What .22lr firearms should I avoid? - Page 38
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > What .22lr firearms should I avoid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #371
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Avoid the Remington 597. I used to have one, broke several times. Finally, the last time it broke I gave up and got a Ruger 10/22 Carbine. Best .22lr rifle I've ever had.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #372

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My 22A had to get a Repair made and it was not even registered in my name. The sent my a prepaid FedEx slip I packed it up dropped off in a FedEx drop box they updated me throughout and sent it back no questions asked.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by om3gadagg3r View Post
From what I read, their warranty applies to the original purchaser of the firearm and I bought it used. Also they would have to replace the frame, in which case they might as well give me a new pistol.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #373

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Im 50 yr.s old and my 1st rifle was a 10/22 circa 1973 = Ive probably ran well over 10,000 rnd.s through it and it still shoots as well as when new. Ive shot every type of ammo, from CHEAP to Lapua match and it Rarely if ever refuses to cycle. Alot of aftermarket mags are **** and that goes for every firearm made = they cause most of the problems with semi-autos. As far as .22's to avoid = stay away from cheaply made and priced weapons of any caliber because you'll be disapointed. I will not own a weapon that I cant count on everytime or looks like it was made by air-soft (p22) = its just common sense to go with something thats proven itself over time and is well made. Sadly all weapons today are slapped together/mass produced by people/companies that should not be in the business at all. If you want a good .22 pistol then buy a Buckmark or Ruger Mark II that was made several years back. I compete in NRA .22 Bullseye and I use a High Standard manufactured in 1967 (Im shooting at master level consistently) I just had to reply to the slam on 10's = best .22 rifle you'll ever buy for $200 period.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #374

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassMonkey View Post
That Walther P22 is crap IMHO. I tested a brand new example at the range (I was the first one to rent it), and it had more FTF than any other gun I have ever shot.
Yeah I've watched many videos about this gun today, it's very picky about ammo. I saw one video this guy couldn't get it to take any ammo at all and he had to modify the hammer to get it to work with any ammo. I don't know anything about Walther so is Walther a bad brand or is this just a bad gun they made?

Old 09-23-2012, 02:16 AM   #375

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I love my Ruger 10/22, especially with the new Ruger BX-25 25 rd. magazines, which are way better than any of he aftermarket ones.
I just today bought a Savage Arms Mark IIF .22 LR bolt gun at Wally World for $167 & change. Haven't shot it yet.

The worst .22 I've ever owned? Intratec TEC-22. Looked "sorta cool" functioned poorly. Some of that was magazine related. Uses 10/22 style mags. haven't tried the new Ruger mags with it yet. (Haven't attempted to shoot it in years).

Old 09-24-2012, 06:37 AM   #376

Liked 62 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Listening to the horror stories about some of these guns makes my hair stand on it's little gray ends! Like many, I was taught to shoot down on the farm, by my Grandfather. The Springfield 87A he taught me with is now mine and undergoing a restoration. I was the terror of the rabbit population of north-central Missouri with that thing full of .22 shorts and .22 longs decimated the groundhog ranks. No serial numbers on it for some reason, but it always did what I asked of it. These days I have a Charter .22 for training my grandkids and a Puma 1873 SAA with a seven-and-a-half inch barrel because I wanted a cowboy gun that I could afford to shoot! It also has a .22 magnum cylinder if I feel mean someday. I had a Winchester 61 that was a sweet piece of steel but sold it to get a Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22 to feed my AR fixation (again, cheap to shoot a bunch!). I really haven't had any lemons but I haven't had any .22 autopistols either! But I'm getting a couple for my grandkids for Christmas this year (a 1911 in .22LR for the boy and a Whitney Wolverine for the girl) so that may change; I'll keep you informed.

"History teaches that war begins when nations believe that the price of aggression is cheap." - Ronald Reagan

Old 09-24-2012, 03:22 PM   #377

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default crickett

Try these lil .22lr for the youngins, safe accurate and will shoot just about anything. http://www.crickett.com/

Old 09-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #378

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Walther Used to be a great company just like Sig Used to be a great company/when they were manufactured in Germany. Thats what I mean by buying something from the past is almost always going to be a much better product. Gun shows and pawn shops are good for this if you know what to look for. Gun stores are not your only option,but if you see what you want and can agree on a price they usually have lpenty of used weapons. Weapons are just like everything else these days, the quality is not what it used to be. IMHO if your looking for a pistol in .22 buy a Browning Buckmark or a Ruger Mark 2 or 3 , if its a rifle 10/22 if you want semi-auto or a CZ if you want better accuracy in a bolt action.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:47 PM   #379

Liked 480 Times on 329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotex
Walther Used to be a great company just like Sig Used to be a great company/when they were manufactured in Germany. Thats what I mean by buying something from the past is almost always going to be a much better product. Gun shows and pawn shops are good for this if you know what to look for. Gun stores are not your only option,but if you see what you want and can agree on a price they usually have lpenty of used weapons. Weapons are just like everything else these days, the quality is not what it used to be. IMHO if your looking for a pistol in .22 buy a Browning Buckmark or a Ruger Mark 2 or 3 , if its a rifle 10/22 if you want semi-auto or a CZ if you want better accuracy in a bolt action.
Are you saying usa made sigs are bad?
Old 09-26-2012, 12:04 AM   #380

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotex
Hang on there,you can knock HK and Walther all you want but Sig,thats a bold statement Leroy!

Combat Corespondent