What .22lr firearms should I avoid? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > What .22lr firearms should I avoid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2008, 02:31 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Savage Mark Ii

Has Any one Shot The Savage Mark Ii Gy- Youth Model ?(bolt Action). I Am Thinking Of Buying My Son (he's 7) His First .22. I Like The 10-22 , But Don't Want A Semi-auto.....any Advice Would Be Nice....

Last edited by RANDYMOSS-BERG; 03-04-2008 at 02:34 AM.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:22 AM   #32

I bought the Savage cub last year for my kids. Has the peep sight on the rear. This has been a very good rifle and being a single shot it makes my kids concentrate on hitting what they are aiming at with the first shot. (Otherwise when they miss it the other ones turn and they hate that)!!!! When they get mad and say it isn't shooting right I take it away and pick out a p-dog at 50-60 yds away and knock it over. Then I hand it back and they don't say a word.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:44 PM   #33

I was given a NEF 9 shot revolver.and the trigger cut my finger. You couldn't hit ther ground with this piece of crap. I sold it for 100 dollars. Ha Ha.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:43 PM   #34

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANDYMOSS-BERG View Post
Has Any one Shot The Savage Mark Ii Gy- Youth Model ?(bolt Action). I Am Thinking Of Buying My Son (he's 7) His First .22. I Like The 10-22 , But Don't Want A Semi-auto.....any Advice Would Be Nice....
If it was my son his first gun would be a single shot 22 (learn to hit what you aim for the first time)

The only times in this nations history that anything great happened it was because normal men put aside their petty differences and fight for a common cause.

Chester

"The great object is that every man be armed . . . Everyone who is able may have a gun." (Patrick Henry, in the Virginia Convention on the ratification of the Constitution.)

Old 03-10-2008, 11:50 AM   #35

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Marlin model 60. Barrel to frame fit WILL work loose. Aluminum frame/pressed in barrel. Soft wood stocks ding easily.
Really? I've had mine since I won it off of my grandfather when I was 8 and have had no trouble what so ever. It is my favorite plinking rifle.

EDIT: Ha, just read your post, glockfire.

Last edited by fapprez; 03-10-2008 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Last tidbit

Old 03-17-2008, 06:38 AM   #36

Default Three

1--Any of the AR-7 survival rifles-- the ones that disassemble and can be stored in the stock. I like the idea, but I've seen and fired three of them, and two were unreliable with many malfunctions. They didn't feel good either, in my hands. They weren't fun to plink with, and weren't as accurate as most other .22 rifles.

2-- Phoenix Arms Rangemaster-- I had one for 6 months and sold it for a slight loss. It was not reliable, and it had weird and un-natural safety features. I bought it because it felt good in my hand and it was light. And it turned out to be an accurate little pistol that would shoot tight groups near the point-of-aim on the sights. But it jammed a lot.

3-- NAA .22 and .22 magnum mini-revolvers with the tiny little grips and the 1" or 1.5" barrels. They're hard to hit anything with, and the recoil (muzzle flip) is severe. But I love their larger versions, such as the "Black Widow," and other models that have bigger grips and longer barrels (3" is so much better than 1.25 inches!) and good sights.

P.S. Longer barrels = higher velocity bullets. It's a significant difference between an inch and three inches.

Gun control isn't about guns. It's about CONTROL.

Last edited by gunsmokeer; 03-17-2008 at 06:40 AM. Reason: p.s.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:02 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Raven, Jennings, Bryco...

I don't have any of these, but the consensus is they're junk. Saturday night specials. I don't believe I would like to be shot by any of them though....
the Raven is cheap and heavy for its size but accurate: the barrel and receiver are one unit, much like the Ruger .22 which helps to make it accurate.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:18 PM   #38

Default Two

Those AR-7 survival rifles, the ones where the barrel and action can be stored in the huge hollow plastic stock, are lousy. Inaccurate and unreliable, in my experience.

The Phoenix Arms .22 semi-auto pistol, which looks good and fits my hand well, and only sells for $125 brand new, is not reliable. And it has some really weird controls and safety features that have never been seen on any other handgun (and I hope they are never used again on any future guns, either).
(P.S. The Phoenix Arms Rangemaster is accurate. It's just not reliable.)

Gun control isn't about guns. It's about CONTROL.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:26 PM   #39

Default Walther P22 POS

The P22 has got to be one of the worst firearms ever built, IMHO. I have one but I find the plastic/zinc combination a recipe for FAILURE! I'm selling mine and sticking with my STEEL High Standards and Rugers.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:02 PM   #40

My first handgun was a Heritage arms .22 mag. It was fairly decent for a beginner's handgun. I also still have my first rifle, it was a chipmunk .22 out of Oregon. I have fired thousands of rounds through it and it is still holding up almost 20 years later.