Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > what is your favorite .22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 12:47 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My old Remington 512 Sportmaster. My dad gave it to me for my 10th birthday. It's a sweet shooter! Dad bought it new in early 1942 for around $12, just before he left for WWII.

It handles short, longs & long rifle cartridges with ease. Because of the long barrel the shorts sound like a little toy cap gun.

rem-512_015.jpg  

Old 03-10-2011, 03:37 PM   #22

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebramochaman View Post
I currently own two .22 caliber firearms.
OMG you poor poor man. I am sorry you are only allowed to own just 2 rimfires. It will be ok we can all work through this together.

My favorite rimfire the one that goes BANG when it is in my hand.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:05 AM   #23

the ruger 10/22 is an excellent choice with a lot of accesories and it even comes in tactical which is ironic cause i would never use a rimfire as a tactical rifle

Old 03-11-2011, 01:25 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsniper View Post
the ruger 10/22 is an excellent choice with a lot of accesories and it even comes in tactical which is ironic cause i would never use a rimfire as a tactical rifle
Yeah, in a close combat situation I want a round with true stopping power. I'd probably go with a semi auto shot gun for breaching and in house fighting/ close quarters.
The 556 would be ideal (imnsho) for urban fighting and moving house to house. Nice thing about the 556 is its accurate up to 600 yards, it tumbles in the body inflicting lots of internal damage and is less likely to kill than say a 30.06 or 762. The Vietnamese preferred to wound rather than kill, they knew it would knock 3 people out of a combat situation (1 wounded, 2 litter barers), this is something we took with us from that war and is one reason the 556 remains such a popular popular platform, not to mention it's weight and its relatively low cost.
For anything consistently further out than say 300 yrds (sure we can train to use the m16 further than that and it has an effective range twice that, it wasn't necessarily designed as a long range rifle, at 500 yards you can hit a standing man silhouette but it's not a science with iron sights) I'd really want to be able to reach out and touch somebody and 30.06 would be the absolute least powerful round I would go with. I don't really think that at this range you'd actively engage anyone in combat, this is more sniping territory.
So yeah, seeing that you can't exactly drive tacks at more than 100 yds with 95% of the 22s out there and their little more than a nuisance with tac gear on, its not the best weapon to engage an enemy with. BUT, for tac training it'd be preferred over larger rounds simply for cost effectiveness.

NRA ~ first year member
American Legion ~ 5 continuous yrs
Marines ~ Dues Paid Up For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
You must be smokin that liberal sissy ass weed brother.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:12 PM   #25

Liked 715 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 761

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsniper View Post
it could be....

In 1987, the Intifada - the Palestinian uprising against the Israeli regime in the Occupied Territories - broke out, and involved mass violent clashes between Israeli security forces and Palestinians protestors. As a result, the Israeli security forces needed a weapon with a more potent firepower then the standard riot control metal covered rubber round, but at the same time less lethal then the standard issue 5.56 mm round of the M16/Galil assault rifles. So the Israeli Defense Force (IDF) searched for a 0.22 caliber accurate rifle that will be used to take out the key protest leaders by shooting them in the legs.

The Ruger 10/22, fitted with a X4 day optic, a full length suppressor and a Harris bipod was selected for this role and was due to be issued to all infantry oriented units, including both special and conventional forces. However, as often happens in the shoestring budget IDF, financial problems prevented the weapon's mass distribution, and it was mainly issued to Special Forces (SF) units. Moreover, instead of using the rifle as a riot control weapon, as originally intended, the Israeli SF deployed the Ruger 10/22 more as a "Hush Puppy" weapon used to silently and effectively eliminate disturbing dogs prior to operations.

In the recent Israeli-Palestinian clashes began in 2000, the Ruger resumes it's original role as a less lethal riot control weapon. However, it's usage in this role was rather controversial this time. After several incidents involving the death of Palestinians by the Ruger fire, the IDF conducted a field experiment in the Ruger at the IDF Sniper School in Mitkan Adam under the supervision of the IDF Judge Advocate General (JAG). The test showed that the Ruger was more lethal then thought especially in upper body injuries. Also, since it's suppressed and was considered less lethal by the troops, the soldiers were much more likely to use the Ruger loosely then intended.

As a result of this test, the JAG reclassified the Ruger as a lethal weapon. As a lethal weapon, the usage of the Ruger in riot control is much more limited today. In the IDF Center Command it was completely prohibited to use and the IDF South Command it's deployment was cut down dramatically.

More from the site: Israeli Ruger 10/22 Suppressed Sniper Rifle

Old 03-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #26

Liked 715 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 761

my favorite .22 is my Weatherby MK. XXII, its the smoothest .22 rifle ive shot..

Old 03-17-2011, 12:00 AM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Well, since nobody specified, I will say my Winchester lever action in .22WMR.
Otherwise, I have had very good luck with Marlin 60's. For pistols, I am a fan of the S&W Model 41.

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy,
I'm not surprised that you agree.

"Courage is being scared to death… and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #28
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1355 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Old 03-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #29

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I really like to shoot my 1980's Erma/Iver Johnson .22 M-1 Carbine. This one is in pretty close to pristine condition still.....

Old 03-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #30

marlin 39A