What .22lr firearms should I avoid? - Page 18
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion >

What .22lr firearms should I avoid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #171
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 7

My Browning Buck Mark will shoot holes in the cap off that milk jug.[/QUOTE]

LOVE my Browning Buck Mark! 5000 rounds and one jam.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #172

Liked 336 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Junk .22's.............

Marlin M60
Remington 522 Viper
Remington 597
anything Taurus

Fixed many of the above, and seen many more than needed fixing.

On magazine fed guns it seems quite a few on this thread have been given a bad rap, from an initial experience.

I snagged a HS Sharpshooter that wouldn't feed for anything, with 3 different HS mags. I called my bud and he sent a link to a fix. I made the tool, bent the good mags (proper heat treat) and they have been flawless ever since. I can hose that gun as fast as possible, or slow fire, with a variety of HV ammo and it runs like a sewing machine.

Enough ramble............my point is a bad mag can make or break a gun. I've had a few Walther P22's...........and with a good mag they run fine, with a variety of ammo. That gun would be OK, if it had decent sights on it. It's also not built for a lot of shooting. My buddy actually wore one out in a yr and got it replaced...........but he's kinda different, probably sent a brick through it a week, every week.

Poor little gun didn't stand a chance

Old 01-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #173

Liked 863 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookeye
Junk .22's.............

Marlin M60
Remington 522 Viper
Remington 597
anything Taurus

Fixed many of the above, and seen many more than needed fixing.

On magazine fed guns it seems quite a few on this thread have been given a bad rap, from an initial experience.

I snagged a HS Sharpshooter that wouldn't feed for anything, with 3 different HS mags. I called my bud and he sent a link to a fix. I made the tool, bent the good mags (proper heat treat) and they have been flawless ever since. I can hose that gun as fast as possible, or slow fire, with a variety of HV ammo and it runs like a sewing machine.

Enough ramble............my point is a bad mag can make or break a gun. I've had a few Walther P22's...........and with a good mag they run fine, with a variety of ammo. That gun would be OK, if it had decent sights on it. It's also not built for a lot of shooting. My buddy actually wore one out in a yr and got it replaced...........but he's kinda different, probably sent a brick through it a week, every week.

Poor little gun didn't stand a chance
We all agree on all but two on your list. Marlin 60 and taurus revolvers are great guns. The mags issue we all agree is a big thing.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 01-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #174

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Never had a problem with my marlin model 60, but I'm anal about keeping guns clean and I only shoot federal premium through it. My wife has a 10/22 and jams about one in 10. Marlin never jams....

Old 01-18-2012, 11:56 PM   #175

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropinfool View Post
Never had a problem with my marlin model 60, but I'm anal about keeping guns clean and I only shoot federal premium through it. My wife has a 10/22 and jams about one in 10. Marlin never jams....
I've found 99% of the time the problem with the Marlin 60 is the owner or just old age and wear. Mine's been an excellent rifle since the day it was bought.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:58 PM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightExpress

I've found 99% of the time the problem with the Marlin 60 is the owner or just old age and wear. Mine's been an excellent rifle since the day it was bought.
Also improper cleaning

Old 01-19-2012, 04:03 AM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassMonkey View Post
That Walther P22 is crap IMHO. I tested a brand new example at the range (I was the first one to rent it), and it had more FTF than any other gun I have ever shot.

I think the problem you were having with it was one of two things. Ether it was just because it wasn't broken in yet or it was the ammo you were shooting or maybe a combination of both. they do tend to take a lot to break in and they are really picky on ammo. the Winchester and Remington bulk packs wont cycle most of the time but the cci will. if you look at the Winchester and Remington the bullet is usual not seated right and is really loose which is not the case for the cci, even the bulk cci. i would suggest renting one that is broken in and use cci ammo in it and see how you like it.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:22 AM   #178

I purchased a savage model 64F from Walmart in Dec of 2009. I fed more rounds through it than I can keep track of. I was shooting the bulk box of federal. I was shooting 1/4" at 50 yds and about a 1/2" at 100 yds. It shot so accurate I could shoot a cigarette in half at 100 yds. I paid $127.00 for the rifle and about 40 for the Center Point 3-9x32 scope. I loved that gun.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:20 AM   #179

Liked 336 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Even volume adjusted (decent size shop over 3 yrs) I saw and fixed too many new, nearly new, and used Taurus revolvers and autos.
Poor machining/metallurgy/design.........some errors so huge they must simply have no QC checks.
Nice warranty..... because they need them.
If ya like them, and that warranty, fine (you'll be using it, maybe repeatedly).

HATE their stuff. But with the bad I gotta pass along some good...........

One customer double charged a .45 Colt load, blew his Judge in half. We finally got the story straight from the old nutball, and called Taurus about it, told them the truth too. Gun was sent back and IIRC we didn't hear anything for over 6 months, even when calling to check (you'll get that a lot with them). One day a box shows up, new Judge......... no charge.

They took care of a customer who didn't deserve it. That was pretty cool.

But they left him as well as many others, in limbo during the gun's vacation. I've had several come back after lengthy rides in limbo and they came back...........as they left (problem not fixed).

Some customers are OK with sending a gun back and forth a couple of times, think the cost savings still justified.

Others got their rigs finally back and immediately traded them for better domestic manufactured brands.

Taurus helps sell quite a few Smiths.

I won't even touch one these days, absolutely refuse.

But back to the thread topic, with my ranting against Taurus I gotta add anther Mofo of an irritation.............the plastic mag on Rem 541's.
That thing drives me crazy, decent little rifles, and a totally crap magazines. Why I sold my 541T-HB.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:26 AM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookeye
Even volume adjusted (decent size shop over 3 yrs) I saw and fixed too many new, nearly new, and used Taurus revolvers and autos.
Poor machining/metallurgy/design.........some errors so huge they must simply have no QC checks.
Nice warranty..... because they need them.
If ya like them, and that warranty, fine (you'll be using it, maybe repeatedly).

HATE their stuff. But with the bad I gotta pass along some good...........

One customer double charged a .45 Colt load, blew his Judge in half. We finally got the story straight from the old nutball, and called Taurus about it, told them the truth too. Gun was sent back and IIRC we didn't hear anything for over 6 months, even when calling to check (you'll get that a lot with them). One day a box shows up, new Judge......... no charge.

They took care of a customer who didn't deserve it. That was pretty cool.

But they left him as well as many others, in limbo during the gun's vacation. I've had several come back after lengthy rides in limbo and they came back...........as they left (problem not fixed).

Some customers are OK with sending a gun back and forth a couple of times, think the cost savings still justified.

Others got their rigs finally back and immediately traded them for better domestic manufactured brands.

Taurus helps sell quite a few Smiths.

I won't even touch one these days, absolutely refuse.

But back to the thread topic, with my ranting against Taurus I gotta add anther Mofo of an irritation.............the plastic mag on Rem 541's.
That thing drives me crazy, decent little rifles, and a totally crap magazines. Why I sold my 541T-HB.
Im a smith also and ya iv worked on quite a few tauruses. Owned a few also. And i like them....but i know what im gettin and how to fix it so no big deal. I agree on the 541. I also have worked on several speedmasters. Those were mainly needing cleaning inside and spring replacements though.