Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > What .22lr firearms should I avoid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 06:52 PM   #121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Agree with ONE exception - They (FIE) used to import (many yrs ago) a single action "Colt" clone in 22lr- It was all steel & a really great shooter- Wish i had kept the one i had
I have one of those guns and I mentioned it in a reply just before you made this one. Had it for ten years, it was stolen during a burglary and lost for several years. The police returned the gun (I'd reported it missing after the burglary) when it was found during a drug bust in '95 and aside from obvious wear and missing the rear site it was still working. I replaced the sight, cleaned the gun up and I still use the little revolver for plinking to this day.

Last edited by rachilders; 12-09-2011 at 07:01 PM.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:56 PM   #122

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

A tactical 22???

Yeah, that'll go great with a Barrett 50 CCW,

And the old standby, the thread-famous

"1000 yard all-purpose semi-auto for less than 400$"...

Old 12-21-2011, 12:28 PM   #123

As far as the Beretta mod 21, CCI 22 stingers are the recommended load. Seem to be for most 22s.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #124

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
The 10/22 is crap huh, fooled me my lil 10/22 is all tricked out, adams an bennett barrel, thumbhole stock to many parts to list an man I shoots good so crap haaaa by no means is it crap
No they're not crap but how did it shoot BEFORE you spent a butt load of money on it to make it shoot? Not nearly as accurate as a Marlin Model 60 I bet.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 12-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #125

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
No they're not crap but how did it shoot BEFORE you spent a butt load of money on it to make it shoot? Not nearly as accurate as a Marlin Model 60 I bet.
My Chevy is faster than your Ford. My Ford is faster than your Chevy. Why don't you brand name fanatics give it a break?

Who in the hell cares if the Marlin is more accurate than the Ruger? Is the Marlin 60 as reliable? Hell no... Is the Marlin "all that much more accurate" than the Ruger 10/22? No it isn't...

I'll bet the Ruger is more reliable than the Marlin 60. I worked in a full service gun shop. The most often repaired .22 was the Marlin 60. I can't even remember a Ruger 10/22 ever being in need of repair. Which is probably why I own Ruger 10/22's and don't own a Marlin 60.

I do own several Marlin 39A's though. I own them because of their quality construction, and reliability.

Bill

Old 12-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #126

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
IMO, there's a few other issues which bear on this topic.

Personal handling for one.

Example? For instance, I have a Marlin 60. I clean it, keep it free of

debris, polish the contact surfaces, and lovingly lubricate it on

a regular basis. Hardly surprising that it shoots better than a

friend of mine's 10/22 which isn't that well taken care of, and has

an unreliable mag.

There's a lot of variables out there, so let's all cut each other some

slack, huh?

Old 12-22-2011, 07:39 PM   #127

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassMonkey View Post
That Walther P22 is crap IMHO. I tested a brand new example at the range (I was the first one to rent it), and it had more FTF than any other gun I have ever shot.
My son got one when he was 13 yrs. (Christmas gift from Dad) He has put thousands of rounds through it. (He is 31 yrs old now) The one problem we had was with ammo. The light target ammo does not work the action well enough. And some economy ammo sold at the box stores likewise. As long as we use some hi-power top of the line ammo such as Remington , Winchester or Federal we have had no problem. Now this Walther we have is a exact copy of the Walther P-38 but just scaled down a little. Perhaps you are talking about the new plastic Walthers that Smith & Wesson and Walther are making now? I have not tried them but on the other hand I have not had any come into my shop for repairs either. We will see after they have been around for a while.
Sarge

If a man strikes you on the cheek
Being a Christian the only thing you can do
Is to help him up off the ground.
Sarge

Old 12-22-2011, 07:52 PM   #128

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default sell

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
The absolute worst rimfire rifles are the Remington 5teen series and the Old mossberg rifles. The top slot is held by the Win mod 52. All these rifles are junk and worthless. If you have one then you shoul sell it to me for a really low low price.
I have known Tango for a long time.......don't play cards with him either. LOL
Sarge

If a man strikes you on the cheek
Being a Christian the only thing you can do
Is to help him up off the ground.
Sarge

Old 12-23-2011, 02:04 AM   #129

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
Why don't you brand name fanatics give it a break?

