What .22lr firearms should I avoid? - Page 23
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > What .22lr firearms should I avoid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #221
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg
Seems to me that while quite accurate, pretty much any semi 22 made by Remington has been a piece of crap. I had the viper and it was very accurate but was a bad jammer, my buddy had the 552 speedmaster, it was also a piece of crap. There was the Remington model 66 also known as the Nylon 66 which I have no experience with but have heard some not so good things, then there's the 597 which came out after the Viper was discontinued, I haven't owned one of these but at the time they came out my local gunshop refused to carry them due to jamming issues. So though it pains me to say it because I am a big Remington fan, their 22s are crap. I bought a ruger 10/22, cant go wrong with a design that has been around for so long, the only failure it has experienced was due to a cheapo plastic 30rd clip i picked up to try, pos.
552 and nylons are great guns....they are like m 60 marlins in the fact that they need cleaned inside hardcore every so often

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 03-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #222

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
552 and nylons are great guns....they are like m 60 marlins in the fact that they need cleaned inside hardcore every so often

the 522 I'm refering to was unreliable at best, shot great as far as hitting your target but you never knew if you were gonna have a second shot, even after good cleanings and 2 trips to a gunsmith it still didn't function reliably, he ended up trading it in on a 10/22. I don't have experience with marlins. My dad has a Browning BAR22, that is a nice rifle

Old 03-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #223

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg

the 522 I'm refering to was unreliable at best, shot great as far as hitting your target but you never knew if you were gonna have a second shot, even after good cleanings and 2 trips to a gunsmith it still didn't function reliably, he ended up trading it in on a 10/22. I don't have experience with marlins. My dad has a Browning BAR22, that is a nice rifle
Then you either had a smith that didnt know squat or a rifle that was an oddity bc it was not quite right.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:16 AM   #224

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

I dont know I love the marlin 60 family. People dont clean or maintain them. they treat them like a synthetic stock and beat em to all hell. Then when they fail they sell them to me for 50.00 and I go to work on them as a hobby. GREAT firearms!!!! In fact they are my favorite restoring them is kinda of a passion. They only real POS IMHO I have ever run across is a 22 is the pheonix arms products. Well that and maybe the plastic viper....

Old 03-28-2012, 12:36 AM   #225

i just bought a sig sauer mosiquito for my wife(pink & black) 22LR. We are hitting the range tomorrow, i will report back on the handling of this gun.
i have a ruger 22 rifle that has always been reliable.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:36 AM   #226
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassMonkey View Post
That Walther P22 is crap IMHO. I tested a brand new example at the range (I was the first one to rent it), and it had more FTF than any other gun I have ever shot.
Should have picked up the Ruger SR22

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Old 03-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #227

I have a browning "Bull Barrel" .22 that is VERY picky about the ammo used.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:10 AM   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPGSr View Post
i just bought a sig sauer mosiquito for my wife(pink & black) 22LR. We are hitting the range tomorrow, i will report back on the handling of this gun.
i have a ruger 22 rifle that has always been reliable.
Always shoot CCI mini mags and you'll have no issues. I've had a Mosquito for a year and run 1,000+ rounds through it. Keep it clean and running 1200fps CCI's and you'll be OK.....Hates anything Remington or cheap low velocity stuff.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:58 AM   #229
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby View Post
I have a browning "Bull Barrel" .22 that is VERY picky about the ammo used.
I have a Browning Buckmark Camper with the bull barrel that eats anything.
Funny isn't it?

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Old 03-30-2012, 02:00 AM   #230
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeisme View Post
I dont know I love the marlin 60 family. People dont clean or maintain them. they treat them like a synthetic stock and beat em to all hell. Then when they fail they sell them to me for 50.00 and I go to work on them as a hobby. GREAT firearms!!!! In fact they are my favorite restoring them is kinda of a passion. They only real POS IMHO I have ever run across is a 22 is the pheonix arms products. Well that and maybe the plastic viper....
Speaking of the model 60, I have one too and am going to take it out next week with the two nine years olds and do some plinking. I haven't used it since my trapping days in 1999. I needed to give it a good cleaning and fould this online. Great "how-to". You need to sign up to download it, but it's worth it:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/rimfires/18606-arrowdodgers-model-60-power-point-presentation.html