Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (
-   -   What are your favorite Targets to shoot? (

DrFootball 02-21-2014 07:23 AM

What are your favorite Targets to shoot?
Aside from the traditional paper targets,. We have gotten into "reactive" targets in this last year, in both 2D and 3D types. So don't just SHOW your targets, but tell us why you like to use(and Re-Use) your targets!

nosaj 02-21-2014 09:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Aside from paper, these are probably one of the most commonly used for us

John_Deer 02-21-2014 11:10 AM

Plastic golf balls are my favorite target for plinking, steel targets are a close second. Real golf balls are OK. Especially when shooting a low velocity round every so often you hit the golf ball right in the sweet spot and it is gone. The plastic golf balls are usually retrievable. I find real golf balls in places I never imagined a golf ball could fly.

winds-of-change 02-21-2014 11:23 AM

Great thread. For paper targets, I like the splatter ones, particularly the ones where each ring is a different color.

I've shot gallon jugs filled with water and that was fun, too. With my brother-in-law, he strung them between two trees and we each tried to shoot a little lower than the next. It was fun. I've also shot gallon jugs set at 25 yards, 50 yards and 100 yards. Sometimes, after they were empty, they'd go flying waaay up in the air.

I once brought a watermelon to an outdoor shoot. I always wanted to shoot one. That was fun. I shot it all up but then someone shot it with some higher caliber rifle and sent it into a hundred pieces. That was awesome.

i really like metal targets at the outdoor range JonM goes to. I could spend a couple hours on the .22 range alone. Every rare once in a while I make it up his way and we spend an afternoon shooting. The range he goes to is very fun. And Jon is a great shooting buddy. He's patient, teaches me a lot and brings some really crazy fun firearms to shoot.

I wish I had access to some open land to shoot on. I'd like to try some of those reactive ground targets I've seen at the stores. I'd also like to shoot some cheap pop cans still filled with pop. I'd like to try shooting some tannerite, too. :)

nosaj 02-21-2014 11:50 AM

One time someone had left a tractor trailer hubcap at about the 50 yd mark..
I hit it with the mosin and sent it 25ft in the air. The oooos and cheers from the other benches reaffirmed my feeling of coolness.....haha

MisterMcCool 02-21-2014 12:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 136888

Beezer 02-21-2014 01:08 PM

Any large plastic containers that might normally end up in the recycling bin (milk jugs, juice bottles, laundry detergent bottles, etc), filled with either water or sand. Typically we use those with handguns.

For the rifles, Tannerite has become the target of choice. Set the half pounders at 200 yards and fire away. Sometimes will add a little wrinkle. The last time we shot, I had 4 old computer hard drives that needed to be destroyed. We duct taped 2 of them to a 2 pound Tannerite can and let my wife shoot it. This was her first time shooting a long gun. She nailed it at first shot. It was pretty dang impressive (her shooting skill and the resulting explosion).

winds-of-change 02-21-2014 01:15 PM

I don't own a firearm that would set off regular tannerite. I would have to get the lower impact tannerite. But I'm not complaining. I'd like to shoot any Tannerite.

nchunt101 02-21-2014 02:25 PM

I like old freon drums (used to do HVAC work) for cheap targets.

seancslaughter 02-21-2014 02:34 PM

Mujahideen! Best reactive target in the world!

I will go to a pick and pull and find an old hood and draw targets on it and blast away till its swiss cheese.