What .22lr firearms should I avoid? - Page 44
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > What .22lr firearms should I avoid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #431
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Correction:

If I may

http://www.theshootersbox.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=312

http://www.nrablog.com/post/2012/09/01/American-Rifleman-breaks-down-Rugers-new-22-revolver-and-semi-automatic-pistols.aspx

http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/ruger-2245-lite-review/

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/rug22pcn.htm

When one can shoot BE at the National High Master level, then one can say Ruger MK 1,2,3 cannot shoot!

I have shot NMC 250 with Ruger MK 2.
Many Rugers in this bunch and lower scores. Remembe this is only one handed shooting.

http://www.nrahq.org/compete/natpdf/cp136-12.pdf

Old 11-27-2012, 10:52 PM   #432

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Slight Correction:

If I may

http://www.theshootersbox.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=312

http://www.nrablog.com/post/2012/09/01/American-Rifleman-breaks-down-Rugers-new-22-revolver-and-semi-automatic-pistols.aspx

http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/ruger-2245-lite-review/

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/rug22pcn.htm

When one can shoot BE at the National High Master level, then one can say Ruger MK 1,2,3 cannot shoot!

I have shot NMC 250 with Ruger MK 2.
Many Rugers in this bunch and lower scores. Remembe this is only one handed shooting.

http://www.nrahq.org/compete/natpdf/cp136-12.pdf

Old 11-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #433

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
I have shot NMC 250 with Runger MK 2.
Again (I said this before) the Mk II is one of the most accurate pistols of any kind I've ever shot. I have shot lots of 2" groups at 75 yards with one my friend has and that's iron sights and just resting against the side of a fence post or something similar. That Ruger has a 12" bull barrel and it shoots better than most rimfire rifles I've shot.

But I've never had any luck shooting a Standard (Mk I). I've shot at least a dozen of them and not one has been what I would call accurate. There's a huge difference between the Mk I and the Mk II IMO. I know other Ruger rimfire pistols shoot well also. I don't have a problem with Ruger at all. I own one in fact. But it isn't a Standard and I will never own one unless someone shows me it shoots far better than the others I've shot.

I'm not exactly new to pistols BTW. I shoot gallon jugs at 175 yards with my S&W 629. I know how to shoot. I know what's accurate and what isn't too. I find it hard to believe I have seen a dozen Standards that weren't accurate and it was all some cosmic accident. I'd love to have a Mk II. But unless someone gives me one I have no use for a Standard.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #434

Liked 127 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff56 View Post
I'm not exactly new to pistols BTW. I shoot gallon jugs at 175 yards with my S&W 629. I know how to shoot. I know what's accurate and what isn't too. I find it hard to believe I have seen a dozen Standards that weren't accurate and it was all some cosmic accident. I'd love to have a Mk II. But unless someone gives me one I have no use for a Standard.
O.O

175 yards with a .44 Magnum pistol???

Gallon Jugs...?

Are you sure your name isn't "Gunkid...?"

Give it up already! Ruger Standards are very accurate .22's.

Maybe it's because you are 'limp-wristing' these fine handguns...

eldar
Old 11-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #435

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:

I just love this shet

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

dan01 Likes This 
Old 11-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #436

Hossfly if you're implying that shooting that distance with a handgun can't be done you might want to check out these two videos.

That guy is shooting 300 yards with a handgun with no rest except his own knees. He's hitting a target not much bigger than a gallon jug. In one of the earlier videos in the series he talks about the guns he shoots and one of them is a .44 magnum which is of course what my 629 is.

There are actually many videos showing people shooting revolvers long distances on YouTube. I don't claim to be able to do what some of those guys can do but then again I haven't spent a lot of time practicing that type of shooting so I have no idea just how hard it is. I do know that 175 yards with a .44 mag with a 8.5" barrel is not all that hard to do. Lots and lots of people can do that.

I'm not sure why you posted here. If you're just trying to get a flame going it isn't going to work. I have no intention of hashing this all out with some one who may or may not understand shooting very well. For all he knows my name might be Bob Munden. Look it up and you'll see why I think that's funny. Some people make mighty big assumptions about the talents of other people and I've seen them do it to some of the best shooters in the world on boards like this one. Ignorance abounds on the net. You'll see people who haven't been shooting more than a week act like they're instant experts and you'll see people who have set world records get bashed like they're newbies. Don't fall for what you see people say on these forums when they act like they're smart enough to tell others how wrong they are. A whole lot of those people doing that are kids in middle school that think what they see on tv is how life is. They'll learn eventually. But arguing with them is never a good thing to do. Kids know everything or at least they think they do. You really shouldn't encourage them to act up BTW. But for all I know you're one of them too. It would be a real disgrace to find that someone claiming to be a Nam vet is really a 12 year old with an attitude.

This is my last post in this thread. It should have been called "post your opinion and get flamed for it" instead of "What .22lr firearms should I avoid?"

Old 11-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #437

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

[QUOTE=Jeff56;1031910]Hossfly if you're implying that shooting that distance with a handgun can't be done you might want to check out these two videos.

