Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > what .22 bullet is best for the marlin 795?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 02:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default what .22 bullet is best for the marlin 795?

i tried subsonic and it wont cycle the bolt. thunderbolts will, but misfire allot. what do you guys think i should use? my instruction manual says high power bullets only.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-10-2011, 03:10 AM   #2

While I don;t own a 795 all of my Semi-auto .22LRs will shoot the Federal Auto Match. Wally world sells it, as do alot of other places.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:24 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

how much does that value pack run? are they any good? how many misfires would you say you get out of the whole box? do they cycle well? sorry for the questions i just want/need to find ammo my rifle likes

Old 01-10-2011, 03:27 AM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

ones that go BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG.

Put the Remington golden turds down and step slowly away from the box.

Anything but Remington Golden turds and the other bulk Remington fooder.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:43 AM   #5

I think they are about $11 a box. I am sure there have been misfires but not enough that I have to count them.

The Winchester bulk packs are not bad either, about the same money.

If you are only buying one box, buy the Federals.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:04 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

High velocity ammo will cycle your Marlin semi-auto more reliably. I've had good service out of bulk Remington Golden Bullets, but most people say they can't get through a magazine with out a problem. I'm lucky I guess, I can get a 1" group with these at 100 yards if I do my part, using a bench and bag rests with a 1% failure rate. I've put about 10,000 rounds of this through my Marlin 60 since it was purchased new early 2006, it was all my local Wal-Mart had in bulk so I kept buying it and I'll keep buying it until it actually starts to shoot as bad as others say.

CCI Blazer and Mini-Mag have fired every time in my Marlin 60 and have one of the best reputations of any rimfire brand on the web, I did have one case burst on a Mini-Mag though. I still think it's great ammo, just my dumb luck to get a few bad ones in my first purchase of this brand. The Mini-Mag and Blazer have not been tested at 100 yards through my rifle yet, but 50 yard accuracy was on par with the others, so I expect 1" groups or better when I get back to the range.

Bulk ammunition from Federal like the pack mentioned above and the 525 blue box, the Winchester 333 and 555 packs are also highly regarded, I haven't had a change to shoot these yet.

I have shot a 400 rounds of Aguila, the Sniper Sub Sonic would cycle the action but it wasn't accurate, it shot low and would key-hole the target at 50 yards if it managed to hit it. The high velocity Aguila shot well and was as accurate as the Remington at 100 yards.

The only real problem I've had with my Marlin was/is with Winchester Wildcat, they will foul my Model 60 barrel within 50 rounds. By the time I get a third magazine emptied through the barrel I can't hit a 12" target at 50 yards.

You can find some great deals on-line if you want to try several small boxes in different brands, but I would look to see what is available in your are first.