What .22lr firearms should I avoid? - Page 21
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > What .22lr firearms should I avoid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 02:05 AM   #201
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Walther P22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassMonkey View Post
That Walther P22 is crap IMHO. I tested a brand new example at the range (I was the first one to rent it), and it had more FTF than any other gun I have ever shot.
I have a P22 and mine is VERY finicky about what it likes. Mostly I shoot Stingers because the cheaper .22s do not have enough umph to work the slide. I so use the cheap ammo to practice withbut the cheap stuff will not work the slide, it won't always return to battery(close). I simply push the slide closed with my thumb. If I want dependability I shoot Stingers and don't have a problem. I had read at a forum people were discussing the P22 and they said to only use high velocity amm or it would not function properly and they were right.Sorry about your bad luck.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #202

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I had similar issues that you have with the P22 my Sig Mosquito didn't feed any Remington ammo but the federal would not feed from time to time but if you have a suppressor on either weapon they feed just fine with backpressure from the can but if you don't have a can run CCI or federal

Combat Corespondent

Old 02-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #203

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Many years ago I bought a new Iver Johnson TP22 that I had concerns about until I learned that it was actually designed to shoot CCI Stingers. It was like firing a different pistol once I made the ammo change. I had a gem but didn't know it for a while.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #204

[QUOTE=pioneer461;4983]You get what you pay for.[/QUOTE

pioneer461:

Respectfully, I would normally agree with you..

However, in at least one instance that theory does not necessarily hold true..

That instance being the Henry rimfire rifle..

I'm a big Marlin 39 fan.. I have 5 of 'em... 1950,1970(2),1975,1996. I've always read where the Marlin 39's are the "best" (or at least close to the best) lever action 22 rifles ever made. (I'm excluding the "Remington" new production 39A's, which seem to be doing a very good job of soiling the name of the Marlin 39 lever action rimfire rifle that had been doing just fine for over a hundred years prior to the takeover by Remington)..

My buddy kept telling me to "get a Henry", "get a Henry", and I kept thinking, "hey I already live in an aluminum hacienda"I don't need "no cheap 22 rifle" as well..

But, curiosity overwhelmed me and last week my bride and I wandered into a local gun store and I bought a new Henry HT001Y.. (Actually we bought TWO). JoAnn liked the "looks" of the little buggers (youth models) so much that she got off HER wallet and bought one too, with a consecutive serial number to mine no less.

Anyway we came home, I cleaned 'em, and we went out back to our little private firing range and after adjusting the windage (easy to do) we found the suckers to be quite accurate, and the actions, of both, were slicker than snail snot.. Certainly light years better than the actions of any of my Marlins.

Um?

The wood on the Henry's was American Walnut, and I like 'em.. Just as good, to my eyes, as that of my Marlins.

They both shot perfectly, no fails to fire or jams or "nuttin".... Just silky smooth actions, and more accuracy than my old eyes and hands (I'm 69) can take advantage of.

One place where the Marlins whip the Henry's would be in the receiver areas.. The Marlins receivers are all steel, and the Henry's receivers are all "something"... Having said that I'd bet the Henry's would last the lifetime of an owner if reasonable care was taken to maintain it properly.

I'd say if a person wanted a collectable, or "heirloom" 22 cal. lever action rifle the Marlin would be the way to go. In fact with the crappy new ones coming off the assembly line I'd guess the older (particularly the pre-rebounding hammer/pre-cross block safety guns) Marlin 39's would just keep on increasing in value).

But, on the other hand IF a person wanted a "shooter", I'd say the Henry would be a better choice.

I had been reading the various rimfire forums for over a year and it's obvious that the gentleman who runs Henry runs a tight ship, and apparently Customer Service is 2nd to none.

I've also read where that's not necessarily the case with the Remington/Marlin's deal at present.

If "best bang for the buck" is the idea then at less than $270.00 out the door for each of our Henry's vs the retail asking price of a new Marlin 39A is roughly $669.00 (or that was the retail price on the one on the shelf at the gun store when we bought our Henry's) I'd say the Henry is a mighty attractive package.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE my Marlin 39's.. Don't plan to morph into a Henry disciple, but if giving credit where credit is due, I'd say the folks at Henry are due some credit, and respect..

