What .22lr firearms should I avoid? - Page 53
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > What .22lr firearms should I avoid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #521
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 51 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke1
I've always been addicted to 10-22's myself but then I was breast Fed ha
I have to watch as my boy gets a boob in his mouth all night long and I get to fix the gutter. Lucky me, life is not fair

Old 05-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #522

Liked 96 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Are there hit and miss exceptions to this rule... sure... but the overriding factor is that the .22 LR is a "revolver cartridge".Tack
In 1887 the Stevens Arms Co. developed the ultimate in .22 rimfire cartridges, the .22 Long Rifle. This used the .22 Long case with a 40 grain RN bullet loaded to higher velocity than the 29 grain Long bullet. It shot flatter and hit harder than any of the previous .22 rimfires except the .22 Extra Long, whose performance it essentially duplicated in a shorter case, and it was more accurate than that cartridge.

The .22 Long Rifle caught on, was adapted to both rifles and pistols, and became the most popular sporting and target shooting cartridge in the world. After the advent of smokeless powder a High Velocity version of the .22 LR was introduced, which further extended the .22 LR's superiority as a small game hunting cartridge.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:47 PM   #523

Liked 5011 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by redscho View Post
In 1887 the Stevens Arms Co. developed the ultimate in .22 rimfire cartridges, the .22 Long Rifle. This used the .22 Long case with a 40 grain RN bullet loaded to higher velocity than the 29 grain Long bullet. It shot flatter and hit harder than any of the previous .22 rimfires except the .22 Extra Long, whose performance it essentially duplicated in a shorter case, and it was more accurate than that cartridge.

The .22 Long Rifle caught on, was adapted to both rifles and pistols, and became the most popular sporting and target shooting cartridge in the world. After the advent of smokeless powder a High Velocity version of the .22 LR was introduced, which further extended the .22 LR's superiority as a small game hunting cartridge.
...thats all well and good but... it's still a "revolver" cartridge. Well suited to "revolvers" and long guns which employ either fixed tubular magazine or detachable "rotary" magazines.

Marketing is great and all but I've personally fired an example of every stick mag feed semi auto .22 LR "pistol" and "rifle" available... and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM JAMMED EXCESSIVELY.

The only .22 LR guns I've fired with a "reasonable" malfunction rate are Rugers 10-22 carbine, Single Six Revolver, and an uncles Henry Golden Boy.

This has also been my experience with other "revolver" cartridges chambered in stick feed semi autos such as:
Desert Eagle .44 Mag... JAMOMATIC... suspect .357 Mag would be as bad.

However... I've fired Desert Eagle .50 AE and an AMT .50 AE which were both reliable. The difference being that the .50 AE does not have the "cylinder lip" at the base of it's casing like the .22LR, .357, .44, Ect, Ect.

With enough time, effort, and expense, and care in loading, is it possible to "make" a stick fed .22 LR "reliable?" Yes... people do it every day... but that does not change the fact that the casing design, when used in stick fed semi autos, IS inherently LESS reliable than pistol cartridges that were actually designing for stick fed semi auto use.

Nothing wrong with the .22 LR but the OP did ask what to "stay away" from. Rather than just telling him to go with the 10-22, Golden Boy, or Single Six, I thought it might be good to tell him why.

Tack

Last edited by Tackleberry1; 05-23-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Colby Likes This 
Old 05-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #524

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotex View Post
I have to watch as my boy gets a boob in his mouth all night long and I get to fix the gutter. Lucky me, life is not fair
Look at this way partner... we Husbands get the "FUN" part of baby making.

Our wives get to pack them for 9 months, squeeze a grapefruit through a passage the size of small marble, then endure several month of being nursed upon, cleaning up poop, loosing sleep, ect... ect... ect...

Sure we pitch in... but I think all Mothers would agree that "life's not fair"... and they'd have a damn good point.

Tack
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 05-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #525

Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Mine...............
Tackleberry1 Likes This 
Old 05-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #526

Liked 96 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 151

[QUOTE=Tackleberry1;1255934

Marketing is great and all but I've personally fired an example of every stick mag feed semi auto .22 LR "pistol" and "rifle" available... and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM JAMMED EXCESSIVELY.

Tack[/QUOTE]

WOW! That covers a lot of firearms. I never new that 22 LR magazine fed automatics were so unreliable. Does that go for bolt action magazine rifles also? Makes one wonder why we call this round 22 Long Rifle rather than 22 Long Revolver? I have nowhere near the experience to say that all magazine fed autos are reliable, but the ones I do own have never let me down. But I probably have put less than 10,000 rounds through them in the past 30 years or so. I had a High Standard HD Military once that someone buggered up the magazine lips on and that would hang up occasionally but a good gunsmith cured that. Sorry I ever sold it.
22lr-magazine-fed-autos.jpg  

Last edited by redscho; 05-24-2013 at 07:05 PM.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:19 AM   #527

Liked 206 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Tach,

I would be happy to show you how to load a magazine for a 22 LR semi-auto. I have two a 10/22 & a Neos and neither of them jam. (Ever)

Jim

You do understand these are blow back guns (22 LR) and need sufficient power to work the bolt?

Old 05-25-2013, 01:51 AM   #528

Liked 275 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 55

In my experience, .22 pistols with full slides tend to have the most issues. If you don't use one of the high power LR's, there is a good chance of malfunction. That being said, my S&W 22A does NOT have any issues. Federal ammo will in fail to fire occasionally, but that's the ammo, not the gun.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:11 AM   #529

Quote:
Originally Posted by redscho View Post
WOW! That covers a lot of firearms. I never new that 22 LR magazine fed automatics were so unreliable. Does that go for bolt action magazine rifles also? Makes one wonder why we call this round 22 Long Rifle rather than 22 Long Revolver? I have nowhere near the experience to say that all magazine fed autos are reliable, but the ones I do own have never let me down. But I probably have put less than 10,000 rounds through them in the past 30 years or so. I had a High Standard HD Military once that someone buggered up the magazine lips on and that would hang up occasionally but a good gunsmith cured that. Sorry I ever sold it.
Does not apply to bolt guns. Semi auto stick mag feeds have always been the issue for me. 20 years of shooting them... Pretty sure I'm loading the mags correctly.

Have 2 GSG 1911's in the safe... Neither will cycle a complete mag.
Had a Ruger .22/45... Same issue
Shot dozens of other makes of rifles and pistols in .22LR and every single one of them would jam at least once per mag.

In contrast the 3 Designs I mentioned above do not have excessive failure rates.

Op... It's always good to take advice with a grain of salt... particulary "rave" advice. Pride of ownership combined with previous statements often causes some gun guys to overstate the performance of there guns...

Sorta like the guy who droped that trophy buck at 300 yards with his 30.30

Tack

Old 05-25-2013, 02:20 AM   #530

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
Tach,

I would be happy to show you how to load a magazine for a 22 LR semi-auto. I have two a 10/22 & a Neos and neither of them jam. (Ever)

Jim

You do understand these are blow back guns (22 LR) and need sufficient power to work the bolt?
I specifically call out the 10/22's rotary mag design as one of the good ones partner.
MisterMcCool Likes This