wax on ammo
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > wax on ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 03:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default wax on ammo

I just bought a colt m4 rifle (sweet gun) . The ammo I bought was cci mini mag my ? Is does all .22lr ammo have wax and if so why

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-13-2010, 04:24 AM   #2

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: Most come lubed with paraffin (jelly jar wax) or a water based wax coating and in some cases, grease.

This lube protects the barrel from leading but also acts as a preservative. I'm sure you have heard the mantra, 'keep your ammo in a dry, cool place.' Heat is a killer of ammo and more-so with rimfire. Either the wax melts into the cartridge fouling the powder and primer or exposes the case and lead to oxidation resulting in deforming/weakening to a dangerous condition.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-13-2010, 05:49 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default 22.lr

In ur opinion what's the best brand I had a few mis fires don't know if its the rifle or the ammo

Old 01-13-2010, 10:51 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

CCI is the best rimfire ammo, IMO. Unless you want to start spending a bunch of money on match grade stuff. I've also had good luck with Federal and Winchester but I only use those for plinking. I steer clear of Remminton, too many duds.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #5

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

My old Marlin bolt .22lr will eat about any ammo with out any problems, Though my Walther P22 is very picky and it loves the Winchester .22lr ammo

Old 01-13-2010, 11:51 AM   #6

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
CCI is the best rimfire ammo, IMO. Unless you want to start spending a bunch of money on match grade stuff. I've also had good luck with Federal and Winchester but I only use those for plinking. I steer clear of Remminton, too many duds.
Yep, CCI is the best, IMO. I found Aguila Eley primed to be good also. I stay away from the bulk packs. I bought some Winchester Xpert a couple years ago. Dirty and not accurate at all, about 10 duds per 100. I had never had a dud before in my intire life. A really good cheaper ammo is Winchester Wildcat. Sadly it seems the only place I can find it is on line. Aguila Centurian 38grHP is similar to Wildcat.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:59 PM   #7

My rule of thumb is, if its in a long plastic box... It works... I mainly use CCI mini mag and Winchester Super X in my sig 522 and havent had a dud yet..

WCU Rugby!

Lucky Taurus Owner... 3 out of 3! PT1911/ PT92F/ 44 Raging Bull

Old 01-13-2010, 11:48 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I can't recall ever having a dud with remington rimfire, right off the shelf anyway, but when I shoot remington every shot sounds different than the one before.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:36 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8877 Times on 3844 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

Why, no, not all .22 RF ammo has wax on it- some of my Match ammo feels like it has been dipped in Vaseline or KY Jelly!

The copper clad ammo seems to have less lube- the pure lead bullets are covered in the stuff- which is part of the reason why 22 ammo is so dirty to shoot. And until about the 1920s, MOST pistol ammo in larger calibers was similar- its called externally lubed ammo.

Ask 10 guys for recommendations on 22 ammo, get 12 responses. CCI works well for me, as does Remington Champion Target Standard Velocity. But my bolt guns will eat anything I can cram into the chamber.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.