Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > What .22lr firearms should I avoid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #321
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
I think Marlin60's are one of the best rifles ever made for the American public to afford and enjoy. I've owned several, still do. Keep 'em decently cleaned and shoot a clean ammo, not any cheap box of 500 rds for 17.99 either. I mean good ole mini mag CCI works great. Any .22 rifle rimfire will jam after 20-30 rds if shooting dirty burning ammo. If it don't ur lucky. Best of luck getting ur gun. Marlin, Ruger, Henry, you can't mess up too bad buying any of those. At least a bad one of those brands won't cost an arm an leg to begin with so not great loss
So those boxes of Federal 550 rounds Value boxes of ammo won't work in a Marlin Model 60 ?

Old 06-29-2012, 01:16 PM   #322

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Default Marlin 60's

All ammo that is correct will function, more or less. cheaper ammo seems to foul up in the receiver more, causing the extractor not to be able and get a good grip on the rim to pull it out of the chamber. I shoot those big boxes of 550's, just not anything semi auto.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #323

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've had a Walther P-22 since they were first available in my area. To date, I've probably fired 3000+ rounds through it, both suppressed and un-suppressed. After the first 3 50-round boxes, no problems, even with the suppressor on. I've used everything from cheap promotional ammo up to high $ match ammo, including sub-sonic 'match' rounds. Either I've got an unusually good piece or I've just been lucky. Put it this way, I feel so confident in this weapon that I occasionally carry it as a back up for my off-duty weapon(and, yes, I also carry a spare magazine for both). Guess my point is: you can have a lemon with ANY weapon-I've never had a 'bad' .22 but I've had some centerfires that needed handloading to be accurate. Trial and error, guys, trial and error!

Old 07-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #324

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassMonkey View Post
That Walther P22 is crap IMHO. I tested a brand new example at the range (I was the first one to rent it), and it had more FTF than any other gun I have ever shot.
Most pistols, especially .22s, need a few hundred rounds to get broke in. Even the centerfires often have break in instructions. Tb

Hunters & Anglers: The first environmentalists are still the best!

Old 07-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #325

Liked 55 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rig View Post
I must agree with the above opinion of the Walther. I have the misfortune to have one and it is crap. If it is perfectly clean it might cycle OK. But after about 20 rounds you have a fifty fifty chance of a misfeed or no feed.
I was going to buy a Walther or a Sig Mosquito figuring both Walther and Sig are well respected brands but was told the exact same thing by several people about both of them. Most people I talked to told me they jam more than they shoot.

I have a S&W .22 revolver, a Buckmark and my shooting buddy has a 10/22 Charger. I love all three of those. The Charger is just a fun gun to shoot.

Last edited by KeysKelly; 07-16-2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Type-o (Spelling)

Old 07-18-2012, 03:08 AM   #326

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhuntguy View Post
not necessarily. Sometimes you get more than you paid for. Years ago i had a remington bolt action .22 rifle i think it was a 722? But not sure, it was 15 or so years ago, with a decent scope, paid $20.00 for it at the pawn shop because it had a cracked stock.
With cci "mini mag" ammo, i was getting 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards - with the cracked stock.
the remington model 722 is one of the older center fire remington rifles. Its the predicessor of the model 700. If you would like more info on early remington rimfire rifles drop me a line and i will be glad to research it for you.

terrybreckenridge@yahoo.com

please use remington 22 as the subject

Old 07-30-2012, 10:53 PM   #327

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Only .22 ive had any problems with was a Remington Fieldmaster given to me on my 12th birthday. The screw in forearm that attaches to the slide rail stripped the wood out several times, the grooves on the top of the reciever that some would call a scope mount have to be one of the poorest excuses of a "scope mount" ive ever seen, and theres a tiny flat piece of metal inside the action ive had to replace twice and the new piece wont stay in place. But it has also been one of the best 22s ive ever had, its accurate, high quality wood stock and finish. I couldnt begin to put a number on the rounds fired thru it. My old man couldnt hide his 22 ammo well enough from me. Bajillions!

Badshot

Old 07-31-2012, 08:08 PM   #328

Liked 2417 Times on 1377 Posts
Likes Given: 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by galapogos View Post
So those boxes of Federal 550 rounds Value boxes of ammo won't work in a Marlin Model 60 ?
A couple months ago, I cleaned about a pound of dirt out of my

Marlin 60. It's a great shooting gun, if you don't allow it to get

too dirty.
You have to clean more than the barrel. You need to

drop the stock off, and pull the rear receiver mounting pin.

Then the trigger assembly comes off, and you can easily pull the

bolt and the rest of the internals.

As long as it's not allowed to get extremely dirty, my 60

eats any brick of bulk ammo you feed it, Federal included.

Many .22 shooters don't realize that built up dirt causes

sticky, jam-prone firearms.

Fortunately, you can google field-strip techniques and

blown-up-disassembly diagrams for most modern guns.

Strip it, clean it with mineral spirits or brush solvent, and

re-assemble it with some powdered graphite.

It'll work wonders...

Last edited by therewolf; 07-31-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #329

Sig Mosquito....

I actually just bought the thing, cleaned it up really nice to remove manufacturing grease (it didn't have any, really). Went to go to the range to shoot it with my girlfriend. It was kinda cool because I could teach her what to do in every failure situation, because it had ALL OF THEM. Failure to Feed, Failure to Fire, Failure to Eject (stovepipe), Failure to Extract (stuck casing), Double Feed, you name it, it had it and more than once. Granted, I was using Winchester and Remington bulk pack ammo, but that is still unacceptable to have that rate of failure. Accuracy was also marginal. I think it may be due to a poorly fitted extractor since it doesn't "grab" the rim of the shell against the breech face, but more snags the rim on the way back. I am not the only one with this problem, do some Google time!

Ruger Single Six in .22? Flawless (with the same ammo that day)! It's also a mid-priced gun, but if you want a gun to go BANG every time without fail, get a decent revolver.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #330

Liked 480 Times on 329 Posts

The sig needs mini mag. Our woeks fine with it.