Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > What .22lr firearms should I avoid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #341
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I have had decent luck with the Walther p22 but I think the new Ruger 22 has made it obsolete. Simpler,smoother firearm with a more durable frame (polymer vs Zinc) at the same price point and size.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:10 AM   #342

Liked 123 Times on 75 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona
I have had decent luck with the Walther p22 but I think the new Ruger 22 has made it obsolete. Simpler,smoother firearm with a more durable frame (polymer vs Zinc) at the same price point and size.
Ditto.....

Old 08-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #343

Liked 623 Times on 406 Posts
Likes Given: 1275

If you ever see a used Savage Westpoint 487t semi on a rack RUN AWAY!!
I bought one of these rifles new back in the mid 70s from a true value hardware store turned out it was a very inaccurate jam o matic!!

Old 08-27-2012, 04:44 PM   #344

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I has a Glenfield semi 22 that was a jam-o-matic

Old 09-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #345

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I have never shot a .22 I didnt like. I LOVE my 10's for plinking or squirrel hunting, but My CZ 455 with some really good glass is what I compete with (extreme rimfire = 300 meters and less) IMHO you really do get what you pay for concerning firearms so....................... (I tricked out a 10/22 with bull-barrel , $50 Simmons and cheap wally world weaver rings and it is a nail driver at 100 on sandbags. Its GREAT for what I have in it just never carry it in the woods because of the weight = my advice Sir, is never bottom fish for guns because you Will be disapointed.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:33 AM   #346

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

With only one exception I have never owned a .22 I could count on without at least some work. I have owned several pocket pistols in .22LR. Daily carry in a back pocket for 4 or 5 years while a peace officer. Junk all of them. I was very happy when Colt finally brought out a small 380 again (and in stainless too). Both my Beretta 22 and my Jennings were equally prone to feed failures. Later on as knowledge expanded I learned almost all small pistols are problem prone. My Bauer .25 misfed just as often as my friends old Baby Browning and our Sgt.s Colt 08 .25. Yes, we heard the myth about the type of ammo being used. We went through boxes of different brands, mixed and matched ad infinitum in each other's guns at the range. What we found out was while a particular box or lot may perform well in slow fire, (as in bang bang bang), in rapid fire (i.e., bangbangbangbang) misfeeds would always happen. Over the decades I saw lots of those small guns being fired. I never saw a single one (in either .22 or .25) that could do an entire clip in rapid fire without a jam.

One lesson from the Jennings .22. It is striker fired (as are many pocket pistols. The grips are fragile. The left grip holds the safety bar in place. When the grip cracks the now loose bar allows a tiny ball bearing (and sometimes the spring behind that) to escape. The safety bar is now free to roam. It likes to roam to OFF. Sometimes the now released bar falls off the gun. If it is in your pocket when that happens you now have two items in your pocket. A cocked pistol and a metal bar that may brush the trigger. If the bar stays with the gun, you may not notice the situational change before the UD happens. A second issue with all tiny guns. Because the parts are small, the hammer or sear pieces are also small. So are the notches holding them in the unfired position. I sold my Bauer .25 to another PO and three days later he dropped it. Bang. No one hurt, lesson learned once he changed his pants.

I know, keep the gun's chamber empty and no problem. Trouble is you are going in harms way and this is your second gun, which is probably not going to be touched until after the situation is already really, really, bad. You won't have time to chamber a round. It either instantly shoots, or there was no point in bringing it. I remember more than once on cold wet nights being really casual talking with an armed suspect 4 feet in front of me. My right hand no where near the visually holstered sidearm. Offer him a cigarette, put the cig pack in my reefer coat pocket and he never realized a loaded pistol was now pointed at him while my partner moved to the side. Talked down, nothing happened, but this would not have been doable with a gun of any caliber with an empty chamber.

Second issue with the Jennings. That black 'long lasting' Teflon coat over the cheap pot metal? It flakes off. My Jennings .22 is bare pot metal on the slide, only very tiny flecks of Teflon coat left.

I bought a used Ruger Mk I Standard as a trail gun. I love it. Pappappappap. No misfires, no failures to feed. Mixed ammo types. Only thing to hate about it is that terrible field strip. More than once my thumbnail has broken on that little lever on the grip. Once I tried using a car key under the lever and the key started to bend. Got a screwdriver instead. That did it. Tight fit there.

