Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > What .22lr firearms should I avoid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 09:35 PM   #131
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I must just have good luck with firearms as I keep getting good ones!

I have (4) 22 rifles a Marlin 60 SB a Marlin 82SSV and an old Marlin single shot from Sears that does not have a model number on it. I also have a Savage 64 and I have no problems with any of them.

In pistols I have (2) Smith & Wesson 22A-1 a Taurus PT-22 and a Chiappa1911-22 then the revolvers I have a Smith & Wesson 17-3 and a High Standard Longhorn

We shoot all of these on a regular basis and they just keep on shooting! Now I require any weapon that has been fired be field striped and cleaned before the end of the day!

I will say with cheap ammo after about 3 boxes either of the 22A-1 pistols will have failure to cycle problems - - -good ammo does not have this problem and a cuick cleaning takes care of it so I don't feel it is an issue.

Marlin

Old 12-27-2011, 02:54 AM   #132

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default marlin model 60

over the years i have put over 20k rounds thru mine and its still working fine and hitting cans at 75 yards. sorry you don't like um but they are one of the most produced .22 autos in current production. the ruger 10/22 i beleive is still in first place...

terry

keep on shooten

Old 12-27-2011, 08:07 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat990
over the years i have put over 20k rounds thru mine and its still working fine and hitting cans at 75 yards. sorry you don't like um but they are one of the most produced .22 autos in current production. the ruger 10/22 i beleive is still in first place...

terry

keep on shooten
I agree with Terry. I own one and I'm glad that I made a good choice in getting one. The rounds are inexpensive and they are fun too shoot. I always recommend in getting a Ruger 10/22 if a person has never fired a weapon for the first time. Once you get proficient with it you can get any other weapon for home defense or for CCW purposes. If anyone will go for competition, the Ruger will be the best to shoot.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #134

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat990 View Post
sorry you don't like um but they are one of the most produced .22 autos in current production. the ruger 10/22 i beleive is still in first place
Roughly 6 million Ruger 10/22's sold compared to 12 million Marlin 60's, I'm pretty sure 12 million is more than 6 million. Which would put the Ruger behind the Marlin, where it's been since the mid 1960's. The 60 started production about four years before the 10/22 but Ruger has only sold half as many of their rifles. I don't see any logical way the Ruger could have ever been in first place at any point.

One of the reasons the 10/22 has been slower to sell is because the Marlin 60 has been the more accurate rifle off the shelf, it's also been priced under the Ruger for as long as I can remember. Bud's Gun Shop has their lowest Marlin 60 ($159) about 32% less than their lowest Ruger 10/22. ($236) If memory serves me I believe the 32% price difference was the same at Wal-Mart and a few other places the day I bought the 60.

With the exception of the Model 60 Anniversary Edition the Ruger has been the better looking, if not the best looking semi-auto 22 you can buy at a reasonable price. It also leads the way when it comes to customizing these rifles. I haven't witnessed its rumored reliability first hand, but I have read about it. Of course these rumors could be coming from the same people who claim the Ruger has out sold the Marlin

Don't mistake a rational decision for dislike of a particulate rifle, like/dislike has nothing to do with it. I wasn't looking for pretty, I wasn't looking for something to build and I wanted something accurate and reliable from the start. The 10/22 did not fit the bill and with the 60 priced about $50 lower at the time it wasn't hard to make the decision. The $50 bought a cheap Tasco scope and a brick of rimfire ammo 5-6 years ago.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:02 PM   #135

Liked 59 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Supremely Viable Tactical Single Shot Sniper Assault .22

I love stringing these words together.......they sound so naughty.

Google

Tactical22.net - Tactical 22lr Rimfire Reference

It'd be even better if it was a sustainable supremely viable tactical assualt sniper sling shot. could market it as the most widely issued and fielded assult weapon since 30,000 Bc with over 40 billion units mfg to date.

4002286733_560780a86d_b.jpg  

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 12-27-2011 at 09:24 PM.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:24 AM   #136
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 192 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 622

Default Marlin Model 60 and Glenfield

My brother and I used to own a sporting goods store. I bought quite a few of these .22 rifles used. I would take them apart and clean them before sale. I was able to sell them easily and never had a problem with any of them. Personally I just don't like a tube feed magazine.

I have installed the Voltquartsen trigger in both my 10/22 and MK II. Worth every penny. For those of you having a problem with reassembling your MK II, try the last step with the pistol handle pointing up.

I doubt I will ever buy anything made by Taurus.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:39 PM   #137

Liked 2446 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
My brother and I used to own a sporting goods store. I bought quite a few of these .22 rifles used. I would take them apart and clean them before sale. I was able to sell them easily and never had a problem with any of them. Personally I just don't like a tube feed magazine.

I have installed the Voltquartsen trigger in both my 10/22 and MK II. Worth every penny. For those of you having a problem with reassembling your MK II, try the last step with the pistol handle pointing up.

I doubt I will ever buy anything made by Taurus.
I agree about Taurus, but have you had issues with the

tubies?

The reason I prefer them is they're internal, low profile, and, to date,

as fast as box mags, and more dependable...

Old 12-29-2011, 11:51 PM   #138

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the numbers ! I realised that the model 60 was selling well but did not know that it was out selling the ruger. as i said mine has many many rounds thru it and still is accurate. this gun has helped many friends get into the fun of shooting and will hopefully bring in many more. the model 60 may not have the many aftermarket parts that the ruger 10/22 has but if you get down to it, it really doesn't really need them. the stocks that i have personally refinished for friends have all turned out well and to date i have done over 20. one of the ideas i picked up from a master furniture gentleman was to remove the old finish, then remove all of the catalls using water & heat. when the stock is mirror smooth begin rubbing clorox bleach into the wood and then resanding. after a few treatements the stock the stock will develop a very deep blond color and can now be finished with tru-oil. my best results for a great gunstock finish is still hand rubbed oil but on this stock truoil is ok.

great shooting

terry

Old 12-30-2011, 12:04 AM   #139

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

forget to put this in but if you become interested in a ruger 10/22 standard version i can get then for you for $175.00 plus shipping. at this time i cannot better the price of the model 60 that you quoted but hay i have mine and will never part with it. my mom purchased it for me from sears under the glendfield brand complete with a 4x scope around 1974 as a tribuite to my dad who had just passed away. the scope finaly crashed after 5 years and i either shoot it with open sights or a 4x nikon scope. it shoots as well as a standard rugeer 10/22.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:05 AM   #140
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 192 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 622

Default tube feed magazines

Therewolf, I can't really fault the tube feed. It seems awkward to load them. It's just a personal preference that I don't care for them.

Last edited by Mongo; 12-30-2011 at 12:12 AM. Reason: more detail