What .22lr firearms should I avoid? - Page 16
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > What .22lr firearms should I avoid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 09:59 AM   #151
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I have a Walther P22 and the second round I ran through it didn't eject properly , but that is the ONLY problem I have ever had with mine . I like it in certain situations to carry . It is compact and with my experiance reliable . I have run at least 400 rounds through mine with just the one failure to eject .

Old 12-31-2011, 07:25 PM   #152

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
It was in stock when we closed our store. I kept it because it was stainless. Other than the trigger work, I have a folding stock and muzzle break. I'm considering changing the 16" barrel to a 20".
Ya gotta love stainless...

Old 01-05-2012, 02:55 AM   #153

Picked up one of the new smith m&p 22 pistol (the actual pistol not the one that looks like an ar tyoe pistol). Not impressed, its a walther p22 in different clothing. Doesnt shoot for beens. The ONLY plus is that it cycles sub sonic ammo with my can on it.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:06 AM   #154

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Getting back to the original question of which 22's are bad, I think a lot of the "bad" 22's that people talk about are autos. The 22, being a pure blow back design depends on the weight of the slide and the recoil spring to offset the block back. So most 22's are notoriously picky about which ammo they will and won't shoot. They depend on the ammo generating a certain amount of pressure to balance the design of the gun. That's why some 22 makers ship guns with more than one weight of recoil spring for use with different ammo types. I've run across a long list of people who say the Sig Mosquito is the worst gun ever made. It is, unless you load it with CCI Mini Mags. Put almost anything else in it, and its horrible. Put CCI Mini Mags in it and its a dream. Or at least mine was. Every 22 has certain ammo types it likes and certain types it doesn't. You just have to play around until you find yours. My Browning Buckmark absolutely eats up Federal Auto Match ammo. Winchester bulk 22 ammo turns it into a single shot pistol. It's the nature of the beast. So while I have run across 22's which were defective, I haven't found one that I'd call "bad", with the right ammo.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #155

Paladin201, you're right on with the best post! Granted some are just poor design, but at least use good full power ammo for both accuracy and function.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #156

In reply to statements from Midnight Express: "The 60 started production about four years before the 10/22 but Ruger has only sold half as many of their rifles. I don't see any logical way the Ruger could have ever been in first place at any point."

The Marlin Model 60 was actually first mass-produced in 1960, hence the rifle's name "Model 60" became a perfect fit and a household name. Because world-wide sales topped peak production of the 22 semi-automatic, rim-fire rifle, within the first 3 years of its production, it quickly earned the title of "The World's Most Popular Rifle."

Midnight Express also stated, "One of the reasons the 10/22 has been slower to sell is because the Marlin 60 has been the more accurate rifle off the shelf, it's also been priced under the Ruger for as long as I can remember."

The Model 60's affordable price was one of the main features that enabled it's speedy domestic and international success; however, accuracy and reliability were also sound attributes of the rifle's formula, keeping it in high demand and earning it dominant recognition around the world. Accuracy was inherent in each Model 60's barrel with Marlin's new rifling patented design and its reliability was strengthened with a new automatic hold-open bolt system after the last shot is fired. Also during the 1960's, all stocks were made of hardwood (usually oak).

Old 01-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #157

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i have the same .22 auto pistol that i thought given the smith & wesson logo would be a good .22 target pistol. i paid $199.00 for it. this pistol has been back to the factory twice for two continuing problems. one is to not feed the first 2 rounds without jaming. the second was a very messed up saftey. i should have known when i purchased it. the gun itself was to inexpensive to begin with. under $200.00 for a .22 target pistol just ain't enough. all of the stamped parts in the gun and mags. and after trying everything from 45.00 per box (50 rounds) match ammo to wallmart 550 rounds for $20.00 it still won't hold a good group at 15 yds much less 25. the pistol now sits a the back of the gun cabinet never to be used. i refuse to sell it as i would not give any shooter a screw job like this one. S&W at one time made the finest firearms in the world and after owning 2 model 29's over the years that were great guns i was totally suprised with this pistol. guess its still true that you get what you pay for. exception to this is the marlin 60. was given one the christmas my dad died from my mom and its has had mostly likely 100k rounds down the pipe. the orignal 4x scope was banner i beleive shot out after 30k rounds. i now shoot it with the open sights and it works fine.

keep on shooten tell you trigger finger hurts

terry

Old 01-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #158

Yea 200.0 for a Target pistol is a little cheap but s&w should re- evaluate there quality standards it seems like

Old 01-10-2012, 02:31 AM   #159

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

here is the result of every post to date on the selected bad .22's... I went thry them all to date the multiples with the (x's) count as others aggreements... Its been snowing in virginia today...

Raven x
Jennings
Bryco...
Walther P22 is crap xxxxx
FIE
SQUIRES BINGHAM
Rexio
Walther
INTERARMS
.38 FIE Colt Navy
remington 22 viper semi automatic xx
Marlin model 60 x
taurus PT 22
Ruger single six
Rohm 22 short revolver
Marlin model 60 xx
Iver Johnson .22 that looked like a .30 M1

Carbine

NEF 9 shot revolver
Any of the AR-7 survival rifles x
Phoenix Arms Rangemaster
NAA .22 and .22 magnum mini-revolvers
Raven x
Wilkerson Arms

Phoenix Arms .22 semi-auto pistol
H&R 929
Colt/Umarex M4
Henry Firearms Co
Remington 597 xx
Sig Mosquito
Taurus

Old 01-10-2012, 02:57 AM   #160

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat990 View Post
here is the result of every post to date on the selected bad .22's... I went thry them all to date the multiples with the (x's) count as others aggreements... Its been snowing in virginia today...

Raven x
Jennings
Bryco...
Walther P22 is crap xxxxx
FIE
SQUIRES BINGHAM
Rexio
Walther
INTERARMS
.38 FIE Colt Navy
remington 22 viper semi automatic xx
Marlin model 60 x
taurus PT 22
Ruger single six
Rohm 22 short revolver
Marlin model 60 xx
Iver Johnson .22 that looked like a .30 M1

Carbine

NEF 9 shot revolver
Any of the AR-7 survival rifles x
Phoenix Arms Rangemaster
NAA .22 and .22 magnum mini-revolvers
Raven x
Wilkerson Arms

Phoenix Arms .22 semi-auto pistol
H&R 929
Colt/Umarex M4
Henry Firearms Co
Remington 597 xx
Sig Mosquito
Taurus
Bunk. The Ruger Single Six is a great little revolver.