Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Weak Spring ? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/weak-spring-17323/)

2gun 08-25-2009 02:33 AM

Weak Spring ?

Has any one ever had a magazine fed ..22 with a weak spring? What happens is when you get down to the last 8 rounds it isn't strong enough to push the shell in to the loading ramp. So it you reload it to the top it woreks well. Suggestions!

c3shooter 08-25-2009 02:55 AM

rifle, pistol, or shotgun ?(yes, Virginia, there ARE .22 rf shotguns) Assuming this is a box type detachable mag? Simple thing would be to replace the spring, or replace the mag. A spring that has been over compressed is not going to be restored PERMANENTLY by bending, stretching etc.

So- what gun? (And yes, I tend to collect 22s that were made in the 30s/ 40s, and have run into this problem)

robocop10mm 08-25-2009 02:25 PM

Another thought is to carefully clean the interior of the mag. The waxy build up from the outside lubricated .22 ammo can leave some nasty gunk in the mag. The combination of a weakened spring and gummed up follower could be the leading to this condition. Try cleaning the interior of the mag with a strong solvent and applying a VERY LIGHT coat of oil and see waht happens.

tigerbeetle 08-25-2009 07:19 PM

You make it sound like a magazine, but i believe you are describing a tube fed autoloader or pumpgun. Not to many magazines hold that many rounds. Crud is probably the likely problem. I have 90 year old Winchesters and Remingtons that still feed ammo right to the very last round. Not only clean the feed tube, clean the ramrod part that has the spring. TB

2gun 08-25-2009 08:49 PM

This is a Revelation I bought in Yuma back in 2000 at a pawn shop. I know I shot it but this was it's first hunt for the Richardson Ground Squrels. accuirate like you wouldn't beleave. It is the tube fed 22 bolt action. I'll give the cleaning the main tube a try but the spring just feels weak.

robocop10mm 08-25-2009 10:05 PM

IIRC, the tube spring does not have to be all that strong. I still lean toward gunk in the tube or in the loading area below the bolt.

BigByrd47119 08-25-2009 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2gun (Post 150700)
This is a Revelation I bought in Yuma back in 2000 at a pawn shop. I know I shot it but this was it's first hunt for the Richardson Ground Squrels. accuirate like you wouldn't beleave. It is the tube fed 22 bolt action. I'll give the cleaning the main tube a try but the spring just feels weak.

When ever you doubt the function of a firearm, its always best to strip it down and clean it. It allows you to remove possable problems as well as inspect for possable future ones. Same thing goes for the mag. If you clean it out well and still have issues it may be worth looking into a new spring for it.

2gun 08-27-2009 10:51 PM

When I win the lottery the first person I hire will be a gun cleaner.

BILLYBOB44 09-01-2009 02:08 AM

Clean the tube

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2gun (Post 150700)

2,take your cleaning rod with 2-3 .22 patches in the eyelet, soak with Break-Free, or Rem. Oil, and push in and out of the mag tube==the part that pushes the ammo when it is in the gun. I have done it with my Marlins, and it works!!;);)

robocop10mm 09-01-2009 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2gun (Post 151896)
When I win the lottery the first person I hire will be a gun cleaner.

I don't trust anyone to clean my guns or change the oil in my vehicles. If I win the lottery, I will still clean my own guns. I might consider having my oil changed by someone else.