What .22lr firearms should I avoid? - Page 31
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > What .22lr firearms should I avoid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #301
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac131911 View Post
Even the low cost gun manufacturers turn out a decent product. No a RG pistol is no where near the quality of a Ruger or Colt they still function fine. I paid $30 for mine, if I lose it in the river im not out a lot if money.
what does RG mean? I'm not familiar with that acronym/manufacturer.

so far, from what i've been able to read is that one should truly inspect any used firearm whether the company is still in business or from a company that is now gone by the way side.

but still no advice about any one particular manufacturer to be hesitant about or avoid? hm.....

Old 06-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #302

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I came across it in a pawn shop http://www.gun-parts.com/rohm/

Old 06-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #303

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by big shrek View Post
Actually, it drives people at the range NUTS that I can take an $85 pawn shop Marlin 25MN
and win Black Death challenges with it over their $1500+ custom 1022's & Krico's

$10 worth of acraglass and a few cents of polishing compound on the bolt & trigger to smooth 'em...all I needed to make Marlin Converts at ERML

Its why the Marlin X-7 series of rifles, while made inexpensively, due to their button-rifled barrels, adjustable Pro-fire triggers
& factory pillar-bedded stocks, shoot like Much More Expensive rifles...

Now the final fit & finish comes from DIY'ing it...but for us Shade-tree Mechanic types...we like doing that final custom tweaking ourselves
and saving $500+ while we're at it
Kind of like the folks that take a perfectly capable 2010 Mustang and slapping in a Speed Chip & a K&N Cold Air Intake...
we want MORE than the MFR offers...even though what they offer is pretty darn good to begin with...
tweaking 'em up for 10-15% more power just makes the ownership more personal & enjoyable!
That's what I like about the Marlin 60 I bought. Fit was good and finish on the barrel and mag tube was fine as well. The receiver being painted and the birch stock with Marlin's Mar-shield finish wasn't as nice as hand-rubbed, cut checkered Walnut and blued steel, but it keeps the price down and that was Marlin's goal. But it was accurate, from when it was first shot till now it can hold a 1" group at 100 yards if I'm shooting from a good solid rest or table and light to no wind. At less than $150 you can't ask for a more accurate rifle.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:42 AM   #304

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlyjoe_99 View Post
what does RG mean? I'm not familiar with that acronym/manufacturer.

so far, from what i've been able to read is that one should truly inspect any used firearm whether the company is still in business or from a company that is now gone by the way side.

but still no advice about any one particular manufacturer to be hesitant about or avoid? hm.....
RG is made by or stands for Rohm, but I've know them as Rohm. They're a German company and I think they sold the weapons division to Umarex and went back to just making chucking tools. Another little factoid, John Hinckley Jr. used a Rohm RG14 when he tried to assassinate Reagan.

I have one of their RG10's, it's a short barreled 22-short revolver that misfires 3-5 times out of every six round cylinder. It's been pieced together from about three know weapons and a few parts bought online. The frame is soft pot metal, the grips are plastic, just a very inexpensive handgun. I blame the misfires on some adjustments that need to be made and probably the Remington ammo I tried to use, it was pretty old.

I don't know what they sold for when new, but I can't imagine paying more than about $12.37 for the one I have in its current condition. The one linked below is in much better shape and it sold for $34 six years ago, it's identical to mine.

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/10946980/revolvers-for-sale/rohm-model-rg10-.22short-revolver-.as-is

Old 06-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightExpress View Post
Your price comparison is interesting. I use Bud's Gun Shop to compare prices on rifles, their prices are usually within 5-15% of my local Wal-Mart depending on model and which one might be running something on sale.
I am referring to the base model 10/22. There is a gun shop in my area selling them new for $180. The Henry Survival Rifle is in walmart for something around $250. Use google shopping to price guns, because there's more of a selection.

And in reply to a previous post, I did try many ammo brands. The ammo brand wasn't related. After research on the internet, I found that a lot of people have the same problem. It's not an isolated issue. Some people had luck modifying the feed ramp. That's not a good idea, as I found out. Even if the rounds feed right they can have a little play in the chamber. I bought new barrels with factory feed ramps and left them alone.

With all factory parts, it's still a piece. If you think there's anyone who can't assemble a henry takedown rifle, there's something wrong with that picture. It's the simplest rifle I've ever seen. A savage break-open breach over/under has more parts. The henry is a joke and I'll never come off of it. I've had at least 30 semi-auto rifles. I've disassembled all of them. What's the chance that I did anything wrong with the simplest of them all? Multiple times? And not just me, a lot of people. Why didn't I have these troubles with the 10/22? It feeds and fires almost every time.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #306

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

The pawn shop owner said he gave the guy that sold it to him 5 dollars for the rg I bought. I have since then seen 2 rg .38s that were in good condition for 100 dollars.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #307

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac131911 View Post
The pawn shop owner said he gave the guy that sold it to him 5 dollars for the rg I bought. I have since then seen 2 rg .38s that were in good condition for 100 dollars.
I've heard the Rohm centerfire revolvers were actually good serviceable weapons, but I haven't owned one. I've noticed a few in some local pawn shops and they looked decent enough and the prices were not too bad.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:54 AM   #308

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

The only thing I didn't like about the .38a is to dump the cylinder you have to unscrew the rod under the barrel and fully remove it.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:09 AM   #309

Liked 345 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlyjoe_99 View Post

actually myself & a couple others have mentioned Jennings & Jimenez as brands to avoid. you will find people saying good things about them, some with almost an addicts sense of denial about their quality: "it's a great gun, i don't know why all these thousands of people for years have been saying bad things about them. sure i had to put a new firing pin in it, & the finish flakes off, & the extractor broke, & the trigger pull is really heavy, & it jams if i use anything but CCI, & the bullets keyhole at 10 yards, & sometimes it will accidentily go full auto, but otherwise it's a great gun!"

the quality control was, in jennings' case, & is, in Jimenez's case, so hit or miss, you don't know if you've got a decent one or not until you fire it. it's best not to take the chance, no matter how tempting the price can be

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch

MidnightExpress Likes This 
Old 06-09-2012, 05:35 AM   #310

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

What do you expect from a gun for 100 dollars new and out the for there probably not 50 dollars worth of parts and labor I'm them.