Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > What .22lr firearms should I avoid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #501
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My Mossberg 702 plinkster is great, the mag's can be picky about ammo. I've noticed mag dimentional inconsistencies, but if the ammo works with the mag, it cycles great, with impressive accuracy. My favorite .22 thus far. If anyone knows where I can find a 25rd mag for this, I would appreciate it. Thanks

Old 03-04-2013, 07:15 AM   #502

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 11

You might try Bass Pro shops if you live close to one. If not try their online store. I live near Prattville, Al. and I bought 3 just yesterday. They had 50-60 on a display, and the sales guy said they had just been come in. Hope this helps, good luck.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #503

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

We have seen many to avoid.

Some good ones to buy, when/if you can find em...Any MOSSBERG that is too rough/ruff.

They clean up good and the 10/22 shooters come buy to see what in the heck are you shooting to get groups like those??

Just make sure the meatl parts are good. Stocks can be refinished and maybe replaced, maybee.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #504

Mine has never failed me,,,,Yet. Could be the ammo. I use Remington thunder bolt and CCI mini mag in the Velocitors. Never once a issue.

I refuse to pay extra for ammo today that is SO Over the Top Prices !
Because of all the buying, you are setting the Bar Higher for us all to pay.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:28 AM   #505

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmokeer View Post
Those AR-7 survival rifles, the ones where the barrel and action can be stored in the huge hollow plastic stock, are lousy. Inaccurate and unreliable, in my experience.

The Phoenix Arms .22 semi-auto pistol, which looks good and fits my hand well, and only sells for $125 brand new, is not reliable. And it has some really weird controls and safety features that have never been seen on any other handgun (and I hope they are never used again on any future guns, either).
(P.S. The Phoenix Arms Rangemaster is accurate. It's just not reliable.)
The Henry AR-7 Survival Rifle is an excellent rifle that does exactly what it is supposed to do.

While it is supposed to be used with High Velocity, I can successfully utilize a full magazine of Aquila Subsonic 1025 fps about 3/4s of the time with the result being 3" groups at 50 yards with the default 2mm thick front plastic sight.

Anyone who wants to successfully and reliably use this firearm needs to remember something: It is very light.

Use a firm brace, grip and cheek plant to assist the bolt - keep your hand off the magazine - no problems when using High Velocity CCI Mini-Mags whether round point or hollow point.

Dis-assembly, cleaning and re-assembly is an utter piece of cake.

The Phoenix Arms HP22A is actually a nice pistol for the cost - however it is not for everyone. It's a personality issue. If you want to get straight to the point in 15 minutes like a general bicycle mechanic doing small tasks - the HP22A is not for you.

However, if you are like me, someone who is methodical, can focus on a task for an hour straight, methodically practice something hundreds of times over to establish "conditioned response" - then the HP22A is for you.

I'm a methodical SOB.

The HP22A fits my personality. However, some caveats:

1. Don't limp wrist - take the recoil up with the arm - not the wrist. Limp wristing will result in jams and/or misfeeds.

2. When you first use the firearm, it really does need breaking in for a good 100-200 rounds. And accessories you add like the 5" barrel - is going to require some emery cloth sanding and further breaking in. A little time, emery cloth and oil isn't the end of the world.

3. Use a nice smooth edged steel plate notched for 16mm to assist you in opening the barrel the first dozen times. Afterward, you'll be able to open the barrel with your fingers only.

4. Use Standard Velocity round nose ammunition only. If you use high velocity - you'll break the firearm. It's stated clearly in the manual what velocity ammo to us.

5. Feed the magazines only 9 rounds - trying to go 10 pains the fingers. If using a last-round-hold-open slug, stop at 8. Trying to put 9 in once again pains the fingers. Cheap magazines are simply that, cheap magazines. Sure they can do 10 (9 with mod.) but its a pain.

=8-)

Debating the result of a debate is in itself sedition...

Last edited by mrrabbit; 03-29-2013 at 06:57 AM.
eldarbeast Likes This 
Old 03-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #506

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Mr Rabbit-caution if in my neighborhood delivering Easter eggs-rabit season is open now..

Regarding your discussion of a firearm thst Im not familiar with :

Caveat #2-sanding w/ emery cloth and oil?? What part of the barrel needs sanding??

Old 03-30-2013, 12:20 AM   #507

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by langenc View Post
Mr Rabbit-caution if in my neighborhood delivering Easter eggs-rabit season is open now..

Regarding your discussion of a firearm thst Im not familiar with :

Caveat #2-sanding w/ emery cloth and oil?? What part of the barrel needs sanding??
The lower flat sides from rear to transition-to-round point that the slide travels along.

Slide will stick until it is worn in a tad. Until it is worn in - there's the risk of the chamber sticking open about a 2mm before firing off the next round.

Minimal work really, strip of emery cloth on a flat block of narrow wood - little oil - 40-50 repetitive workings of the slide in normal fashion and voila - slide when released will finally close 100% on its own.

I know of others reporting having to remove the barrel first time the hard way - getting in to so some minor flashing filing - such that from that point on the barrel can be removed easily using fingers alone.

=8-)

Debating the result of a debate is in itself sedition...

Old 04-30-2013, 01:54 PM   #508

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like to think " There Are No Bad .22s" I love every one of them that I own and so far all I've been privileged to shoot from other collections.
I very much respect what Mrrabbit is saying. With the proper care and maybe a little finesse to can make most problems go away.
Now , that being said, if you don't want to mess with the workings of the gun or experiment with ammo and maybe you don't want to clean the weapon all that much, then there are some guns to avoid.
I will happily take any gun that doesn't work for anyone else by the way.
I think accuracy and dependability of most guns, not just .22s, are dependant upon who is handling them. Some people can own a 20.00 montgomery ward .22 and shoot the eye out of a squirrel at 50 yards and never clean it while others cant hit the broad side of a barn with a Volquartzen custom. We have to find our own fit. I could shoot most of what people are complaining about in this thread without a big problem. I like to tinker and tweek so instead of being frustrated In become determined to mtune the firearm. Another person may want to simply shoot without all that hassle , that's fine too.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #509

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As a new gun owner I wanted to start off with a .22 pistol, did my homework and purchased a Sig Sauer 1911 .22lr, the manual suggest what time of ammo to use, I found the Remington Golden Bullet Hollow point (box of 525) for $24.99 at Dick's in Compliant NJ state, the best ammo, tryed the Thunderbolt nothing but FTF's, selling whats left to anyone at the range cheap. As for accurcy, practice, practice and more practice, will pay off. The gun is great and for $390.00 I do recommend, my second .22 is a S&W M&P15-22 what a great gun, eats everything I feed no problems with over 1300 rounds, I shoot both guns at least 2 to 3 times a week. Im no expert just my opion.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #510

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Anyone new to shooting semi-auto .22s should be leery of the truncated bullets. They have a tendency to hang up on the ramp. Even hollow points can hang up and give a finicky pistol problems. This is another reason to have at least one .22 revolver, you can feed it anything the others won't run through.