Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > What .22lr firearms should I avoid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 10:21 PM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_gatz View Post
Despite all the bad things I have read about this gun on this site, I went out and bought one anyways.

<snip>
And you still bought one...! Didn't all of those horror stories affect you?

Bill

Old 12-04-2011, 08:22 PM   #102

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Sig Mosquito, worst .22 I've ever had. Only ate cci mini mags, ftf every couple mags. Crappy crunchy long @ss trigger and even longer reset. Made my glocks seem like raceguns.

Love my ruger 10/22 and my gsg 1911.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:33 AM   #103

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Marlin model 60. Barrel to frame fit WILL work loose. Aluminum frame/pressed in barrel. Soft wood stocks ding easily.
Never saw a model 60 with a "frame", but the receiver for the stainless model is the same aluminum used on the blue rifles. It's just painted silver instead of black. I do have a 2005 60 with several thousand rounds through it, 50K would be a conservative estimate, without any barrel to receiver fit issues. They key is to never separate the two and stay clear of the Hyper-Velocity ammo, you'll never have a problem with the barrel to receiver fit. The Hyper ammo tends to beat the action a bolt apart, not the barrel/receiver joint.

I've never had my hands on one with a loose barrel and have only heard of a few that I can remember. A couple had been previously separated and would no longer stay together, another had a cracked receiver. I couldn't verify if it had been separated and cracked in the process or if the crack was a defect. I believe Marlin uses a locking compound on the barrel/receiver joint, which would explain why they failed to stay together once separated.

The stock, depending on which one comes with it, can show the slightest imperfection. However, the factory laminated stock on mine was a lot more dent resistant than the solid birch stock on my 917V. Now the 917V would develop a dent or ding every chance it got. Both have been replaced with Boyds laminated stocks which helps reduce the dents and dings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pounce View Post
I replaced the fireing [sic] pin spring
I find that very interesting when you consider the Marlin 60 doesn't have a firing pin spring.

Usually, if a 60 or other semi-auto rimfire gums up after so few rounds, it's because there's too much lube in the action and/or bolt assemblies. It's due in part to the extremely dirty rimfire ammo and the fact we tend to shoot a lot during a range session.

Mine typically fires 500+ rounds between cleanings and once had about 1600 before it was cleaned, but it prefers to run nearly dry. I did have to clean it after about 50 rounds once, but I learned then it was the lube. I had used too much and after it was simply wiped clean it shot just fine. I've found using EEZOX and letting dry before using the rifle to be the way to lube my rimfire semi-autos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsumstuff View Post
They have been making the Model 60 for a few decades. Are you referring to a specific "after ??? year don't purchase"? Thanks!
Just try to avoid one that's been hammered on by the previous owner. Something around the mid 80's will have the newer style feedthroat, a last shot hold open feature not seen in earlier models, a longer barrel (21" or 22") and the higher capacity tube magazine. The magazine tube was shortened soon after to the current 14-round magazine and the barrel was shortened a few years later to the 19" we see today.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:34 AM   #104

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_gatz View Post
Despite all the bad things I have read about this gun on this site, I went out and bought one anyways. First time I shot it, it was 20 degrees and snowing out. Only 1 FTF which was ammo related. Recycled it and popped right off. I probably put 200 rounds through it. 1 at a time all the way to letting all 10 go as fast as I could. I think I put its through her paces. Trigger is a tad stiff for my liking but I'll make due. Not a deal breaker.I was shooting Remington ammo as well...... Maybe I got lucky? Who knows. I did strip her down and gave her a good cleaning before I did all of this. Dang Remington must of put 100 rounds through her, she was that dirty!
The 200 rounds of Remington ammo can produce a lot junk inside anything that shoots it. It's not the worst I've seen, but it ranks second on the list behind the Aquila SSS I tried to shoot.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #105

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

AR7 (Henry survival rifle) hands down the worst .22 EVER. Fails to feed almost every time.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:34 PM   #106

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Good Guns and some not so great ones getting a bad rap

bad mags and dirty guns and sub par ammo

5 years in North West Arctic on a used Remington model 522 with decent mag, good maintenance and cleaning has given trouble free service all this time.
I had in past two diffrent Charter ArmsAR-7 Explorers both did ok if you had a decent mag/ good ammo/clean gun, you just have to remember they were a gimmic gun of pot metal supposed to rest in aircraft's survival kit till you wreck and then used to game at just byond slingshot distance, no more no less.

The Marlin model 60, if one of them chokes its not a design fault of the gun,its most likely a dirty gun and worn parts will make even great ammo jamb.

Ruger will choke on filth neglect and even great ammo will once again look horrible.

High Standard Supermatic Citation works great when ctg feed ramp is polished, gun is pristene inside and out and use std velocity .22lr(target ammo in target gun....Duah moments)

Even the jennings J25 with decent mag, polished feed ramp and spotless inside will make this much maligned handgun look great.

Even the economy Hi-Point 995 carbine chuggs right along with regular cleaning and good diet of factory ammo

The Davis DM .22 derringer still is a pretty crappy "target gun" at 20 yards the fixed sights that 20# trigger pull hinder my 20" patterns at that distance, but considering its ment to be a close in gun (10 feet) and supposed to have a heavy trigger for a pocket gun, I cant really belittle it too much.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 12-07-2011 at 08:45 PM.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:06 PM   #107

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think the problem with the AR7 is the design of the magazine and its position relative to the tiny feed ramp in the barrel. The rounds would get locked up at a 45 degree angle. I had one slam fire that exploded a round in my face and I got some particles in my eye. It didn't do any permanent damage but it hurt like hell. The stock mags are worthless. The aftermarket Ramline 30rd mags are much better, but they're expensive and rare, not even worth it for such a niche gun.

I keep all my guns squeaky clean, and I use the best ammo I can get usually.

I noticed some people saying the Walther p22 and the Ruger 10/22 were crap. I never had any problems with these.

Last edited by wcohio; 12-07-2011 at 11:20 PM.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:03 AM   #108

Liked 2149 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcohio View Post
I think the problem with the AR7 is the design of the magazine and its position relative to the tiny feed ramp in the barrel. The rounds would get locked up at a 45 degree angle. I had one slam fire that exploded a round in my face and I got some particles in my eye. It didn't do any permanent damage but it hurt like hell. The stock mags are worthless. The aftermarket Ramline 30rd mags are much better, but they're expensive and rare, not even worth it for such a niche gun.

I keep all my guns squeaky clean, and I use the best ammo I can get usually.

I noticed some people saying the Walther p22 and
Quote:
the Ruger 10/22 were crap.
I never had any problems with these.
Anyone that says the 10-22 is crap is full of the same

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 12-08-2011, 03:38 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Marlin model 60. Barrel to frame fit WILL work loose. Aluminum frame/pressed in barrel. Soft wood stocks ding easily.
I LOVE my Marlin Model 60 - I can hit any target with a 1"group at 100 yards consistently -

Old 12-08-2011, 04:14 AM   #110

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY

Anyone that says the 10-22 is crap is full of the same
The 10/22 is crap huh, fooled me my lil 10/22 is all tricked out, adams an bennett barrel, thumbhole stock to many parts to list an man I shoots good so crap haaaa by no means is it crap