What .22 is best? - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > What .22 is best?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 12:20 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 48 Times on 31 Posts

image-3865364996.jpg

Just the tip.....

Old 10-26-2012, 11:09 PM   #62

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Im from South Africa and unless you are a collector, you are not allowed to own any semi-auto weapons. I have a bolt action Brno Cz model 2. I LOVE IT! I have shot with a semi auto on the range and it is an experience and a pleasant one at that. My heart still sits with the bolt teaching you to make every bullet count and not jst use the semi auto to walk your target in (not that im saying all semi -auto owners do that) if accuracy is what you aiming for then a bolt has a slight edge out of the box as the bolt stays locked in place while your projectile and gasses exit the front of yhe barrel.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:23 PM   #63

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Ruger 10/22 with the ruger branded 25 round mags.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:12 AM   #64

Liked 48 Times on 31 Posts

image-87339860.jpg

This is the best .22

Old 10-27-2012, 05:22 AM   #65
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 61 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 19

The Ruger 10/22 is the chameleon of rifles; there are as many versions as there are methods of shooting. But that belly-button effect sometimes causes more confusion than satisfaction. From reading this string it should be obvious that freedom of choice is alive and well in Twenty-Two Land and everybody has their favorites! I approve of the nice things said about the S&W 15-22 because I own one and find it very capable. At the other end of the image scale I also have a Henry Golden Boy and sing the praises of it's quality and smooth action every chance I get. The 15-22's get loaded with everything from red-dots and side-mount BUIS rigs to low-light scopes that cost five-times more than the basic gun plus every option ever made for a full-sized AR and they still shoot wonderfully. The beautiful Henry lever-gun has quite accurate buckhorn-and-brass-bead open sights and little beyond what was available in the 19th Century as options but still manages to be a very satisfying firearm to shoot. I've shot bolt-action .22's but really prefer the greater capacity of a lever-action and the lesser disruption of the firing position they provide. You know; I just realized that I would be happy to live the rest of my life shooting all the various versions of the .22 rimfire rifle just to see which I preferred. Now that would be a satisfying way to spend my Golden Years!

"History teaches that war begins when nations believe that the price of aggression is cheap." - Ronald Reagan

Old 10-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #66

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Never been graced to shoot a lever action but i can see your point.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:04 PM   #67

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I shoot a LOT of 22's. A LOT!! I have one Glenfield/Marlin 60, An old Remington 121 Field master pump action (I love pump action rifles!!!) An AMT Lightning 25 (a 10-22 copy but with stainless receiver and loner 24" bbl), a Savage MKII bolt action, and two 10-22's. The Rugers get the most work by far. The Ringtone allows for different ammo types and the Marlin and Savage are great shooters. But the Rugers have allowed me to set them all up differently. I have yet to pick up a 10-22 that would not put the hole right where I want it. Mags are pretty cheap and plentiful.

If I was looking for a 22 today I"d look at a Ruger or Marlin 60. I just don't see enough of an advantage in accuracy in the bolt gun 22 I have to say I'd keep it if I could have only one. Tube mags kind of tick me off after a while. Being able to have a couple pockets full of 10 round Ruger mags in my pocket and maybe a couple 25 rounders I can work pretty hard and emptying one of those Federal bulk packs of ammo that my 22's just seem to love. Bottom line is if I was only able to have one 22 rifle I"d keep a 10-22. Parts are uber plentiful, they are really accurate out of the box. Man, I just this weekend picked up two 10 round Ruger mags at a gun show for 12 bucks. I've never seen that kind of deal on any other detachable mag 22...EVER.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #68

Likes Given: 1

Lots of good 22 rifles to select from, but without question; the best buy is the CZ 452.
It is very accurate, well made, and about $425 to $450 in price.
I have one, and also an Anschutz 1416HB, that costs more than twice as much, and the CZ is definitely, just as accurate.
The money that you save by buying the CZ can be better spend in buying a better quality scope, rather than a couple of hundred dollar cheapo.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #69

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

I'm shocked we can't get a common consensus here, I'd say if your in the market and want it to be easy, like walk into a big box outdoor shop and walk out with one ask yourself this question. "Do I want tube fed or mag fed?" If you want tube fed then the classic Marlin 60 is the go to .22 of all time and cheaper than a 10/22. But if you want a mag fed (which can be easily upgraded and have a few on hand) then the quintessential American .22 rifle is without a doubt the Ruger 10/22, they've sold millions over the years and there's a tonne of after market swag for them.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #70

I've been looking into buying a .22 lately, just to play around with...but, I need some advice. My brother-in-law bought my nephew a Savage, and it's pretty accurate. As far as that goes, I'm looking for a rifle that is very accurate (out of box) and also has a high capacity clip under $200? Any suggestions?