Remington Nylon 66 MB. My first rifle. Bought it in NYC NIB as my 18th birthday present to myself. Firearms Control Board, all that nonsense. Problem was in NYC there were few legal outdoor ranges. Wasn't going to trudge down to 20W20 St with it to shoot it indoors. So it was a year before I finally found a legal outdoor range then got a car so I could go there. Warranty now expired. Every 4th shot was a misfire, then every 3rd shot until finally only every 3rd shot would fire. Very light firing pin strikes. I was very sad. Years later they came out with something called a Dremel and I finally tackled the problem. The firing pin of the Nylon 66 is actually a stamped bar pinned in place in the bolt through a slot. When the hammer hit the firing bar it would go forward to the edge of the slot, then stop. Originally it was probably just barely long enough. Problem was being an 18 year old not able to actually shoot it, I had dry fired it a lot which peened down the edge of the firing bar just enough for a misfire to occur. Solution? Deepen the slot by just a few hairs, then put it back together. I still have that rifle.

Like the used Ruger .22 MK I, with the 66, it is papapapapapapapap, 15 shots as fast as you can pull the trigger. Mixed ammo is no problem for it. Only thing is at 25 yards there is a 5 inch group. Adding a scope changes nothing but the rifle balance. Still a 5 inch group at 25 yards. The muzzle crown looks good. The only thought I have is possibly the barrel seat moves as the gun is being fired? The vibration, like a whipping firehose, then throws the bullets more or less randomly. Where a squirrel or a running groundhog is concerned, I am better off firing a shotgun than I am with that. Haven't touched it (besides annual dusting off) in over a decade.

Why do I keep it? It is now awsomely reliable with any ammo I have mixed in it (even handles a short as a last shot w/no stutter). Given a choice between tack driving accuracy but sometimes misfires without warning, or, accurate at close range and will always fire, I vote for the second. Also sentimental value. First gun I lawfully owned and all that.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #347

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Raven, Jennings, Bryco...

I don't have any of these, but the consensus is they're junk. Saturday night specials. I don't believe I would like to be shot by any of them though....
I have a JA-22 that has fired 10's of thousands of rounds. It's as accurate as any pistol with a 2" barrel including my 1970 something Charter 357 mag.

I have a 35 year old Marlin 60 that has fired over 100,000 rounds. It still shoots well today. Any capable marksman can hit a spent 12 ga shell at 50 yards with it. Rifles are not hammers. You can't beat things with them and expect them not get a ding here and there. The Model 60 has a beech stock. Some very expensive rifles have a beech stock. The only fault of the Model 60 is it's not the easiest rifle to mount a scope on. Given that most shots with a 22 are under 100 yards no scope should not be an issue.

I have found very few 22 rifles or pistols that were bad. Only one lever action 22 that shot like the barrel was bent. I kept it for less than a week. 22 rimfire ammo is the Achilles heel of all 22s. That is why a lot of people carry a .25 for deep concealment.

Last edited by Old_Crow; 09-05-2012 at 12:31 PM.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #348

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default p22 loves cci minimags or blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassMonkey View Post
That Walther P22 is crap IMHO. I tested a brand new example at the range (I was the first one to rent it), and it had more FTF than any other gun I have ever shot.
p22 loves cci minimags or blazer

Old 09-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #349

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Walther P22 is not my glock 17 but it a great trainer, target, plinker for some ccdw students. We have had zero gun malfunctions with CCI minimags but other ammo does not work well in the P22. Consider that Walther is made in German, they have a good reputation and S&W will make good on any problems after purchase. YYMV

Old 09-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #350

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarawa1943 View Post
Walther P22 is not my glock 17 but it a great trainer, target, plinker for some ccdw students. We have had zero gun malfunctions with CCI minimags but other ammo does not work well in the P22. Consider that Walther is made in German, they have a good reputation and S&W will make good on any problems after purchase. YYMV
Some Trivia:

Walthers aren't made in Germany... They're made by Manuhrin, (SP?) in france, and finished in Germany...

Bill