What kind of groupings should I expect out of a most stock 10/22
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > What kind of groupings should I expect out of a most stock 10/22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2013, 02:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 58 Times on 32 Posts

Default What kind of groupings should I expect out of a most stock 10/22

I've been trying to get my 10/22 (16" barrel, ATI ITAC stock, Nikon Prostaff Scope) all lined out and zero'd and it's starting to piss me off.

I figured, as flat as .22lr flies for the first 75ish yards, I could get it good enough at 25 yards and dead on at 50, and it'd be a good plinker and squirrel killer.

Now, this is what it's doing at 25 yards, which seems to me, is more that good enough.

At 50 (didn't shoot good enough to warrant taking any pictures), I'd be getting 3-4 distinct holes each .25 inches - a full inch apart from one another, which doesn't seem good enough to me at all. It was also pretty windy that day, I'd try to wait until it died down enough to shoot, but it may have been affecting me too.

I'm newish to this range shooting and whatnot though, so I don't really know what to expect accuracy-wise. What should I be seeing at 25 and 50 yards?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-26-2013, 02:54 AM   #2

Liked 2202 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 479

That's about right with just random ammo. You may need to try a few different brands and loads of ammo to find what your rifle really likes.

I did a pretty extensive test of different brands and loads of .22 ammo to find out which ones my 10/22 really likes. Of course this was a few years ago when ammo was really available. A couple things I also tinkered with and actually noticed that seemed to improve groups a bit:

- I placed a pressure pad in the barrel channel of the stock toward the forward end, by adding individual layers of duct tape until groups tightened up.

- I also noticed that the rifle would fire the first round slightly off from the rest if the auto loaded rounds. So, I would load a mag, chamber the first round and fire it at a different point on the target and consider that a throw away shot, then fire the rest for groups.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #3

Liked 257 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Most of us shoot 20-50 fouling shots to season a new barrel before trying for groups. Changing ammo types every few rounds doesn't help either. Each type has its own lube. This changes POI! You should be able to get 0.5-1.0" groups at 50 yards with a stock 10/22 and ANY good ammo. The POI will be slightly different for each type of ammo. The gun may need 500 rounds or more to break in properly before it will group well.

Clean the barrel well, out of the box has factory oil and is NOT clean. Shoot 50 rounds of one type. Then run a clean, dry patch through from the breach end. Now shoot groups. Repeat whenever you change ammo types. Only oil the bore when you are ready to put the gun up after a session ...

Don't overclean. A full stripdown clean is only needed every 1000 rounds or so. Don't clean from the muzzle end. This puts wear on the crown and important last inch of rifling. Have a cleaning hole drilled in the reciever or get a cleaning rod guide that fits over the muzzle.

More barrels are ruined by cleaning rods than anything else! Even plastic or aluminum rods ruin barrels, not just steel! Damage is done by the grit that sticks on their sides. Think of a fine file running up and down the bore and wearing away the rifling. Try to make sure the rod comes straight out the bore with no side pressure. A bore guide help with this.

The cleaning hole drilled through the back of the reciever is the best, but it requires the action to be removed from the stock, and the bolt group out, to clean the barrel. Not the easiest option for a stock 10/22!

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 12-26-2013 at 03:08 PM.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:15 PM   #4

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

An out of the box 10/22 isn't the most accurate .22 on the planet.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 01-03-2014, 12:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
No it doesn't compare with most good bolt guns. And its no where near my $1000 10/22 race gun. But it is surprisingly accurate if you take the right steps to get the best out of it.

Ssgn_docs point of a simple pressure pad is right on. Most guns, not just 10/22's need some tweaking to get the best accuracy. This does not mean a full rebarrel, trigger group and stock is nessesary to get squirrel hunter accuracy. A cheap scope, the pressure pad and maybe a light polish on the trigger should make a fine hunter. Call it $30 including the scope...

Take a look at the posts above see what we actually said. 0.5-1.0" at 50 yards. I can and have done this many times with my own 10/22's out of the box new. And several times with customers guns that "wouldn't group" to prove a point. The break in process needs to be followed, and a single ammo needs to be used for decent grouping. Any quality ammo is this good, match ammo is "much" better.

The gun is capable of this out of the box. Usually the limit is the shooters capabilities...

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

Last edited by dwmiller; 01-03-2014 at 12:43 AM.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:18 PM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1990 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
You are right but I have seen out of the box 10-22 rifles shoot under .3" at 25 yards more than once and I have seen it done with factory irons from the sitting position with mini mags. Admittedly the guy was an expert marksman. The rifle still has to be capable of doing it. The best shooter in the world can not make a poor rifle shoot well. Mine has a barrel tension screw 2" in front of the action and it is quite accurate.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 01-03-2014, 07:51 PM   #7

Liked 1740 Times on 899 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

I've got a 10/22 TD. The way biggest difference I've seen is with the ammo. With such a small charge and grain, itsy bitsy differences that don't amount to much on a centerfire round, make a HUGH difference in a 22lr. You need to shoot some consistent high end stuff to tease out what's the ammo, what's the rifle, or what's you.

locutus Likes This 
Old 01-03-2014, 08:00 PM   #8
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 860 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 385

If your getting 3-4 distinct holes each .25 inches - a full inch apart from one another the first thing I would check is the scope, make sure all the screws are good and tight.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel View Post
If your getting 3-4 distinct holes each .25 inches - a full inch apart from one another the first thing I would check is the scope, make sure all the screws are good and tight.
If its not this take the scope back and get another. It doesn't take much for something to come loose inside the scope housing. Once it breaks this way, that scope will never group again!

Wally world Nikon scopes are prone to this because of how they are beat around in shipping before they get sold. Many other big chain stores have the same problem. Best thing you can say for WW is its easy to return stuff....

Last edited by dwmiller; 01-03-2014 at 08:20 PM.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:11 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Here is a target I shot at 50 feet indoors, stock barrel, testing available ammo: