Weak Spring ?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Weak Spring ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 03:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Weak Spring ?

Has any one ever had a magazine fed ..22 with a weak spring? What happens is when you get down to the last 8 rounds it isn't strong enough to push the shell in to the loading ramp. So it you reload it to the top it woreks well. Suggestions!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-25-2009, 03:55 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9573 Times on 4118 Posts
Likes Given: 1502

rifle, pistol, or shotgun ?(yes, Virginia, there ARE .22 rf shotguns) Assuming this is a box type detachable mag? Simple thing would be to replace the spring, or replace the mag. A spring that has been over compressed is not going to be restored PERMANENTLY by bending, stretching etc.

So- what gun? (And yes, I tend to collect 22s that were made in the 30s/ 40s, and have run into this problem)

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:25 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Another thought is to carefully clean the interior of the mag. The waxy build up from the outside lubricated .22 ammo can leave some nasty gunk in the mag. The combination of a weakened spring and gummed up follower could be the leading to this condition. Try cleaning the interior of the mag with a strong solvent and applying a VERY LIGHT coat of oil and see waht happens.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-25-2009, 08:19 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You make it sound like a magazine, but i believe you are describing a tube fed autoloader or pumpgun. Not to many magazines hold that many rounds. Crud is probably the likely problem. I have 90 year old Winchesters and Remingtons that still feed ammo right to the very last round. Not only clean the feed tube, clean the ramrod part that has the spring. TB

Hunters & Anglers: The first environmentalists are still the best!

Old 08-25-2009, 09:49 PM   #5

This is a Revelation I bought in Yuma back in 2000 at a pawn shop. I know I shot it but this was it's first hunt for the Richardson Ground Squrels. accuirate like you wouldn't beleave. It is the tube fed 22 bolt action. I'll give the cleaning the main tube a try but the spring just feels weak.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:05 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

IIRC, the tube spring does not have to be all that strong. I still lean toward gunk in the tube or in the loading area below the bolt.

"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-25-2009, 11:09 PM   #7

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gun View Post
This is a Revelation I bought in Yuma back in 2000 at a pawn shop. I know I shot it but this was it's first hunt for the Richardson Ground Squrels. accuirate like you wouldn't beleave. It is the tube fed 22 bolt action. I'll give the cleaning the main tube a try but the spring just feels weak.
When ever you doubt the function of a firearm, its always best to strip it down and clean it. It allows you to remove possable problems as well as inspect for possable future ones. Same thing goes for the mag. If you clean it out well and still have issues it may be worth looking into a new spring for it.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 08-27-2009, 11:51 PM   #8

When I win the lottery the first person I hire will be a gun cleaner.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:08 AM   #9

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Clean the tube

Quote:
2,take your cleaning rod with 2-3 .22 patches in the eyelet, soak with Break-Free, or Rem. Oil, and push in and out of the mag tube==the part that pushes the ammo when it is in the gun. I have done it with my Marlins, and it works!!

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 09-01-2009, 01:58 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
When I win the lottery the first person I hire will be a gun cleaner.
I don't trust anyone to clean my guns or change the oil in my vehicles. If I win the lottery, I will still clean my own guns. I might consider having my oil changed by someone else.

"Robo is right" Fuzzball