Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > What .22lr firearms should I avoid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 06:33 AM   #181
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookeye
Even volume adjusted (decent size shop over 3 yrs) I saw and fixed too many new, nearly new, and used Taurus revolvers and autos.
Poor machining/metallurgy/design.........some errors so huge they must simply have no QC checks.
Nice warranty..... because they need them.
If ya like them, and that warranty, fine (you'll be using it, maybe repeatedly).

HATE their stuff. But with the bad I gotta pass along some good...........

One customer double charged a .45 Colt load, blew his Judge in half. We finally got the story straight from the old nutball, and called Taurus about it, told them the truth too. Gun was sent back and IIRC we didn't hear anything for over 6 months, even when calling to check (you'll get that a lot with them). One day a box shows up, new Judge......... no charge.

They took care of a customer who didn't deserve it. That was pretty cool.

But they left him as well as many others, in limbo during the gun's vacation. I've had several come back after lengthy rides in limbo and they came back...........as they left (problem not fixed).

Some customers are OK with sending a gun back and forth a couple of times, think the cost savings still justified.

Others got their rigs finally back and immediately traded them for better domestic manufactured brands.

Taurus helps sell quite a few Smiths.

I won't even touch one these days, absolutely refuse.

But back to the thread topic, with my ranting against Taurus I gotta add anther Mofo of an irritation.............the plastic mag on Rem 541's.
That thing drives me crazy, decent little rifles, and a totally crap magazines. Why I sold my 541T-HB.
Im a smith also and ya iv worked on quite a few tauruses. Owned a few also. And i like them....but i know what im gettin and how to fix it so no big deal. I agree on the 541. I also have worked on several speedmasters. Those were mainly needing cleaning inside and spring replacements though.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 01-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #182

As far as a .22 I think I have more fun shooting my Ruger Mark III target than any other gun I have. At the top of any list is the fact that it is cheap to shoot. With that said, I don't mean it's the gun to own if you are on a budget. It's the gun to shoot to get better at shooting. Learn how to shoot cheaper and toy will shoot more often. Remember, the NRA's definition of "shooting regulary is shooting weekly. If you do anything on a regular basis, you should improve. I have learned a lot shooting my .22 and have applied what I learned to shooting my 9mm and .45 No the bang isn't as big but the fun is there. My Ruger is a bit fussy with ammo as well as a lot of guns. Find what works, shoot it and have fun. Remember, a .22 is a dirty gun to shoot. This will help you learn how to take care of your gun, learn how to clean it and this lesson is good for all guns. Don't be intimitaded by the number 22.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #183

Sig Mosquito. Misfeeds 50%

Old 01-31-2012, 01:13 AM   #184

Liked 311 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 6

at the moment, i'm regretting buying my charter arms ar-7. with federal bulk it becomes a straight pull bolt actioin, because they don't have enough snuss to cycle the action. with high & hyper velocity rounds it cycles, but that's when the feeding problems start to show up.

it wouldn't bother me as much if it just flat out never worked right, cuz that would tell me there's a problem that needs fixing. but it seems like every other magazine works fine.

oh well.....at least i got it cheap

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch

Old 01-31-2012, 01:15 AM   #185

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthav1
at the moment, i'm regretting buying my charter arms ar-7. with federal bulk it becomes a straight pull bolt actioin, because they don't have enough snuss to cycle the action. with high & hyper velocity rounds it cycles, but that's when the feeding problems start to show up.

it wouldn't bother me as much if it just flat out never worked right, cuz that would tell me there's a problem that needs fixing. but it seems like every other magazine works fine.

oh well.....at least i got it cheap
Hate to say it but ALL ar7's suck somehow

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 01-31-2012, 05:00 AM   #186

the only .22 i really disliked was the remington targetmaster bolt action single shot.i have had no complaints about acrussy it shot really well and grouped with in a 1/4 or less with each shot.the single action part is what really sucked.now i have a better .22 known as the marlin 81 with a tube fed bolt action system allowing me to shoot 14 rounds at a time.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:37 AM   #187

i have a fronter herratage .22LR & .22 MAG ... great plinker
also i have a walther p-22 ........ picky on ammo... after i found out what works i've had np w/ ftf,etc..... ..... great plinker also
a browning benchmark....... great plinker
ruger 10/22 ... sweet rifle !!
ati gsg-5 (looks like a MP5) wicked !!!

Last edited by xX_CRAZY_WOLFF_Xx; 02-04-2012 at 02:51 AM.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:48 AM   #188

here is a link 4 the walther p-22
it was VERY helpful....
http://www.spentbrass.com/

Old 02-04-2012, 02:53 AM   #189

now the Sig Mosquito..... it a major POS !!!

Old 02-04-2012, 02:55 AM   #190

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Ruger single six is a nice one