What .22lr firearms should I avoid? - Page 45
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > What .22lr firearms should I avoid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 03:21 AM   #441
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 156 Times on 93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj656
The P22 has got to be one of the worst firearms ever built, IMHO. I have one but I find the plastic/zinc combination a recipe for FAILURE! I'm selling mine and sticking with my STEEL High Standards and Rugers.
Agreed, a family member of mine bought one of these p22's too, FTF's common everytime I've ever shot it. Now I don't like bad-mouthing most firearms because most of todays choices are pretty damn reliable, but the P22 is definently an exception to this IMHO.

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved

Old 11-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #442

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Jeff, I am not implying that you are a liar, but perhaps you embellish a bit...............I have shot all types of firearms for near 60 years........You put a lot of creedence in these film clips....I have witnessed a bunch of these filmed shootings and the shooters were well practiced and had things set up for their shooting.....

Hold over so high that the intended target can't be seen because the front sight is above the target is pure luck if not practiced with many calculated shots until the "right" angle is established and windage is pure luck also.......Notice that the shooters don't fire free hand....They usually use a prop or even their knees to steady their practiced angle.....Also note that the target isn't moving..........Their films would not be interesting if you saw them walking the shots into the target with numerous misses.

I shoot 22cal pistols and rifles now and I can hit targets at and over 100 yards because I have many thousands of rounds of practice.........Free hand with pistols I still have to walk rounds into the targets beyond 50 yards.........I use scoped rifles and I use ballistic charts to determine POA and POI.................I have a S&W 2206 with a 4 1/2" barrel that will produce 6 to 10" inch groups at 100 yards by putting the front sight on the target and then lining the rear sight on the front sight base.....This gives me the 6" hold over for Winchester 36g HVHP ammo I use........One cannot do this at greater ranges because most larger calibur pistols aren't long enough to have any kind of sight alignment to use a fixed POA.

More power to you in your natural ability to shoot your big bores at 175 yard gallon milk jugs..........You definattely have more cash than I to buy all that expensive ammo.......I shoot my big bores occasionally in indoor ranges at paper sillouet targets to keep my hand in.....Sadly with my old eyes my accuracy is just good enough to renew my CWP on occasion.

Good luck and keep shooting.....If possible make us a film clip of your shooting adventures

Dan

Old 11-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #443

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 24

MoreAltitude, I bought my son and grandsons a Walther P 22 5 1/2" barrel and extra mag about 2 years ago....He had some trouble with FTF and FTEs until he experimented with different brands of ammo.........CCI, Winchester HVHP 36g, Federal HVHP 36g work with an occasional FTFs work fine in the pistol now.........Many of the newer rifles and pistols nowadays seem to be picky on which ammo works best in them.......22cal is a dirty ammo and frequent cleaning goes a long way in maintaining reliability.

Remington Gold and Winchester Wildcat were the brands that gave him the most trouble......Any subsonic ammo is iffy in most newer auto loader 22s.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #444

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff56 View Post

You people just don't know what the heck you're talking about to put it plainly. Drop by some day and we'll go shooting. I'm in southern Ohio. Just drop me a line and I'll be glad to show you how little you know.
You're right- The rest of us are idiots
You ARE good at finding vids of OTHER people doing things tho
You want me to find a video of a dragon screwin a chicken?
Bet i could

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

eldarbeast Likes This 
Old 11-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #445

Liked 156 Times on 93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan01
MoreAltitude, I bought my son and grandsons a Walther P 22 5 1/2" barrel and extra mag about 2 years ago....He had some trouble with FTF and FTEs until he experimented with different brands of ammo.........CCI, Winchester HVHP 36g, Federal HVHP 36g work with an occasional FTFs work fine in the pistol now.........Many of the newer rifles and pistols nowadays seem to be picky on which ammo works best in them.......22cal is a dirty ammo and frequent cleaning goes a long way in maintaining reliability.

Remington Gold and Winchester Wildcat were the brands that gave him the most trouble......Any subsonic ammo is iffy in most newer auto loader 22s.
Thanks for writing me that, I'm not really sure what ammo my bro has used in his p22, ill be sure to pass your recommendation along.

BTW, in another post you mentioned your S&W 2206, now that is good .22 pistol. I had one and it ate everything I would throw in it, extremely accurate, and just fun to shoot. A few years ago my house was broken into and it got stolen, hoping someone will run across it someday and get it back to me :-(

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved

Old 11-30-2012, 10:54 PM   #446

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

tangfolio s/a revolver. The only revolver I have seen with a saftey. This pos shoots about 24" high at 7 yds. it would need about an inch high front sight to poi/poa correlate. maybe more. it's ok though ; got it some years ago in a box of fish as a gift.....

Old 11-30-2012, 10:57 PM   #447

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomykay12 View Post
tangfolio s/a revolver. The only revolver I have seen with a saftey. This pos shoots about 24" high at 7 yds. it would need about an inch high front sight to poi/poa correlate. maybe more. it's ok though ; got it some years ago in a box of fish as a gift.....
Its that stoopid safety--
Take it off & it'll shoot fine

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-01-2012, 02:20 AM   #448

Liked 123 Times on 75 Posts

I've got a friend that can hit asprin tablets thrown in the air using a 22lr. I've watched him and his two sons all do this. Granted not every tablet thrown gets hit but I was amazed.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:22 AM   #449

Liked 123 Times on 75 Posts

Wanted to see If I could start another debate. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #450

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin View Post
I've got a friend that can hit asprin tablets thrown in the air using a 22lr. I've watched him and his two sons all do this. Granted not every tablet thrown gets hit but I was amazed.
Byron Ferguson can do it with a longbow so there.... Actually I am going to need you to define "asprin." The chewable kid ones are pretty big where the baby asprin is small....I just need to understand exacly how impressed I should be. There....debate on! You know what...this whole thing gives me a headache....just wish I had some asprin.