They are, IN MY OPINION, making some darn good guns, at very reasonable prices, and I sincerely believe with a Henry you get MORE than what you pay for..

No offense to Marlin lovers ~ I R ONE 2..

Jesse

Last edited by PX15; 02-14-2012 at 08:37 PM.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #205

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Three things wrong w you statement: 1) remington doesnt and never has owned marlin 2) marlins warranty is great....better than any other rimfire rifle company except CZ at the moment 3) you can buy a brand new marlin 39a directly from marlin for $400....then you pay shipping.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 02-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Three things wrong w you statement: 1) remington doesnt and never has owned marlin 2) marlins warranty is great....better than any other rimfire rifle company except CZ at the moment 3) you can buy a brand new marlin 39a directly from marlin for $400....then you pay shipping.

Marlinman:

Perhaps you are correct.. Perhaps the "Cerberus Capital Management Freedom Group" did not in fact buy Marlin thru Remington Arms in 2008 (another famous firearms company they bought earlier), and perhaps the New Haven, Ct. factory, which manufactured Marlin 39A's was not actually closed in 2008, and perhaps the 265 employees that worked at the New Haven, Ct. factory were actually not laid off..

Perhaps manufacture of the Marlin 39A was actually NOT moved out of the state of Connecticut altogether, and perhaps the entire production line of "Marlin 39A's" was not temporarily stopped in 2011 at the new location because of "quality control" issues...

Don't know about Customer Service, just repeating what I've read on the Marlin owners website.

Didn't know a person could actually buy a new production Marlin 39A for $400.00 + shipping.

You could be right about all of the things you say.

I don't think you are ~ but I'm too old to care, and really don't have the interest to argue about it with you.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

Last edited by PX15; 02-14-2012 at 09:56 PM.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #207

Liked 94 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearTaylor View Post
Many years ago I bought a new Iver Johnson TP22 that I had concerns about until I learned that it was actually designed to shoot CCI Stingers. It was like firing a different pistol once I made the ammo change. I had a gem but didn't know it for a while.
I also had a TP22, traded it in for a Beretta 21A. It is much less fussy but still prefers high velocity .22 like the CCI Stingers.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #208

Liked 94 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
The solution is to buy older Winchesters that have been dicontinued. They're spendy but really worth the money, says the guy (me) that buys every one he can find.

Bill
Those old Winchesters rule! I have a model 06 that I traded a Maytag washing machine gas motor for. That would have been in 1945. It has never misfired or jammed.
Maybe a bit rough after all these years, restocked, but has a heart of steel. It saw a lot of action in the back bay area of Pascagoula when I was stationed at Keesler AFB 47/48 The take down feature was really handy.
winchester-model-06.jpg  

Last edited by redscho; 02-15-2012 at 12:41 AM.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:00 PM   #209

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PX15

Marlinman:

Perhaps you are correct.. Perhaps the "Cerberus Capital Management Freedom Group" did not in fact buy Marlin thru Remington Arms in 2008 (another famous firearms company they bought earlier), and perhaps the New Haven, Ct. factory, which manufactured Marlin 39A's was not actually closed in 2008, and perhaps the 265 employees that worked at the New Haven, Ct. factory were actually not laid off..

Perhaps manufacture of the Marlin 39A was actually NOT moved out of the state of Connecticut altogether, and perhaps the entire production line of "Marlin 39A's" was not temporarily stopped in 2011 at the new location because of "quality control" issues...

Don't know about Customer Service, just repeating what I've read on the Marlin owners website.

Didn't know a person could actually buy a new production Marlin 39A for $400.00 + shipping.

You could be right about all of the things you say.

I don't think you are ~ but I'm too old to care, and really don't have the interest to argue about it with you.

Best Wishes,

Jesse
Yes freedom arms group owns both companies. Yes the CT plant is gone. Remington hasnt made any of marlins parts since late 2011. Yes they stopped makin em for awhile but they are makin em now. And the last one i bought was for that price and that was in march of last year.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:55 AM   #210

I have a beretta neos and is great fired two boxes of 550 cheap Walmart ammo and.not one.single misfits. Also love the ez magazine loader