What .22lr firearms should I avoid? - Page 52
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > What .22lr firearms should I avoid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 04:16 AM   #511
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3062 Times on 2082 Posts
Likes Given: 648

Default If you find any...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostridergunner View Post
My Mossberg 702 plinkster is great, the mag's can be picky about ammo. I've noticed mag dimentional inconsistencies, but if the ammo works with the mag, it cycles great, with impressive accuracy. My favorite .22 thus far. If anyone knows where I can find a 25rd mag for this, I would appreciate it. Thanks
Please let us Know!! All I can find are the std. 10 rds. or aftermarket 15's....not a 20 or 25 in sight.... Love my 702! put a 1.5 inch 5shot group at 50 yds with CCI mini-mags.

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 05-22-2013, 04:31 AM   #512

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
Everyone seems to ask about what .22 firearms are good.

What about which .22 firearms are BAD!

Have any .22 firearms you dislike? If so why?
I would recommend avoiding the M&P 15-22. It's a high price for its muscle

Old 05-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #513
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 61 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308Wins View Post
I would recommend avoiding the M&P 15-22. It's a high price for its muscle
As the very pleased owner of a 15-22; I, of course, must disagree. While the retail prices for this gun have risen to reflect the current situation, it remains one of the finest AR-style rim-fires available. Almost any accessory that fits a standard AR will fit a 15-22 (though some, like a bayonet, require an adapter) and the function remains the same. For tactical training in techniques used in law enforcement and military environments it serves a valid, cost-effective alternative to a standard-caliber AR. For those of us who like to remember the feel of the weapon we carried in war but don't have the practical and financial justification for a "real" Stoner-platform gun; the 15-22 allows us to retain our skills at reasonable cost (well...USUALLY!). The 15-22's high rate-of-fire and accuracy make it a valid tool for rim-fire 3-gun competition while the ability to quickly change sighting apparatus allows the shooter to work a shoot-house or a woods-full of squirrels without spending a day in the shop changing configurations or owning multiple guns. A lot of us love these things and use them for multiple roles and I would suggest a person shopping for a .22 rifle give the S&W 15-22 a long look before deciding on a possibly less-satisfactory alternative.

"History teaches that war begins when nations believe that the price of aggression is cheap." - Ronald Reagan

Old 05-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #514

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEagleEars

As the very pleased owner of a 15-22; I, of course, must disagree. While the retail prices for this gun have risen to reflect the current situation, it remains one of the finest AR-style rim-fires available. Almost any accessory that fits a standard AR will fit a 15-22 (though some, like a bayonet, require an adapter) and the function remains the same. For tactical training in techniques used in law enforcement and military environments it serves a valid, cost-effective alternative to a standard-caliber AR. For those of us who like to remember the feel of the weapon we carried in war but don't have the practical and financial justification for a "real" Stoner-platform gun; the 15-22 allows us to retain our skills at reasonable cost (well...USUALLY!). The 15-22's high rate-of-fire and accuracy make it a valid tool for rim-fire 3-gun competition while the ability to quickly change sighting apparatus allows the shooter to work a shoot-house or a woods-full of squirrels without spending a day in the shop changing configurations or owning multiple guns. A lot of us love these things and use them for multiple roles and I would suggest a person shopping for a .22 rifle give the S&W 15-22 a long look before deciding on a possibly less-satisfactory alternative.
Definitely respect the AR style, got a 10/22 for a lot cheaper though. It's got a lot of positives to it making it a great gun, but the price just grosses me out!

Old 05-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #515

Liked 51 Times on 38 Posts

I have both a ruger 22/45lite and a sug522 and they are dirty as **** right now, ekkk, need to clean them and they still shot really well

Tex

Old 05-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #516

Liked 4716 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 1443

Every single .22LR semi auto EVER PRODUCED... with the notable exceptions of those that feed from an integral tubular magazine or a detachable rotary magazine.

Are there hit and miss exceptions to this rule... sure... but the overriding factor is that the .22 LR is a "revolver cartridge". You can tell by the extractor lip at the base of the casing. It's diameter is larger than the case itself so it does not drop clear through a revolvers cylinder. This applies to every cartridge that was designed for revolvers to include .38 SPC, .357 Mag, .44 SPC and Mag... ECT...ECT...ECT.

None of these rounds were designed to function reliable from a stacked magazine. Many manufacturers have tried and failed...some miserably.

Semi Auto rounds on the other hand have a case that is "rebated" just ahead of the extraction collar meaning that the entire cartridge is no wider that it's body which allows these round to slide along one another, front to back, as they need to when feeding from a stacked magazine.

Rugers success with the 10-22 is not due to the rifle, it's due to rotary magazine which does not require the rounds to slide back and forth atop each other.

There are several other successful .22LR rifles whose designs use integral tubular magazines...some are semi like the old but feed Remingtons... and some are lever actions like the Henry Golden Boy.

Long story short... if you want a reliable .22LR rifle with a detachable mag... go with the Ruger and it's "rotary" mag. If you want a reliable .22LR handgun, go with a revolver.

Good Luck

Tack

Old 05-23-2013, 02:44 AM   #517

I've always been addicted to 10-22's myself but then I was breast Fed ha

Old 05-23-2013, 02:48 AM   #518

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke1
I've always been addicted to 10-22's myself but then I was breast Fed ha
Say what you wish, I wouldn't want someone to shoot me with 25 .22s

Old 05-23-2013, 03:04 AM   #519

Liked 4716 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 1443

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308Wins View Post
Say what you wish, I wouldn't want someone to shoot me with 25 .22s
So... You draw the line at 25? But 24 would be ok?

Good Plan!

Old 05-23-2013, 03:11 AM   #520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1

So... You draw the line at 25? But 24 would be ok?

Good Plan!
24 is fine dude