Who in the hell cares if the Marlin is more accurate than the Ruger? Is the Marlin 60 as reliable? Hell no... Is the Marlin "all that much more accurate" than the Ruger 10/22? No it isn't...

I'll bet the Ruger is more reliable than the Marlin 60. I worked in a full service gun shop. The most often repaired .22 was the Marlin 60. I can't even remember a Ruger 10/22 ever being in need of repair. Which is probably why I own Ruger 10/22's and don't own a Marlin 60.
Your hypocrisy is nothing short of astounding. It's not brand fanaticism or loyalty, it's just simple facts. The general consensus surrounding the 60 vs 10/22 is the Marlin is more accurate, both are very reliable if they're treated properly and fed some decent ammunition. I've heard of the 10/22's reliability but haven't seen it in person yet.

The three people with Rugers I have personal contact with all had reliability issues and they were not as accurate as the 60 I own. ("had" because they no longer own them) The half dozen 60's I have personal contact with have been reliable as long as they're cleaned and lubed properly. ("have" because they still own them) And yes, the Rugers were just as well taken care of as the Marlins.

I have all the respect in the world for Ruger and have my eyes on the 22/45, but the over-hyped 10/22 did not impress me with its accuracy or reliability. I'm glad I had honest friends and former 10/22 owners to talk with before I bought my Marlin 60.

Quote:
Source: Gun Knowledge .com

There have been more than 5 million Ruger 10/22s sold by Sturm, Ruger, and Co. since 1964, although it is not the best selling .22 rifle in history, that distinction belongs to the Marlin 60, which Marlin claims to have sold over 11 million worldwide since 1960.
Marlin introduced their 50th Anniversary model to commemorate 50 years and supposedly for breaking the 12-Million sold mark. That number does not include the 795 or other Marlin semi-auto variants whether it be clip/mag feed or tube/mag feed. There's a reason this rifle keeps selling, and it's not just the price tag.

Quote:
Who in the hell cares if the Marlin is more accurate than the Ruger?
Marlin owners, former Ruger 10/22 owners, general firearms owners who may be looking for their first semi-auto 22. Those who gave me advice and their honest opinion on both, I'm sure Marlin and Ruger care as well. People who prefer function over form, people who like to hit what they're aiming at, I could keep going but this list is getting long. I think you care as well, otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned it.

Quote:
I worked in a full service gun shop. The most often repaired .22 was the Marlin 60. I can't even remember a Ruger 10/22 ever being in need of repair. Which is probably why I own Ruger 10/22's and don't own a Marlin 60.
I've heard that urban legend before, and the one about a gunsmith who "refused to work" on the Marlin semi-autos for one reason or another. I don't believe any of them, at best they're exaggerations. Every rifle has been in the shop for repairs I don't care who made it. With the 60 out selling the Ruger more than 2:1 I would expect to see a few more in the shop compared to the Ruger.

Your assessment of the 39A is correct. All Marlin lever action rifles, rimfire and centerfire, are built solid to be accurate and reliable. My 336C has been perfect since I bought it used. A lot of rounds through it when it was my only rifle and it hasn't given me a bit of trouble despite being a 1967 build. It gets cleaned and oiled as it should, just like the rest of my firearms which is one reason my 60 stays reliable.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:02 AM   #130

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANDYMOSS-BERG View Post
Has Any one Shot The Savage Mark Ii Gy- Youth Model ?(bolt Action). I Am Thinking Of Buying My Son (he's 7) His First .22. I Like The 10-22 , But Don't Want A Semi-auto.....any Advice Would Be Nice....
Not knowing the size of your son- he may be large for his age- consider an older rifle no longer in production. I found a used Remington Model 580 in fair condition at a local pawn shop, a single shot bolt action chambered for short, long, and long rifle. I've become real fond of this rifle. Real accurate out to 50 yards- haven't tried it beyond and no real need to- and will shoot almost anything .22 rimfire chambered in it with no problems. I use it primarily for squirrel "bustin" around my bird feeders. I gave $10.00 plus a Mossberg 802 Plinkster. I honestly believe I got the better deal which brings me to the worst .22 I've owned to date. The Plinkster- .22 LR bolt action magazine fed- was an absolute POS. Bolt action was lousy, magazines had to be "fiddled with" to get them to seat in the receiver. You get what you pay for.