with my Mosin Nagant. When I sounded the gong a bunch of guys stopped shooting and came over to see my gun. You should have seen their faces when I told them my iron sight Mosin was $100 at Cabelas.

I had a similar thing happen (also-guys with AR's) when I had my M1E2 out one day about 15 yrs ago at an outdoor range in upstate NY. 4 of em all turned around because I put 5 on the steel plate at 500 Yds...didn't have the heart to tell em I had rated SDM in Ranger School after they saw the Pilots' flight jacket...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 03-01-2014, 11:41 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 935 Times on 617 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

*Charcoal Briquettes are great 22lr target, they give leave a little black smoke signature when you hit them A bag goes along way..No clean up needed

*Marshmallows can absorb several hits from 22lr. No cleanup needed

*Plastic army men are good to go also, need to aim real small on them.. Requires clean up

*For high power Save up your plastic Easter Eggs, some mono filament, super glue, flour ,and some sand or pebbles.

1. MIx flour with a bit of sand for weight, (or a few pebbles) pour into egg and glue shut.
2. Glue a length of mono to top of egg, and tie a knotted loop on the other end (for hanging)
3. Hand eggs at varying distances, suspended targets will move in the breeze.
5.SHoot eggs when hit they leave a great white smoke signature in the breeze.
requires a bit of clean up..

*balloon/s tied to a old remote control car is much fun also, however prepare for the errant bullet into the RC's engine block if your not careful

Become steel or get cut.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:55 PM   #35

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb522 View Post
I grew up on a farm. To this day, shooting tin cans off a fence post still makes for the perfect afternoon.

This brings back memories, I also grew up on a farm. Used to go to the "rock pile" as there was always more then just rocks there My dad bought me a Mossberg .22 Model 250 CA for my 14th birthday, with 500 rnds of ammo. Still have the gun; went through all the ammo the first day.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:24 PM   #36

Liked 114 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 138

When watering horses in the winter, we had to knock the ice out of the five gallon buckets...that Ice makes a perfect reactive, cheap target with no clean up....just cold weather target unfortunately.

Cheap soda in cans during warm weather works great for us

Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind.
-Thomas Jefferson to James Smith, 1822.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:32 PM   #37

Liked 1766 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb522 View Post

I had forgotten about that type of shooting. I used to do it with an air rifle. My mom had some property with a fence and then just fields behind it. I was shooting at about 100 yards. I had iron sights. I could not see the can. But I could see the top of the fence post. It is just crazy to be able to shoot something you cant even see.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:53 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I'm partial to blasting Barbasol or spray paint

Old 03-03-2014, 06:39 AM   #39
BRL

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

[QUOTE=tuck2;1518567]...When developing reloads I use dots purchased at a office supply store that are stuck to 8.5 X11 inch heavy paper...QUOTE]

That sounds like a pretty good idea!

Has to be cheaper than getting those sticky "made for shooting" targets at the store all the time.

Just plaster them on a paper plate and check your groups.

One thing you can't really see in the photo above is that someone left a 4'X8' sheet of plywood out at the gravel pit, and I like to paste some of these small orange sticky targets on the primer end of spent shotgun hulls and then shove them into some large enough clusters of bullet holes that were left in the plywood.

Just hit the orange dot on the head of the hull and the whole thing disappears!

...and yes, I do the same thing with my .22LR upper attached to my AR as well.

Last edited by BRL; 03-03-2014 at 06:58 AM.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:42 AM   #40
jyo

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Old fruit---often available for free from stores when overripe (try not to get mushed-up items)---the day after Holloween is pumpkin collection day---fun to shoot and the animals will eat the remains...