What .22lr firearms should I avoid? - Page 28
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > What .22lr firearms should I avoid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 12:40 AM   #271
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennhead View Post

<snip>

Rifles:

<snip>

Marlin 39A lever action. Worked fine for the most part, but the magazine wouldn't stay in place. While shooting, it would release and slide out the front of the tube. It never fell out, but you knew not to hang it out over a precipice or water while shooting, or shoot at any angle less than level.
I have five of them and not one has exhibited this irritating defect.

Did you make sure the pins were engaging the slots/detents which kept the magazine tube in place?

Was your rifle old, or left loaded for long periods, thus weakening the spring inside of the magazine tube?

Something was definetly wrong and should have been easily remedyed.

Bill

Old 05-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #272

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
I have five of them and not one has exhibited this irritating defect.

Did you make sure the pins were engaging the slots/detents which kept the magazine tube in place?

Was your rifle old, or left loaded for long periods, thus weakening the spring inside of the magazine tube?

Something was definetly wrong and should have been easily remedyed.

Bill
I agree, something was definitely wrong. I've had several .22 rifles with tube magazines, and not one other than the Marlin exhibited such a trait. My Remingtons always did fine.

The Marlin was brand new, purchased from Kmart in the early 1980's. I'm guessing the spring was weak and couldn't hold proper tension against the retainer. There wasn't much I could with it, however I wished I'd contacted Marlin about what they could provide. Instead I traded it off, which was stupid. I can't believe the price on them now!

I had always wished I got the carbine model. Maybe I need to get a Henry

Old 05-28-2012, 10:22 PM   #273

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
I agree, something was definitely wrong. I've had several .22 rifles with tube magazines, and not one other than the Marlin exhibited such a trait. My Remingtons always did fine.

The Marlin was brand new, purchased from Kmart in the early 1980's. I'm guessing the spring was weak and couldn't hold proper tension against the retainer. There wasn't much I could with it, however I wished I'd contacted Marlin about what they could provide. Instead I traded it off, which was stupid. I can't believe the price on them now!

I had always wished I got the carbine model. Maybe I need to get a Henry
The Henry is such a cheaply made firearm, that I wouldn't insult the rest of my .22's by allowing one of them in my house... That is a serious comment...

Bill
Old 05-29-2012, 03:01 AM   #274

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
The Henry is such a cheaply made firearm, that I wouldn't insult the rest of my .22's by allowing one of them in my house... That is a serious comment...

Bill
I've never even fired one. I had noticed the die cast (at least I think it's die cast) receiver which I didn't particularly care for. I've never heard anything negative about them, other than your comment.

Last edited by pennhead; 05-29-2012 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Uh...

Old 05-29-2012, 04:53 AM   #275

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
I've never even fired one. I had noticed the die cast (at least I think it's die cast) receiver which I didn't particularly care for. I've never heard anything negative about them, other than your comment.
Disassemble one and look inside of it, cheaply made, cast parts. With the blue model, enjoy the painted receiver...

Bill

Old 05-29-2012, 05:51 AM   #276

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY

I don't think i'll ever tire of hearing the term "tactical 22"
I have a smith and Wesson m&p 15-22 I would sell you with two mags and a water proof hardcase with a red dot and iron sites and a bore snake... For $565 yes it's used and it hates shooting Remington ammo... Shoots everything else though very good condition never leaves my side... I clean it every time I take it out...

Old 05-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #277

Likes Given: 1

New to the forum so "Hello" i own and operate a Firearms training business and have 4 of the Walther P-22 handguns and as long as I use the CCI brand ammo I have no problems with jamming. One of the weapons has over 7000 rounds throught it and another has almost 5000 the others around 1000 or more and all are consistant with great service. 2 of them have the extended barrels. The only problem I have had is the screw on the right side of the frame under the slide will loosen up sometimes and needs tightning. All the Walthers hate Remington ammo.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #278

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 10

The only 22's ive experienced that sucked were ones that were neglected or misused. the worst was my buddies marlin Lever action. the stupid thing wouldn't feed well, the action would bind etc... all around a PITA when in the woods. One winter i finally got him to take it apart while i was with him to see what the problem was. ready?

a group of small roaches had nested in side the action and their remains were clogging the tube and the gears and had pushed parts out of alignment.

we cleaned, deburred and oiled each piece of the action one at a time and them re-assembled it. it was nice and smooth as butter from then on. go figure. If it matters we were mechanics in the army so he should have known better.

As for the Charter AR7. no one has mentioned that Henry now produces the AR7 and seems to have addresses the majority of the issues detaield here. the first few flavors are well known for issues. However, while i have a Henry model, i know that i can only hit a minute of bunny or squirrel at the top of a tree, say under 30 yrds. IMHO, that should feed myself and my group in an emergency but leave me severly lacking in a range shoot.

Again, Just MHO,

Curlyjoe

Old 05-31-2012, 03:56 AM   #279

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Serious or not, it reads like the irrational rantings of someone who expects too much from reasonably priced rimfire rifles.

Quote:
Marlin 39A lever action. Worked fine for the most part, but the magazine wouldn't stay in place. While shooting, it would release and slide out the front of the tube. It never fell out, but you knew not to hang it out over a precipice or water while shooting, or shoot at any angle less than level.
It would most likely have been a simple fix for anyone familiar with Marlins or tube mag rifles in general.

Sometimes the outer mag tube can get flared on the end, this will let the pin in the inner magazine tube to slip under the J-hook/slot in the outer tube and allow the inner tube to come out. Usually takes just a slight crimp to reshape the outer tube to fix this.

The new tube mag Marlin rifles have a long pin that engages in two slots in the outer tube. The older rifles only engaged on one side and just had one J-hook/slot. Sometimes these single sided pins would wear or be driven in too deep causing the inner tube to slip out as well. A new or longer pin would fix this.

The early rifles also relied on the tension from the magazine spring to keep the inner tube locked in place. This would allow the inner tube to pop out now and then from the vibrations of shooting, but nothing like the frequency you're describing. The new rifles now use a spring and collar under a cap to keep tension on the inner magazine tube.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:04 PM   #280

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightExpress View Post
Serious or not, it reads like the irrational rantings of someone who expects too much from reasonably priced rimfire rifles.

It would most likely have been a simple fix for anyone familiar with Marlins or tube mag rifles in general.

Sometimes the outer mag tube can get flared on the end, this will let the pin in the inner magazine tube to slip under the J-hook/slot in the outer tube and allow the inner tube to come out. Usually takes just a slight crimp to reshape the outer tube to fix this.

The new tube mag Marlin rifles have a long pin that engages in two slots in the outer tube. The older rifles only engaged on one side and just had one J-hook/slot. Sometimes these single sided pins would wear or be driven in too deep causing the inner tube to slip out as well. A new or longer pin would fix this.

The early rifles also relied on the tension from the magazine spring to keep the inner tube locked in place. This would allow the inner tube to pop out now and then from the vibrations of shooting, but nothing like the frequency you're describing. The new rifles now use a spring and collar under a cap to keep tension on the inner magazine tube.
that is a nice tidbit of information... Thanks