What to look for
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > What to look for

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2011, 02:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1099 Times on 796 Posts
Likes Given: 565

Default What to look for

I own a mobile marine service and when my customers ask me what type of payment i take i always say cash , check , guns or ammo . a ol timer told me today he had his dads single shot .22 . I know some of these guns are quite valuble . He could not tell me what kind it was but i plan to see it when i go back to finish the job . Now whe says it must be 100 yrs old and im pretty sure the 22 has not been around that long . he is looking at about 300.00 tab and i may to some trading . What would i need to look for ? any particular make or model that would be a steal ? What names would be low in value ? I have yet to see a single shot 22 below the 150-200 range . Thanks for the feedback

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-13-2011, 02:52 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5732 Times on 2995 Posts
Likes Given: 379

the 22 rimfires have been around longer than centerfire cartridges dating back to the civil war. in the 1800s woman used to have tea parties and shoot rimfires in the parlours at target boxes over tea and crackers...

most single shot 22's are generic mass produced. when someone tells ya hey got a 100 year old gun sight unseen its prolly from 1979 some good pics closeups of the markings would be the only for anyone here to tell ya what its ballpark worth is.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-13-2011, 08:40 AM   #3

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
Now whe says it must be 100 yrs old and im pretty sure the 22 has not been around that long

This one was made in 1858.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 05-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #4

Liked 720 Times on 465 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Now if he has a Winchester Winder musket in 22LR, then $300 would be quite a bargain.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:57 PM   #5

Liked 1099 Times on 796 Posts
Likes Given: 565

well he is older , prob in his 60's and it said it was his dads way back then when his pops had a general store , and its a rifle . Its sitting in his closet and the thought of a gun sittin in a closet rusting up and getting dingle berries on it just bothers me . He wants to sell it but his wife of all people said he should keep it but im going after it . I never sell so im not looking to make money I just dont want to get ripped too bad . If its a J.C higgins or H&R id figure 100.00 tops

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.