Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > What are your favorite Targets to shoot?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 12:17 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 30 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 35

We use the spinning metal targets set up in our backyard "range". We dont get very creative since I really dont feel like picking up left over scraps and pieces from our yard.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:09 PM   #22
BRL

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I like tossing empty 12 gauge shotgun hulls that somebody was kind enough to leave at the gravel pit onto the side of a dirt bank and stepping back around 25-50 yards.

Place a bullet just under the hull and they'll launch into the stratosphere!

Old 02-25-2014, 09:11 PM   #23

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4285

Let's see...dislike picking up trash so full soda cans/bottles are out, as well as stuff like pumpkins, melons...too many bugs n critters we don't need sniffin' around...

We have 30 mild steel 5" mini gongs set up on 3/4 conduit for handguns, hit 'em in the right spot they'll spin all the way around...

We have the self healing spinners, a crow, a groundhog, a diamond shape doo dad and the 10" round target set up from 10 to 50 yds...

I made a stand with a 2x4, a drill and golf tees and use either paintballs or golf balls. The paintballs splatter pretty good and the golf balls go flying...

Train with paper silhouettes...paper plates work really well too...

Several stumps at the range have absorbed hundreds of rounds and are rotting nicely, giving us back our lead...(my buddy casts bullets and we find a couple dozen boolits every time it rains)

Have a 7/8" mild steel plate at the 100 yd mark as well as other scrap metal strung up on makeshift rebar stands for the larger calibers...

Have a 'clay tree' set up at the 100 as well, a 4x4 post sunk in with 10 'y' shaped clay holders on each side for the .22's

Paver stones, concrete blocks and bricks always make for a great reactive target...safe distance of course...

Pretty much anything that we can ventilate is fair game. Had an old pressure cooker we sent straight to hell, an old steel hand towel dispenser was GREAT for catching .22 bullets, some computer hard drives that will never surrender their secrets, tie some balloons down, shoot the string, the shoot the balloon before it floats away, glass is always fun (I don't consider that litter...), an old satellite dish that still makes a good 'ring' when hit...

Got some tannerite for Christmas...so, yeah...

Favorite? All of 'em!

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Last edited by vincent; 02-25-2014 at 09:15 PM. Reason: sp

Old 02-26-2014, 09:28 PM   #24

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I've found old acetylene tanks and I'll have them cut about a foot down from the top. Remove the valve and screw in an eye screw. Hang them from anything. Shoot them and they ring like church bells. The steel is thick enough that a full power 10mm won't even make a dent.

They are really good for people who have a tendency to want to look up at the target after each shot. The sound lets you know you hit so you can keep your eye on that front sight all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 02-27-2014, 04:49 AM   #25
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2822 Times on 1937 Posts
Likes Given: 565

Oh,..for a minute there I thought you meant the Tanks were filled......that would be some "movie like" bulls-eye.....

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 02-27-2014, 05:18 AM   #26

Liked 277 Times on 192 Posts

I love filling random bottles and containers with water and then blasting them to smithereens!

Sent from my VS840 4G using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 02-27-2014, 05:28 AM   #27

Liked 1678 Times on 946 Posts
Likes Given: 1128

I like the disappearing silhouettes that we shoot at IDPA. You will shoot a steel target that activates another target. The activated target is usually a cardboard silhouette that turns sideways so you can see it for a couple of seconds and then it is gone.

One time I was at a public range. There was a metal gong out at the 500 yard mark. There were guys with their AR15s shooting at distances of around 30 to 50 yards. I fired a shot with my Mosin Nagant. When I sounded the gong a bunch of guys stopped shooting and came over to see my gun. You should have seen their faces when I told them my iron sight Mosin was $100 at Cabelas.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 02-27-2014, 05:37 AM   #28
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!

Liked 2822 Times on 1937 Posts
Likes Given: 565

I'm actually looking At Gong targets in catalogs. Least expensive one runs about $70...
Since we finally found a very good public space to shoot, I want to (Eventually) be able to set up 10-12 different targets of different types.

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 02-27-2014, 07:25 AM   #29
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7814 Times on 4512 Posts
Likes Given: 10057

I like to shoot stuff that will not leave trash behind, but all too often those are not reactive enough. I have shot crackers (the Ritz kind) and Necco wafers. Sugar cubes are actually pretty good. Ice cubes are great but may not work out in AZ during the summer. acorns or any other large-ish nut works. Prickly pear fruit would be great I imagine. i bought a box of paintball pellets and they are great targets but very small.

as to non-biodegradables I also shoot spent shotgun shells or even damaged brass that can't be reloaded. Clay birds are generally disappointing because a .22 will just punch a hole in it. Bottle caps or arcade tokens are good ones. We have made several gongs, spinners and other assorted noise makers. You have to be careful with these though because we have found that quite often you will get splatter or ricochets back to the shooting bench with many of these home-built rigs. it is important to design these things so that any bullet fragments will deflect down into the ground.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:50 AM   #30
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1616 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 1305

I shoot at hallucinations whenever one of the voices in my head says to. It's good because there's nothing to clean up, . . usually.

csaw44 Likes This