What .22lr firearms should I avoid? - Page 15
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > What .22lr firearms should I avoid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 12:32 AM   #141
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

my grandad offered me my first shooting lession when i was 7 years old. he began with with safety first, last, and always. after which he offered me my first .22 rifle if i could learn my multiplacation tables from the back of the farmers almanac in one week. i have never studed so hard in my life and one week later he quized me from 0-12 and i got my first rifle. it was a winchester model 67 single shot. i still have and shoot this rifle today. it has taught all of my three children to shoot and now we have out first grandchild and if all goes well it will start him off as well. i think that today that any new shooter should begin with safety,safety, and more safety. then you can move on to the first rifle / pistol. the .22 is the best round to use for any new shooter as its low report and no recoil allow the shooter to sharpen the primary skills and positions.

good luck and good shooting

Old 12-30-2011, 12:41 AM   #142

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i have over 100 guns in my personal collection of which 60% are .22 rimfire rifles. if you want a fun gun that you can build into a better gun as you improve your skills the ruger 10\22 is a good place to start. also the marlin / glenfield model 60 (depends where you buy it) is also a great .22 rifle. i guess that any american made .22 rifle is a good choice as i have never had a bad one.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:12 AM   #143

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

ok lets start with the remingtons first.

1. the 541 series from t-s is one of the most accurate massproduced rimfire rifles ever made for under 1000.00 dollars. if you have any and want to sell them i will give you my email address and decide on a price.

2. the remington 504 series rimfire rifles were destroyed by internet want to be shooters that never picked one up but somehow were experts on the rifle. i currently have two. one set up for 50 yard benchrest and one as a sporter. both shoot under .65" at fifty yards and will do it over and over if you can shoot and maintain a rifle. the bench rest gun shoots even tighter...

3. as the 541 series is conserned when remington dropped this rifle to update to the 504 they made all of the right decisions. only internet shooters didn't like the 504 and it died. now it costs 1500.00 to buy a nice 504 from the custom gun shop.

4. mossburg makes and has made some of the best and cost effective .22's in the us. i got my expert marksman with an out of the box mossburg 144ls. no scope. no extra sights. gun was totally complete out of the box.

if you have any of the above mentioned junk guns drop me a line because like thay say "thay are just junk"

terrybreckenridge@yahoo.com

Old 12-30-2011, 01:35 AM   #144

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

if you think the ruger 10/22 & marlin model 60 is crap just what do you call a good .22 ???

Old 12-30-2011, 02:35 AM   #145

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo
Therewolf, I can't really fault the tube feed. It seems awkward to load them. It's just a personal preference that I don't care for them.
Tubes are a bit awkward if one is trying to do some kind of high speed tactical reload. For plinking purposes, just taking your time, its really no more awkward, slower, or difficult than reloading a standard box or rotary mag. Something to get used to for sure though.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:41 AM   #146

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat990 View Post
Thanks for the numbers ! I realised that the model 60 was selling well but did not know that it was out selling the ruger. as i said mine has many many rounds thru it and still is accurate. this gun has helped many friends get into the fun of shooting and will hopefully bring in many more. the model 60 may not have the many aftermarket parts that the ruger 10/22 has but if you get down to it, it really doesn't really need them. the stocks that i have personally refinished for friends have all turned out well and to date i have done over 20. one of the ideas i picked up from a master furniture gentleman was to remove the old finish, then remove all of the catalls using water & heat. when the stock is mirror smooth begin rubbing clorox bleach into the wood and then resanding. after a few treatements the stock the stock will develop a very deep blond color and can now be finished with tru-oil. my best results for a great gunstock finish is still hand rubbed oil but on this stock truoil is ok.

great shooting

terry
Those number were just fresh in my mind, I was digging around a couple of weeks ago for the info. and now don't even remember why. So it must have been real important. A tow to one ration in sales is a little more than I would have expected with just a four year head-start, but a lot of people do have both.

A good friend of mine has 4 different 60's and one Ruger between him and his two sons. The 60's vary in age and the newest is probably from the mid to late 90's. The oldest could be as old as the early 70's and I believe the Ruger is also from the 90's. I've never had to work on the Marlin 60's or the 10/22 they have, but I did get to fix a beat-up 336C that needed a new carrier. He bought it well used (abused actually) he takes care of his firearms as I've cleaned and repaired a few of his over the years and fitted a set of wood grips to a Taurus pistol he has.

The stocks on the Marlin rifles are less than spectacular, with some notable exceptions. The recent Deluxe models of the 60 and the 336 have some really nice checkered Walnut on them and there were some with the nice thumbhole laminates at one time. The birch laminate that was factory on mine wasn't much to look at, but it did its job until it was replaced with a Boyds Pepper (black & gray) laminated thumbhole stock. The only real complaint I can have with the Marlin was the heavy trigger pull, mine was around 7-lbs. There have been reports of trigger ranging from 4 - 9 pounds on the Model 60.

The trigger was remedied with 20 minutes of stone work on the sear, a nice 2-lb 11-oz trigger made this one a whole new rifle. I also removed a little bit of trigger take-up and some overtravel.

There are a few after market parts out there for the 60 and 795 rifles, nothing compared to the 10/22 but still enough to make the rifle your own.

And l I'll copy and save the information you posted on the stock finishing for future reference. I've been debating on what to do with the original and the Tru-Oil I used on my Boyds Shady Camo stock tuned out very nice even if it was a lot of sanding and coating and waiting and buffing and coating and waiting etc. etc. It was worth it, plus the more time you spend on wood finishing or painting means much better results in the end.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:03 PM   #147

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Tubes are a bit awkward if one is trying to do some kind of high speed tactical reload. For plinking purposes, just taking your time, its really no more awkward, slower, or difficult than reloading a standard box or rotary mag. Something to get used to for sure though.
This helps with reloading the tube magazines.

GNS-120 - Spee-D-Loader 120 Round Speed Loader Works with all Tube Fed Rifles and .22 Ammo

Old 12-30-2011, 02:40 PM   #148

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I never had a problem with the tube loaders but after seeing the speed d loader I am going to get one!

Old 12-30-2011, 03:12 PM   #149

Liked 2476 Times on 1414 Posts
Likes Given: 1933

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
Therewolf, I can't really fault the tube feed. It seems awkward to load them. It's just a personal preference that I don't care for them.
That's OK. Gun ownership is all personal. I dislike box mags for the .22s

for the same reasons, just never cared for them.

So did you come across a really nice custom 10/22 at your shop, or

did you re-build it yourself?

Last edited by therewolf; 12-30-2011 at 03:14 PM.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:09 AM   #150
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 211 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 649

Default My 10/22

It was in stock when we closed our store. I kept it because it was stainless. Other than the trigger work, I have a folding stock and muzzle break. I'm considering changing the 16" barrel to a 20".