No thanks-
Sides--THAT wasn't what i was implying

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

People Like This 
Old 11-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #438

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I bought a Ruger Standard 22 semi auto in 1962 and wore it out over many years of great service.....I can say no bad about the original Ruger Standards......I would still have it, but a burglar came and got it one day.

I shot and hunted pig and deer with both a S&W 629 44 mag 7.5" barrel and a Ruger Standard BlackHawk 44 mag 7.5" barrel........One would have to study the ballistics and practice a lot with 44 mag at ranges greater than 100m......The 44mag in various bullet weight and load has a rainbow bullet trajectory........One would have to shoot up to a 30* angle to hit targets 200 to 300m......I would guess that a trickster would have all the odds figured out in advance before doing these wild long shots......For a non professional to consistently hit gallon milk jugs at 170m is a tall tail or he didn't mention having shot a few hundred rounds to get some bullets into the target........Even a Ruger 10/44 rifle is iffy at those ranges.........My 22 cal rifles zeroed at 25 yards drop 4 o 5 inches at 100 yards with 16.5 inch barrels.

PS: I often used a 240g bullet and expected a drop of 7 to 8 inches at 100 yards with the pistol zeroed at 25 yards.

Last edited by dan01; 11-29-2012 at 06:01 PM.
eldarbeast Likes This 
Old 11-30-2012, 12:58 AM   #439

Liked 127 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 364

Quote:
Hossfly if you're implying that shooting that distance with a handgun can't be done you might want to check out these two videos.
That guy is shooting 300 yards with a handgun with no rest except his own knees. He's hitting a target not much bigger than a gallon jug. In one of the earlier videos in the series he talks about the guns he shoots and one of them is a .44 magnum which is of course what my 629 is.

There are actually many videos showing people shooting revolvers long distances on YouTube. I don't claim to be able to do what some of those guys can do but then again I haven't spent a lot of time practicing that type of shooting so I have no idea just how hard it is. I do know that 175 yards with a .44 mag with a 8.5" barrel is not all that hard to do. Lots and lots of people can do that.

I'm not sure why you posted here. If you're just trying to get a flame going it isn't going to work. I have no intention of hashing this all out with some one who may or may not understand shooting very well. For all he knows my name might be Bob Munden. Look it up and you'll see why I think that's funny. Some people make mighty big assumptions about the talents of other people and I've seen them do it to some of the best shooters in the world on boards like this one. Ignorance abounds on the net. You'll see people who haven't been shooting more than a week act like they're instant experts and you'll see people who have set world records get bashed like they're newbies. Don't fall for what you see people say on these forums when they act like they're smart enough to tell others how wrong they are. A whole lot of those people doing that are kids in middle school that think what they see on tv is how life is. They'll learn eventually. But arguing with them is never a good thing to do. Kids know everything or at least they think they do. You really shouldn't encourage them to act up BTW. But for all I know you're one of them too. It would be a real disgrace to find that someone claiming to be a Nam vet is really a 12 year old with an attitude.

This is my last post in this thread. It should have been called "post your opinion and get flamed for it" instead of "What .22lr firearms should I avoid?"

This fellow is shooting a .500 Linbaugh (sp?) at a paper target taped to a 4 ft x 4 ft sheet of steel hanging from a pole. He only cut the paper twice.

Now Elmer Keith wrote about shooting at 3ft x 4ft board target from across a chasm, estimating a distance of 900 yards with his .45 Long Colt. He also said it took many hours of practice to achieve hits on the board. He used the large caliber bullets because they made a large dust cloud when the hit the ground.

Note: the target was a 3 ft x 4 ft target. He was using Kentucky windage to artillery in the shots.

I find it hard to believe your claim of hitting gallon milk jugs with a .44 magnum at 175 yards. Of course if you are using 10 rounds to walk the bullets in, I guess you might be right...

I do object to your claim that Ruger Standards are as worthless as you claim. I have yet to witness a Ruger Standard that is a poor shooter.

eldar

PS I was born in 1955. Grandma, eggs.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:06 AM   #440

Quote:
PS: I often used a 240g bullet and expected a drop of 7 to 8 inches at 100 yards with the pistol zeroed at 25 yards.
Now if you know that why can't you figure that a 175 yard shot takes a 20 inch holdover. Oh that's just so hard to hold the gun up that high. I can barely lift it!

I just love being called a liar. Makes my day to know that I can do things people think are impossible. Makes me feel sorta - super. Watch the video. Oh wait. That guy is super human too! If that doesn't work for you then you'll really love this video.

Here's a 352 yard shot with a GLOCK!

The first 2 minutes of this video proves my point. He has my exact gun except he has a shorter barrel.

You people just don't know what the heck you're talking about to put it plainly. Drop by some day and we'll go shooting. I'm in southern Ohio. Just drop me a line and I'll be glad to show you how little you know.

Last edited by Jeff56; 11-30-2012 at 04:14 AM.