What range should I zero my .22 at? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > What range should I zero my .22 at?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default 40 yard dash.......

What do you hunt, what would your target be. I have a 22 lr that will shoot doves on the ground at 100 yards...... the next is set at 40 yards for squirrels for head shots....What are your plans......

Old 09-09-2011, 08:03 PM   #12

Liked 63 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As most have said, 50 yards is about the best distance for a .22. That's the main reason most "rimfire-specific" scopes have the parallax set up for 50.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:39 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1557 Times on 1058 Posts
Likes Given: 1694

Twenty Five Yards !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-10-2011, 01:15 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If you use high Velocity ammo ~1250 ft /sec and have a scope, you can zero at 20 yards. It saves a lot of walking.
At the muzzle, the bullet will be low and at 20 yards the line of sight will coincide with the bullet path.
The bullet will continue to rise over the line of sight ~ 1/2 inch at 40 yards and then drop back to the line of sight at ~ 67 yards and continue to drop more rapidly after that.
Using this info the bullet will never be outside a 1 inch circle---If your rifle and ammo will do it and IF you can do it.
This is theory and every ammo acts differently in each rifle but it is where I would start. After your initial sight in verify at 75 and 100 yards.

Have fun
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #15

Liked 773 Times on 540 Posts
Likes Given: 839

Quote:
Originally Posted by montveil View Post
If you use high Velocity ammo ~1250 ft /sec and have a scope, you can zero at 20 yards. It saves a lot of walking.
At the muzzle, the bullet will be low and at 20 yards the line of sight will coincide with the bullet path.
The bullet will continue to rise over the line of sight ~ 1/2 inch at 40 yards and then drop back to the line of sight at ~ 67 yards and continue to drop more rapidly after that.
Using this info the bullet will never be outside a 1 inch circle---If your rifle and ammo will do it and IF you can do it.
This is theory and every ammo acts differently in each rifle but it is where I would start. After your initial sight in verify at 75 and 100 yards.

Have fun
Knowing where the bullet intersects the line of sight also depends on scope/sight height. Zeroing a scope based on this info is impossible as each rifle may have a different scope height. Keep it simple, 50 yards. At 75 yards you can use a holdover, put the horizontal hair on top of the target. It is not perfect, but it works for plinking.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I agree with the last post in that you have to do range work for final zero.
My post was intended to give a starting point at a closer range for preliminary work. By showing some dynamics of the 22lr round the new shooter might understand how the line of sight crosses the trajectory twice and how the apex of the arc is further downrange than the midpoint due to the bullet slowing.
The shooter must decide on the nominal range he will be shooting and adjust the zero based on his needs. All this is academic IF the shooter is punching paper as then the needed zero would be at the target range.
All this is really splitting hairs if one is hunting or plinking as human range estimation will be the largest variable, especially past 100 yards when the bullet slows rapidly and begins dropping very quickly.
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #17
Jay

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you zero at 25 yards, you'll also be zero at 60 yards, with a hi vel 40 gr bullet.

22 LR Ballistics @ Gunsmoke Engineering

Some of my toys

Old 09-11-2011, 07:55 PM   #18

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I zero at no less than 75 yards. Gives a bit over 1" high in between and about 3" low at 100. But, I like shooting at longer ranges than most, it seems. I'm currently zeroed at 100 yards and usually shoot between 100 and 200.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:00 PM   #19

Oh my! >>>>>>>>

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 09-11-2011 at 10:03 PM.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by montveil View Post
I agree with the last post in that you have to do range work for final zero.
My post was intended to give a starting point at a closer range for preliminary work. By showing some dynamics of the 22lr round the new shooter might understand how the line of sight crosses the trajectory twice and how the apex of the arc is further downrange than the midpoint due to the bullet slowing.
The shooter must decide on the nominal range he will be shooting and adjust the zero based on his needs. All this is academic IF the shooter is punching paper as then the needed zero would be at the target range.
All this is really splitting hairs if one is hunting or plinking as human range estimation will be the largest variable, especially past 100 yards when the bullet slows rapidly and begins dropping very quickly.
What length barrel? If there is a deviation of 100fps, your info means nothing. KISS is the best way, 50 yards. I'm a serious ballistics guy, but what you a proposing is that all things are equal. They are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
If you zero at 25 yards, you'll also be zero at 60 yards, with a hi vel 40 gr bullet.
Same as above! How does velosity effect the data? Does barrel length effect velosity? Does the action effect velosity? I'm not sure how you guys come up w/ these finite numbers. It's a .22lr, not a sniper rifle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
I zero at no less than 75 yards. Gives a bit over 1" high in between and about 3" low at 100. But, I like shooting at longer ranges than most, it seems. I'm currently zeroed at 100 yards and usually shoot between 100 and 200.
So you zero at 75 yards, but you can be 1" high to 3" low at 100 yards? Now I am really confused. Does gravity not really exist where you live?